Which shoes for S-10 cylinder swap?

That's the thing about drum brakes. In the old old old days of relined shoes, there was a machine that would shave them. You'd measure the exact diameter of the drum then shave the pads (filling the area with asbestos fibers) to make the OD of the shoes match the ID of the drums.

Nowadays you install the new shoes into slightly larger drums... at first only the center of the shoes touch the drums since the radius' doesn't match. Think putting a small soup can into a big soup can then laying it on the side (same reason I like tight bearing clearances).

As time goes by the contact patch gets wider and wider. And the center of the new shoe may or may not have gotten overheated while it was doing all the work.

From my motorcycle ATV days I've found that beadblasting the contact area of the drum really helps. The brakes work much better and it helps to 'shave' the shoes to the right shape while smoothing the drums at the same time. That was the only way I could make little 50 and 80cc ATVs stop after doing a brake job to neglected drums.

Hello everyone,
I changed out my rear cylinders for s-10'sand longer pads awhile back and am considering replacing the shoes/pads now.
I've done many many burnouts with them before I installed my line lock. So very possible my shoes are fried and my drums are glazed... Due to me not holding hardly any boost at the line before launch....maybe 1psi.
Which shoes & drums do I go back with please? GN or the '85 S-10?
Thanks in advance for any help fellas.

Are you pushing down on the foot brake as hard as you possibly can? I've made the mistake of just pushing it. You have to push it VERY hard in order to hold it at the line.

I was thinking of running this setup. What's your experience been with it? As far as holding better, and how it behaves on the street? Thanks for your time. I've seen a few posters
say the brakes were touchy after doing this swap.

They can be a little touchy with the S10 cylinders but it's not that bad you'll get use to it. A lot different than the PM brakes but most older cars on the road have vac brakes they are not uncommon. And I think the PM brakes can be that way to at times. And to address a point someone made about the bigger shoes... there is not a big difference on daily driving but having more grip and holding boost better at the line on the drag strip, yeah I believe they make a difference.

If you drove a car with good PM brakes and drove mine without knowing they are vac brakes, you wouldn't know the difference.

I changed mine over 15 years ago and never looked back.