Which route should I go

well today i purchased a motor hoist and pulled the 3.8 out luckily i didn't get a scratch on the body...i did have to cut 1 wire because it was binded between the motor and chain...I still havnt decided which route im going...im going to look around pull apart and see what kind of engines they have...i know they advertise complete engine 300.00 even a guy that i worked with said someone got a lt1 for 500.00 out of a cadilac...also if i switch motors instead of getting my crossmember welded could i just get one from www.crossmembers.com and just bolt it right up?

well today i removed the oil pan, pump, pistons, rods and bearings i couldn't find anything wrong just a scratch on the crankshaft...i didn't indicate any cracks in the block...what should i do next?

Well here's my guess, antifreeze got in the oil and ate away at your bearings which created the knock, probably not real damage. Get the rods, block, crank all checked out and corrected, buy a kit and slap it together. Just as well get a turbo kit if you are going to turbo it.

well the block,heads,pistons,and rods are at the machine shop...the guy told me while im inside i should change the cam...which cam should i go with....and is it possible for me to use the factory connecting rods on forged pistons?

don't need forged pistons unless you got deep pockets and like to burn money. 204-214 cams are good for 10s, don't really need a whole lot of cam with these motors. Money is better spent on headwork above anything. The money spent on forged pistons could give you a nice set of heads. I got the 204-214 in my car with pretty much stock everything else and it pulls hard all the way;)

I plan on carb turboing the motor...right now all the engine parts are at the machine shop I plan on using the cam above if its what I need...should i replace the oil pump and timing chain while im in??

double roller chain and high volume pump. If you are on a budget and plan on just street driving stock stuff should be ok. What year kit are you using? I know stock 87 motors are good for tens so but they did change at some point but don't know what changed on them. If you are hellbent on putting in a cam go with the one I have 204-214. If edelbrock doesn't make it I think speedpro does. make sure you put in new 90-100lb valvesprings either way. n/a crank should be fine also along with stock replacement turbo pistons. make sure you use 2 dot rods and get arp bolts for the rods and heads at least

well the motor suppose to be an 81...I plan on street driving it but I would like to give stock cars a little challenge...Can the rods in there now be used with turbo pistons since they are being checked by the machine shop..how many lbs are the na springs...and today i got lucky and found a turbo setup with everything but the intake manifold,exhaust manifold...how would i go by installing and wiring a knock sensor?

81 should be feedback setup and have a knock sensor. You will have to match the turbo setup with your car. So if you have an 81-83 you will have to have a feedback setup, 81-83. If you have no feedback carb setup you will need a 79-80 setup. Get a hold of FREDDIES REGAL on turbobuicks or email b4black and they can set you straight

oh ok so I should use a 79 turbo intake manifold with the 79 turb/carb..will the 79 intake manifold bolt to my 81 n/a heads and block?

well i found out the setup is from a buick riviera t type...is there anyway i can use a passenger header from a gn on my 81 just so i can connect my carb turbo..ive searched all over i cant find a intake nor a exhaust manifold?? I see this project is going to take a while...

OK. Let's say I have an 81 GP. I want to keep the computer and all that stuff so I would have to get a 81-83 setup because it has an ecm setup and feedback carb. Or-I don't want to have an ecm. So I will go with the cars that have no ecm-78-80.

You need to go to the b4black website and do some reading. There are certain parts on the riviera ttype that won't fit the regal. You need to find out what that is. I think the crossover and manifolds vary from year to year. You should be able to use your driver' s exhaust manifold from your car but it's always good to have a spare. May be able to use an 84-85 manifold with little modification, not 86-87 though.

can someone explain the difference in the buick carb turbo on a regal and the buick carb turbo on a riviera...the setup i bought is from a 79 riviera and it doesn't come with the intake...will a intake off a 79-80 regal work with the carb turbo setup i got from a 79 riviera?

I would think the 79 intake would work. Don't quote me on this but I thing the upipe and exhaust housing and maybe the crossover was different. Have you tried a search yet?

yep ive tried the search...theres very little info on the buick riviera i tried search ebay to see a riviera t type engine bay but no luck...I hope i can get the pipe hes sending to work..I asked him about it all he said is it connects to both exhaust manifolds and then comes up to the rear exhaust side of the turbo...I also called the shop to see what have they found so far that was bad in the block.......they said i need a new camshaft,crankshaft,cam bearing, and freeze plugs...should i use all gn parts