Which way to go???

turbotroy

Hey All, My 87 GN clone lost something in the trans the other day, so off to the trans shop it goes. The guy says he has built several 200r4's, and a few of them for GN's but a lot more for hotrod transplants and stuff. Anyways, I have compression in the 150-160 lb range, but I've noticed if I don't start the car for a week that I have a lifter that talks for a few minutes before it quiets down. The engine was built a while back, so all I KNOW for sure is that it has 42 lb injectors and a TA49 turbo. My question is with those 2 knowns, what cam and what stall converter would complement the turbo? The reason I'm contemplating cam change is my oil pressure cold is 60, but hot is 10 (or less) at idle. If I'm going to play with oil pump/and lifters, may as well do cam and timing chain while I'm there. I will be installing the alky kit too. Cheers!

What, no thoughts on this cause it's a "clone"? I also have 2 TR's, one with a TurboLou "mutton" engine, an AZ GN Trans, and a 46K Limited from the "almost" original owner. Biggest reason I bought the "clone" was I could beat on it and learn on it, without wasting the value of a "real" tr. The only reason that you couldn't tell this wasn't a GN, is no 7 in the vin, and I've never seen one with the antenna in the rear fender. Really folks, I could use some input. Cheers!

Last edited:
A 2800 will spool the 49 like crazy. But I would be more worried about the lifter noise and the lower than 10# oil psi. What cam/lifters does it have? Who rebuilt it? Was the oil pump replaced?

A 2800 will spool the 49 like crazy. But I would be more worried about the lifter noise and the lower than 10# oil psi. What cam/lifters does it have? Who rebuilt it? Was the oil pump replaced?

I ran a 212/212 flat tapped for along time with a te60 turbo and a 3200 lock up . I eventually machined out the TE 60 housing to accept a 6765 journal bearing and ran it with the same cam and converter . That got me to mid 11s with alky . I would go somewhere down that route so you have room to grow

Thanks for the replies, guys. I don't know what it has for a cam, if any. The converter "looks" fairly new, but I'm not sure what I have. I figure I would throw it out here as far as what cam/converter to go with the TA49, so I can tell the trans guy what converter to put in it. I could really care less about a cam, but if I'm going into it and pulling the front cover off to upgrade the oil pump, and I need to change a lifter, may as well go for a cam too. I know, it's more of that "while I'm there I may as well change..." mentality.
P.S. Where is Earl Brown?