Which oil should I use ?

No one uses Model 1 any more? I thought it was one of the better ones?

Is it better to use the blended or dino oils instead (10w30)? I currently use Castro Syntec Blend in my other cars. Should I just start using that on my Turbo Buick as well?

How about the "high mileage" oils that are supposedly for older engines and have more seal conditioners? Why not 10-40 instead of 10-30? Right now I'n running the Valvoline high mileage with Zddp.

The currently available verison (CJ) of rotella does not have enough wear additives in it for protection of flat tappet cams. You will need additional additives with it. If you're lucky enough to have the previous versions (CI), then it does have adequate levels of Zn and Ph. But then again, there is the issue of HDEO's having increased levels of detergents (calcium, etc.) for use in gas engines....

A much better HDEO to use would be Chevron Delo 400LE.

Diesel eng. turn a lot less rpm than our Buicks. There is a reason it is for deisels.

Rotella is commonly used in diesels but it says right on the bottle that it is formulated for diesel and gasoline engines. I emailed Rotella's tech line a few years ago to ask about using it in a turbo Buick application and they replied that there was no issues with using it in gasoline engines and that many fleets have been using it for over 20 years with no issues.

The currently available verison (CJ) of rotella does not have enough wear additives in it for protection of flat tappet cams. You will need additional additives with it. If you're lucky enough to have the previous versions (CI), then it does have adequate levels of Zn and Ph. But then again, there is the issue of HDEO's having increased levels of detergents (calcium, etc.) for use in gas engines....

A much better HDEO to use would be Chevron Delo 400LE.

I had read that the HDEO's had less additives now due to emission standards than they had in the past. I still have one or two more gallons of the older stuff before the emission standards changed but I am thinking of switching over to Royal Purple. Its pricey but they have some oils with plenty of additives and its fairly easy to come by.

It's not street legal because it supposedly has some ZDDP already in it. ZDDP is banned by EPA in street driven motor vehicles. But in the grand scheme of EPA violations (downpipes, test pipes, breathers, egr deletes, etc) it's pretty low on the violations.

My opinion on the oil is to stick with some name brand dino and the zddp. I used synthetic in one of my buicks and it leaked pretty bad. I have used blends though like Valvolines High Mileage blend and it seemed to work pretty well (leak wise) or just use dino and change frequently.
LOL, ain't that the truth! I wouldn't use rotella in mine. Too dirty in my opinion. Buicks being natural borne leakers, I wouldn't use Mobile 1 (although my Avalance and 160k Yukon have never seen anything else:biggrin:) !!! I prefer Mobile drive clean 10 w 30 w/ a touch of EOS. Can't go wrong, oil press never goes below 30 psi hot and motor is always squeaky clean when I tear it down cause I bew it up!!!!!,Dave

i use delo 15w40 and have been using it 18 yrs on all my cars with no issues:biggrin: and it also says right on the label for "diesel and gas engines"

a non-syn w ZDDP is fine. if no ZDDP, then use Amsoil/Royal Purple. if your car leaks like a mother, then go back to first option. even after changing the gasket and seal, it will leak. what buick TR doesnt leak?

erm, mine doesn't leak and i'm confused. Mate of mine runs 5/30 semi-synthetic and he's had the unopened motor for 12 yeras, you guys say not s/synthetic?

Ran Mobil1 Synthetic 10w30 for years after I replaced my valve springs I added a bottle of the GM break-in stuff. Later switched to Valvoline VR1 10w30 no additional additive the VR1 has enough zinc and phosphorous already. The "Not Legal" version has even more...again no need to add anymore, the VR1 racing oils are designed for high performance flat tappet cams.

Valvoline.com > Products > Racing

VR1 Racing Oil (VR1)
The #1 selling racing motor oil. High zinc provides race-level protection for any vehicle.

High zinc/phosphorus provides extreme wear protection, including flat tappet applications
Additional friction modfiers to help deliver maximum horsepower
Enhanced anti-foam system protects engine during extreme stress
Compatible with gasoline or alcohol fuels
Available through leading auto parts retailers​

Valvoline® Specialty Racing Oil ("Not Street Legal")
The low-detergent, high zinc racing oil optimized for track-use only, delivers increased horspower and extreme wear protection

High zinc/phosphorus provides extreme wear protection, including flat tappet applications
Low detergent formula to deliver maximum horsepower on the track
Recommended for race engines only
Available by request through NAPA, Carquest, O'Reilly, Jeg's and performance shops served by Keystone Automotive​

Valvoline® Racing Synthetic (VR1) Motor OilThe advanced racing synthetic trusted by top engine builders and crew chiefs to protect in extreme racing conditions.

Engineered to deliver maximum horsepower
High zinc/phosphorus for extreme anti-wear, including flat tappets
Track-proven to maintain pressure and protect from foaming
Available at participating AutoZone stores​

I use Valvoline in one car and Mobil 1 15-50 in the other car that needs synthetic oil for the DBB turbo.

No additives needed with either oil.

Cut and pasted:

" Mobil 1 15W-50 exceeds warranty requirements for gasoline engines where an API certified oil is specified. It meets:

API SM/SL

Requirements for Diesel Powered Vehicles where an API CF or API CD is recommended

Provides extra anti-wear additive for older vehicles

Mobil 1 15W-50 is formulated with SuperSyn, an extra-high viscosity synthetic fluid, plus extra anti-wear additive to provide extra protection for severe service applications such as towing, hauling and racing. Mobil 1 15W-50 is recommended for high performance vehicles including turbocharged and supercharged engines where a thicker oil film is desired.

Mobil 1 15W-50 is also recommended for older valve train designs that may benefit from a higher level of anti-wear normally not required for newer generation vehicles. Mobil 1 15W-50 will also provide better anti-wear protection for higher valve spring tensions in certain racing engines. "

Ran Mobil1 Synthetic 10w30 for years after I replaced my valve springs I added a bottle of the GM break-in stuff. Later switched to Valvoline VR1 10w30 no additional additive the VR1 has enough zinc and phosphorous already. The "Not Legal" version has even more...again no need to add anymore, the VR1 racing oils are designed for high performance flat tappet cams.

Valvoline.com > Products > Racing

VR1 Racing Oil (VR1)
The #1 selling racing motor oil. High zinc provides race-level protection for any vehicle.

Additional friction modfiers to help deliver maximum horsepower
Enhanced anti-foam system protects engine during extreme stress
Available through leading auto parts retailers​

Valvoline® Specialty Racing Oil ("Not Street Legal")
The low-detergent, high zinc racing oil optimized for track-use only, delivers increased horspower and extreme wear protection

Low detergent formula to deliver maximum horsepower on the track
Recommended for race engines only
Available by request through NAPA, Carquest, O'Reilly, Jeg's and performance shops served by Keystone Automotive​

Valvoline® Racing Synthetic (VR1) Motor OilThe advanced racing synthetic trusted by top engine builders and crew chiefs to protect in extreme racing conditions.

Engineered to deliver maximum horsepower
High zinc/phosphorus for extreme anti-wear, including flat tappets
Track-proven to maintain pressure and protect from foaming
Available at participating AutoZone stores​

+1

Valv Tech Line
to me

show details 8/17/09

The Valvoline VR1 Racing Oils contain 1400 ppm of Zinc and 1300 ppm of Phosphorus in the formulations. The Valvoline NOT STREET LEGAL Racing Oils contain the exact same amount of ZDDP. These levels will exceed any recommendation for ZDDP from any cam manufacturer. This information is also available on our product information sheets located at Valvoline.com.

Mobil Clean 5000 5-30 for the winter $11-- change every 2000 miles
bottle of zddp or 1/2 bottle of Eos every other oil change.
(may not need it i have a roller cam)

Pure one oil filter (yellow $6.39),

10-30 in the summer oil psi hot 20psi start up 65psi cruisin 40psi.:smile:

I wouldn't dismiss the synthetic diesel oils so quickly. They are highly recommended on the turbo 4 cylinder import side. These two specifically:
Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w-40
and
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40

They both meet the latest gasoline API requirements (SM/SL/SJ) even though they are diesel oils. And these were interesting finds in Mobil 1's 'Ask Mobil' section:

Can Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck be Used in a High Compression Car?
Question:
I was wondering if Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is safe to run in a standard American unleaded fuel only V6 DOHC high compression car? 5W-30 does not cut it for my needs and I want to use 5W-40 FULLY synthetic motor oil. So my question to you is, Will Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 have any ill effect on the motor I want to use the oil in? What makes the diesel oil so special? Does it supersede the oil made for gasoline engines?
-- Rick Speare, Clinton Township, MI
Answer:
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck is an outstanding oil that can be used in gasoline passenger cars since it carries API SM credentials, so we would not have any concerns about performance. Diesel engine oils generally contain higher levels of detergents, dispersants, and antiwear additives, but keep in mind that higher levels of the ZDDP antiwear additive can be detrimental to catalytic converters and other emission control equipment over time, which is why this additive has been reduced in ILSAC GF-4 oils. Also you will not see optimum fuel economy benefits with diesel type oil.

Which Motor Oil Is Best for Engines Using E85 Fuel
Question:
I am using E85 fuel in a converted Honda engine originally not designed for its use. One of the primary concerns of this is the formic acid created in the event of water contamination of the fuel. I have always used Mobil 1 5W-20, but am wondering if Mobil Clean or Extended Performance would be a better choice for me. What Mobil oil has the greatest amount of acid neutralizers in it?
-- Andrew Champion, Frisco, CO
Answer:
We recommend you use a heavy duty diesel product if you want additional acid neutralizer. We recommend you try Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 as it is based on HD diesel technology, which contains additional over-based detergents for acid neutralization.

I wouldn't dismiss the synthetic diesel oils so quickly. They are highly recommended on the turbo 4 cylinder import side. These two specifically:
Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w-40
and
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40

They both meet the latest gasoline API requirements (SM/SL/SJ) even though they are diesel oils. And these were interesting finds in Mobil 1's 'Ask Mobil' section:

Question:
I was wondering if Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is safe to run in a standard American unleaded fuel only V6 DOHC high compression car? 5W-30 does not cut it for my needs and I want to use 5W-40 FULLY synthetic motor oil. So my question to you is, Will Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 have any ill effect on the motor I want to use the oil in? What makes the diesel oil so special? Does it supersede the oil made for gasoline engines?
-- Rick Speare, Clinton Township, MI
Answer:
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck is an outstanding oil that can be used in gasoline passenger cars since it carries API SM credentials, so we would not have any concerns about performance. Diesel engine oils generally contain higher levels of detergents, dispersants, and antiwear additives, but keep in mind that higher levels of the ZDDP antiwear additive can be detrimental to catalytic converters and other emission control equipment over time, which is why this additive has been reduced in ILSAC GF-4 oils. Also you will not see optimum fuel economy benefits with diesel type oil.

Question:
I am using E85 fuel in a converted Honda engine originally not designed for its use. One of the primary concerns of this is the formic acid created in the event of water contamination of the fuel. I have always used Mobil 1 5W-20, but am wondering if Mobil Clean or Extended Performance would be a better choice for me. What Mobil oil has the greatest amount of acid neutralizers in it?
-- Andrew Champion, Frisco, CO
Answer:
We recommend you use a heavy duty diesel product if you want additional acid neutralizer. We recommend you try Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 as it is based on HD diesel technology, which contains additional over-based detergents for acid neutralization.

Modern DOHC 4 & 6 cyl. cars as mentioned more then likely have roller cams and do not need the additional addatives...wieght grades for different operating temps & turbos are a different issue. If you are running a roller cam pick your favorite oil, change regularly and be done with it. We are talking hi-performance motors with flat tappet cams where the current conventional & synthetic oils are a problem do to reduced ZDDP content. This is done to extend the life of catalytic converters but is a big problem with wiped cam shafts from reduced ZDDP. In this case run what you like and add ZDDP or run a Racing oil and no addative...pick a weight that fits your operating temp and again be done with it.

Diesel oils are going clean so the once high ZDDP diesel oils out there are also going away and no longer provide the needed ZDDP for a hi-performance flat tappet cammed motor.

kirban 2 cents worth

As the largest seller in the US of zddplus.....

Rotella...unfortunately the current rotella now has less zddp than the old rotella which is what magazine articles said to use before you had choices....rottella has stuff for soot control you don;t want in your gas engine....

Brad Penn is good oil and has more zddp than the current SM category from what I understand....however, if you want a simple solution it is far easier to use the oil you always used and add one bottle of zddplus...that one bottle into your 4-6 quart capacity will bring the zddp levels back to 1,800 ppm which is where it was in 1986-87 when your buick was new....Brad Penn does not hit those lofty numbers....current sm oil by law epa whatever can only have between 600-800 ppm.....

Remember wear happens gradually so while issues may not appear rite away. The more modified your engine is the more important it is to have sufficent levels of zddp like 1,800 like what was in the oil. simply look at your visor label notice the code it read sf back then translation 1,800 ppm was in that sf oil which is long gone from store shelves.

Plenty of solutions exist....I happen to believe zddplus is the easiest....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

The guy behind the product it owns 100 plus GNs....and a DNA lab...so its a pretty safe bet he has done his homework....