Who has the old 70's Celica Turbo build?

88ZNX

Let loose the Boost!!
I've read about this car on here before and would like to know more about it. Thinking of building one. Whoever owns it please let me know

Thanks
Jason

88ZNX

It's me.
A busy life has taken over, so I haven't posted much lately.
What would you like to know about the car?

Paul

Hey Paul, thanks for the reply, I was thinking of building a hybrid like yours, but the car I was checking on getting wasnt for sale. But incase I find another one, did the engine clear the shock towers ok? did you make your motor and tranny mounts? what rear end?

Thanks
Jason

Hey Jason

The engine clears the shock towers with no problem. Actually it's a nice looking fit in the engine bay. The first swap started out with a stock non-turbo Buick V6, and I cut off the original motor mount pedestals and fabbed up something to go to the stock Buick mounts. When I went to the GN swap, I made up a new K member (Solved the oil pan clearance problem)
I also made a tranny cross-member and mount. Originally I ran a standard transmission (4 spd, then 5spd.) and then switched to the GN auto. Different versions were made.
Rear end is a chopped Ford 9" with Nissan 280 ZX disk brakes. Fabbed up some adjustable 4 link control arms and panhard bar. I used to run KYB AGX adjustable shocks off a Camaro, but switched to Gas-A-Just's. I also did some mods and run air bags in the coils as well.
Steering had to be changed to front steer rack and pinion. I started out with a std Toyota Tercell rack and then went to a Ford Mustang II power unit.
Front suspension was upgraded to struts/brakes from an 86 Toyota Supra, with adjustable coil-overs and camber plates. I just finished a front brake upgrade going with Infinity Q45 calipers and much bigger disks.

I have had the car for years, so a ton of things have been done to it over the years to get the GN drivetrain to work. Lots of had scratching and frustration. It isn't a swap for the meek. Electrical was a nightmare. (Should have just bought the Caspers harness, but no... I had to do it myself using an old burnt harness. Every single wire was traced, checked, replaced if bad, and then adapted to work with the stock Toyota's wiring.
Fueling was a pain as well. Had to run new lines psi and return from the tank to the engine bay. Ended up cutting open my gas tank and adapting it for a in-tank fuel pump, and bigger lines, as well as welded in some slosh baffles.

Dsc00309-1.jpg
dsc00611.jpg
dsc00613.jpg

Paul

Good Lord Paul, that sounds just like my brothers Camaro!:eek: ;) You have done an outstanding job with it. Very nice indeed. I will have to look around for something else since the car isnt for sale. I had a cherry 1977 Celica GT liftback 5spd that was canary yellow. It was a great car. I'd love to have that one back. Thanks for your time and info

Jason

Thanks Jason, not a problem.
They are getting harder to find. Good luck with the hunting.

Paul

COOL car !!! :eek:

Having driven in this car I can vouch that it is the definition of cool. Just don't eat first 'cause this thing absolutely TROMPS you back into the seat. Paul has done an absolutely incredible job, you'd be hard pressed to know it didn't leave the factory that way.

Ravi

Having driven in this car I can vouch that it is the definition of cool. Just don't eat first 'cause this thing absolutely TROMPS you back into the seat. Paul has done an absolutely incredible job, you'd be hard pressed to know it didn't leave the factory that way.

Ravi

All except the laptop stand! ;)
With the brand new paint & rear end work Paul did the thing is just plain Scary to ride in!!

This is one of my favorite conversions. With a TE-63 or larger this thing would be retarded fast. Love the color and how compact it is. A friend of mine in the late 80's had one with a SBF in it.