which muffler sounds best

we2man

Just, wanted to see what my turbo colleages think the best sounding exhaust is? Is it flowmaster borla or dynomax? thanks! L. Gentry

Chambered mufflers generally do not sound the best, possibly the dynomax straight thru or similar, would love to try a spin-tech, but I have not had mufflers in 20 years, got a turbo for that.

The best sounding Turbo Buick EVER is GNX X-RAY. The one-of-a-kind car has a one-of-a-kind sound. I commented to Rick while we were screwing around in the parking lot at Norwalk this year. His car sounds different then any other Turbo Buick I have ever heard. Rick tells the story like this. While he was working on the GNX project for ACS, they would get prototype parts in from companies all over, hoping they would get chosen to build the items for the GNX. Rick said they got in several different sets of mufflers and tried each set. Some were OK, some were terrible and so on. Well a set came in, and I think it was after the type had already been chosen. Rick listened to them...and then took them and put them away. One set only...no others. They are stainless, and on X-RAY. If you ever heard it...you would agree.

I had a flow-master installed when I first bought my GN. It sounded ok and I was brand new to these cars. Flow-masters always sounded better on other cars than mine. I took it off and went with straight through muffler and the performance and sound was much better. The straight through muffler are the way to go with these cars.

I had a flow-master installed when I first bought my GN. It sounded ok and I was brand new to these cars. Flow-masters always sounded better on other cars than mine. I took it off and went with straight through muffler and the performance and sound was much better. The straight through muffler are the way to go with these cars.
who makes this strait thru muffler and where can they be found? Sorry im still learning what gn parts are the best! thanks!

The best sounding Turbo Buick EVER is GNX X-RAY. The one-of-a-kind car has a one-of-a-kind sound. I commented to Rick while we were screwing around in the parking lot at Norwalk this year. His car sounds different then any other Turbo Buick I have ever heard. Rick tells the story like this. While he was working on the GNX project for ACS, they would get prototype parts in from companies all over, hoping they would get chosen to build the items for the GNX. Rick said they got in several different sets of mufflers and tried each set. Some were OK, some were terrible and so on. Well a set came in, and I think it was after the type had already been chosen. Rick listened to them...and then took them and put them away. One set only...no others. They are stainless, and on X-RAY. If you ever heard it...you would agree.
hello; Now if that is so differant and best sounding why wouldn't someone produce them for others? Maybe one and only is what one wants so that thought is out but it could be another choice. I'd like to here it as I thought I've heard em all.
IBBY

I think it depends on your age!
The younger you are, louder you want it,
The older you are , quieter you seek,
I personally prefer walker dynomax,
quiet idle, and some bark when you make boost.

Yeah flowmasters suck up a ton of power
I have gotten tons of compliments about how my car sounds like a v-8
I have straight through mufflers and exhaust is stainless from turbo to tips
I have this exhaust
http://buickgn.com/CatBack.htm

Here is how they sound!

-Dan

jlat said:
hello; Now if that is so differant and best sounding why wouldn't someone produce them for others? Maybe one and only is what one wants so that thought is out but it could be another choice. I'd like to here it as I thought I've heard em all.
IBBY

You would have to consider this...companies were asked to make mufflers for a very limited amount of "factory special" cars. When the muffler wasn't chosen...why would they make more??? Like I said, I think the production muffler was already chosen. The 2 mufflers that Rick has on his car were late to the show. He took them for his own use. I believe it was a small company that built them. This is no story...Rick is a member of this forum. If I have mis-spoken, he will correct me. PM him and ask for yourself, but I'm telling you...line up 20 Turbo Buicks...start them one at a time...and you will hear 1 that is totally different then all the rest.

Just, wanted to see what my turbo colleages think the best sounding exhaust is? Is it flowmaster borla or dynomax? thanks! L. Gentry

I have the ATR 2 1/2 inch stainless Pit Bull mufflers. Besides a drone at highway speeds I like them but if I am correct they are out of business. Bruce

I had the ATR pitbulls also. Loved the sound but hated the drone. I went with RJC 3" with cross-flow muffler and absolutely love it.

The best sounding one is the one I can't hear.. That's why I did the 3 muffler setup..

KS

I went with DynoMax VT mufflers. ZERO drone at cruise and the valve opens inside when you hammer it.

Bryan

I went with DynoMax VT mufflers. ZERO drone at cruise and the valve opens inside when you hammer it.

Bryan

Damm I was just lookin for a new muffler for the wagon ... I looked at them in Summit BUT I don't always believe what they print :rolleyes: Might give it a whirl.. We have had just about every type of mufflers out there back in the late 90s early 2000's including "spintech".. They didn't impress me BUT like others have said it maybe a generation thing !! I want quiet but performance to :cool:

I have a ATR 2.5 SS kit that my Dad bought in 1994 with the SS Dynomax Ultra Flows. No drone and pretty quiet after 18 years. To give you an idea I was driving next to my buddy on the highway and he has the RJC X-Flow. I could hear his car over mine at 70MPH. :)

THE BEST SOUNDING/PERFOMING MODERN ERA MUFFLER ON THE MARKET TODAY IS THE PYPES RACE PROS