Which route should I go

well now i have 2 setups a 79 riviera turbo and a 80 buick t type turbo...any ideas for this project would help

You are lucky I'm severely hung over today. I'll do your legwork for you I guess. Are you wanting this a bolt in and go or are you gonna do a trans and/or rearend? While I'm waiting for this info I'm gonna make some corndogs and look up some info-I'll be back.

BEFORE BLACK - Turbo V6 Exhaust Manifolds
This link explains the differences and similarities among exhaust manifold/crossover setups. I wouldn't bother getting any of these pieces off a riviera, they probably won't work. I'd go with tubular style manifolds but 81 up would work. if you want to keep your ecm you will have to get a 81-83 turbo carb, you might be able to use your old distributor and could probably use your ecm and wiring harness. The riviera turbos are different.

BEFORE BLACK - Turbo Notes

BEFORE BLACK - Turbo Conversion -read this for sure!

BEFORE BLACK - Blow-thru Turbo Conversion -I would do this unless I had a COMPLETE drawthru setup. I forgot how many pieces are involved with these setups until memory started to come back. Another option-big block pontiac or buick. Postonbuick sells gbody buick 455 swap kits last I knew.

thanks...for the info...the only thing i planned on changing was the rear end gears after i fabricate this turbo...The first thing im trying to do is to design a way to connect the turbo to the intake manifold....i forgot 2 mention now i have 2 carb turbo setups...one from a riviera and the other is from an 80 regal...also can you tell me which grand national headers will work with my 81 heads?

Ok now I'm lost. What exactly are you trying to do? If you are doing a draw thru setup all you need is a manifold to bolt a draw thru turbo on, then a plenum and carb. IF you are doing blow thru carb you need 86-87 headers and crossover, turbo, accessories and brackets I would assume also. And you would need a blow thru carb with boost reference and a carb bonnet.

all Im trying to do is install a 80 buick turbo carb on my 81 3.8 NA...but i do not have the intake manifold nor the exhaust manifold...So im trying to see if i make a custom adaptor and attach it the 4bbl intake so i could hook up the turbo/carb bonnet.... Ill go drawthru or whateva I just want this turbo carb installed...will 84 grand national headers fit my 81 3.8 NA Heads???? I know this is sort of hard trying to describe stuff over the internet...im just curious about the exhaust piping...I know on the carrb turbo exhaust it has 2 outlets ...do both of them outlets connect to the passenger exhaust manifold...?

I wish i did have enoguh dough for that...after purchasing these 2 carb turbo setups im sort of broke...All i want to do is carb turbo my 3.8 na thats it...I dont want to go thru the trouble of installing a grand national engine...this car will be strictly for sunday drives....the crown vic is fast enough...I just wanted to be the odd ball and have a turbo carb....

well today i found a std crank for 144 brand new....is there a such thing as a turbo cam...i called around today and the guy said i need a special cam to handle the stress of the turbo is this true?

carb1.jpg

carb2.jpg

Ok heres what im trying to fabricate to fit my 3.8na

could someone tell me which components in this list are needed by the turbo...so i can see what i need to hook up on my intake manifold

AIR Check valve
Oil return grommet
Turbine mounting bracket
EGR manifold and valve
PCV grommet
PEVR (power enrichment valve regulator)
Plenum support bracket
Knock sensor (accelerometer)
Plenum coolant feed port
Plenum coolant return port
Thermal vacuum switch
Vertical Thermostat Housing

You don't need the coolant ports, egr. you will need the support brackets. Don't know about the rest of the stuff. At this point you just need some little stuff. Did you get a hold of freddie yet? He knows way more than I do.

You're way over your head. This has to be done one step at a time. All parts had to of been located prior to conversion. The car will be down for a long time. Poor planning and very little research will create problems. Converting one part at a time is frustrating. Do a search on this site for turbo brackets. I posted pics of the turbo brackets needed.

could someone tell me which components in this list are needed by the turbo...so i can see what i need to hook up on my intake manifold....

AIR Check valve-Don't need
Oil return grommet-needed
Turbine mounting bracket-needed
EGR manifold and valve-attaches to plenum
PCV grommet-needed
PEVR (power enrichment valve regulator)-needed
Plenum support bracket-some say yes...I dont think so.
Knock sensor (accelerometer) Useless w/o ECM. Buy MSD, (big bucks)
Plenum coolant feed port-must match intake
Plenum coolant return port -must match intake
Thermal vacuum switch-for non ECM electronic distributors
Vertical Thermostat Housing-Must have!

turbo.jpg

turbo1.jpg

turbo2.jpg

I think have the mounting brackets....well the kit i bought off the riviera came with all the mounting brackets

From what I've gathered here in the forum the Riviera turbo set-up may not work with any Regal turbo intake manifold or set-up. Check with Rich or Eric fisher.

The turbo set-ups are two differant animals I think. :(

turbo.jpg

turbo1.jpg

turbo2.jpg

I think have the mounting brackets....well the kit i bought off the riviera came with all the mounting brackets

The top picture is a Riviera set up. The middle is a Regal.

The Regal set up mounts on top of the engine. The Riviera hangs off the back. The Riv turbo will hit the firewall in a Regal.

damn i guess that setup will be up for sale. I wonder if I can use the 4bbl carb off that Riviera setup and place it on an edlebrock performer intake...into i can fabricate the turbo components????