Which route should I go

update: had to cut the pipe in front of my cat then i wedge it in the downpipe it fit perfectly just needs to be spot welded...I was going to test drive her this morning but i was told 4 quarts of trans fluid was all I needed when i looked it up myself it said 10.5 quarts...if i get some more fluid I might just take her for a 5 minute spin...i also replaced the water pump she runs cool .... ill let yall know further updates

Don't be scared Jobi-wan, go get that sucker and give it another chance! Can't be any worse than what I have

This thread makes me want to go drag my T-Type home and go through it. I was thinking about parting it out, but still not sure. It has the MSD 6A with an MSD BTM and always ran great. I don't remember exactly how it's setup though.

What year is it Jobi-Wan? If you haven't visited in a while you might want to do some reading on what's going on. Aj and I have kinda been stiring the waters. One of us will get to the solid 12's the only question is which one.:eek: My job just got REAL iffy and the boss said he has enough money to keep operating for May and then it's up in the air.
Lorenzo, was the tranny rebuilt and have you checked to see what the fluid level is at? If all that's been done is a filter change and you added 4-5 quarts you're ok, if it's been taken apart you may be in trouble. 10.5 quarts is for an overhual.

Thanks guys. Mine's an 83. It's strange...I've got a nice 87 GN that does everything better, but I can't bring myself to get rid of my first real car. I tend to do more searches about 83 T-Types than grand nationals. I'm going to try to get it to my house and in the garage, but finding time and any help is hard these days. It is kind of a basket case and would cost more to fix than it would ever bring, but I'd still like to drive it again, even if it was just roughed in. Good luck on the 12's. It's hard to believe a V6 from the early 80's capable of decent power is not more respected just because the intercooled cars are so much easier to make fast. I suddenly miss my boost lights. Keep it up guys. I'll start a new thread when I get it home.

Thanks guys. Mine's an 83. It's strange...I've got a nice 87 GN that does everything better, but I can't bring myself to get rid of my first real car. I tend to do more searches about 83 T-Types than grand nationals. I'm going to try to get it to my house and in the garage, but finding time and any help is hard these days. It is kind of a basket case and would cost more to fix than it would ever bring, but I'd still like to drive it again, even if it was just roughed in. Good luck on the 12's. It's hard to believe a V6 from the early 80's capable of decent power is not more respected just because the intercooled cars are so much easier to make fast. I suddenly miss my boost lights. Keep it up guys. I'll start a new thread when I get it home.

Sent you a PM so you get a better idea of what I'm planning.:biggrin: I like the fact I'm using some slightly different ideas and if you think your old 83 is bad I'll show you what I have to deal with. The rust bug was busy in the rear quarters and I'm gonna have to do a frame off to make it right.:eek: Several things will be done at that time like boxing the frame and doing some changes to the bracing of the rear supension mounts. I've got an A body rear so the 7.5 will be removed for a stronger one. OK, Hijack over with Lorenzo, get back to your car.:biggrin:

LOL wasabouttotest drive her today and the tranny lines i made with rubber hoseburst is there anywhere i can get after market tranny cooler lines

well i found some transmission cooler lines that were rubber and a little thicker than what i used the first time...however when i tried to test drive it it has nopower when i put it in gear and press the gas no power she wont even move i checked for vac leaks but couldn't find any please help

LOL was about to test drive her today and the tranny lines I made with rubber hose burst is there anywhere I can get after market tranny cooler lines

How long did it run after you found the line burst and how much fluid was under the car?

well I found some transmission cooler lines that were rubber and a little thicker than what I used the first time...however when I tried to test drive it, it has no power when I put it in gear and pressed the gas no power she wont even move. I checked for vac leaks but couldn't find any. Please help!

You want actual tranny fluid lines. You can also use power steering line for a good replacement but it's a b*tch to put on. Much stiffer. If it's not moving check the fluid level first. Car running in park ect, I'm sure you know how. Smell the fluid as well to see if it's burned. If it's burned you killed the foward (main imput) clutch. Not hard to replace and not expensive. Keep us informed.

i dont think its the tranny...well heres what it does the car runs good in park soon as i put it in gear the rpm drops pretty low and when i give it gas it wont tries to move but theres no power the trans isnt slipping...i think it had a vac leak when i put her in gear i can hear air coming fromm somewhere but cant seem to find it

i dont think its the tranny...well heres what it does the car runs good in park soon as i put it in gear the rpm drops pretty low and when i give it gas it wont try to move but theres no power the trans isnt slipping...i think it had a vac leak when i put her in gear i can hear air coming from somewhere but cant seem to find it

Ok, lets try this again. At idle in park it sounds good and revs easily, right? When you put it in gear the RPMs drop and it seems like it goes in gear. Then you press on the gas and it doesn't move or does it seem like it wants to die? The idle is suposed to be set in gear along with the timing. Get a timing light and see what you're timed at first. How far out are the mixture screws in the carburator? You may just have the wrong settings for the timing and carb. If you put the car in gear, step on the brakes and give it gas what does it do?

I just thought of something. How long has the car been sitting in one place and not moved? There is a reason I'm asking and it's one of those OOPS things. You had some serious rain recently didn't you.

Ok, lets try this again. At idle in park it sounds good and revs easily, right? When you put it in gear the RPMs drop and it seems like it goes in gear. Then you press on the gas and it doesn't move or does it seem like it wants to die? The idle is suposed to be set in gear along with the timing. Get a timing light and see what you're timed at first. How far out are the mixture screws in the carburator? You may just have the wrong settings for the timing and carb. If you put the car in gear, step on the brakes and give it gas what does it do?

I just thought of something. How long has the car been sitting in one place and not moved? There is a reason I'm asking and it's one of those OOPS things. You had some serious rain recently didn't you.

yes it revs good in park soon as i put it in gear i can feel it catch it...and when i press the gas the car moves but barely and the tranny isn'tslipping when looking at the engine it shakes like its missing and weak but when in park she idles good rev like shes suppose to

i keep wanting to drive it since i drove it the first time..I was under the hood adjusting the idle and i tapped the acelerator just a inch or 2 and i could hear it boosting...im pretty impressed compared to the way it use to be...im still scared to drive it since i dont have a knock sensor or detonation control...i see the point of this device now because soon as the boost kicks in i think i hear a little detonation and pinging...as for as the re end would it be cheaper to just gear swap or just find another rear end

I keep wanting to drive it since i drove it the first time..I was under the hood adjusting the idle and I tapped the acelerator just a inch or 2 and i could hear it boosting...I'm pretty impressed compared to the way it use to be...Im still scared to drive it since i dont have a knock sensor or detonation control...I see the point of this device now because soon as the boost kicks in I think I hear a little detonation and pinging...as for as the rear end would it be cheaper to just gear swap or just find another rear end

First things first. Are you in an area that has E-85 and are you using 93 or higher octain? If you have access to E-85 you can do a 50/50 mix and it's about 107 octain.(Cheap Trick and a good group LOL) I'd try this first to see if the det issues go away. PM Aj and he can shed some light on this as well. I gave him a link and it's late. I'm about done for the night. I wouldn't worry about the rear gears until you get the other issues taken care of. Just my $.02.

First things first. Are you in an area that has E-85 and are you using 93 or higher octain? If you have access to E-85 you can do a 50/50 mix and it's about 107 octain.(Cheap Trick and a good group LOL) I'd try this first to see if the det issues go away. PM Aj and he can shed some light on this as well. I gave him a link and it's late. I'm about done for the night. I wouldn't worry about the rear gears until you get the other issues taken care of. Just my $.02.

Well i was using 87 like a dumbass. Im going to fill her up with 93 and let you know what happens...As for as the engine pinging or knock it only occurs when in park or neutral and i can barely touch the butterfly and the rpm rises and i can hear it start making noise but it goes away when it idles and when its in gear..when driving i cant hear it.. if i ever find the control center esc i hope this will solve the problem into then its in the backyard i crank it every once in a while to keep everything oiled..while searchin the other day i also came up across this link petesbuick.html
also i love the way she sounds with the cam lopes a bit everybody can tell ive done something to it...I was wonering should i keep the factory cat or just cut it off...I was wanting to make this car quiet as possible

Since you've got 87 in it and you're planning to add 93 you need to add some E-85 to get a balance of sorts. That's a good link but it still uses a MSD BTM so you'll still need to get one. Gat the right gass and then see what she does. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.

Since you've got 87 in it and you're planning to add 93 you need to add some E-85 to get a balance of sorts. That's a good link but it still uses a MSD BTM so you'll still need to get one. Gat the right gass and then see what she does. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.

ill try tomorrow and let you know the results if i can get my camera to work ill shoot a short video...if the results are good i might drive it to the muffler shop and get the cat cut off

Just unbolt the cat from the back and bust the guts out of it. Cheaper and easier in the long run. As far as the knock at idle, turn the mixture screws out 1/4 to 1/2 turn more and see if it goes away.