which is the fastest?

Razor said:
You want to see expensive. get a Syclone/Typhoon :eek:
100000% right on here

my ty was 13.6-13.9 bone stock 13.1 with a chip and more boost
my last gn was 13.6 with tires 13.8 with out tires stock 12.8 chip, boost and tires only

my gn runs 12.0 right now and has less then 2000k in it
my ty, well never runs and when it does is not long enough to get to the track before something stupid goes wrong putting it down for a bit again. and i dont want to say what i have in that

never had a tta but i am looking for one.

the ty at the gmhtp mag shoot out "chris's" is one of the fastest "and nicest" stock tys i have ever seen i can think of only 1 other that was as fast but i was there and did see his run it. most are 14.10-50 and as said above the sy's are about .30-.50 faster depending on the driver, it is all in the 60' with these things.

Anybody keeping count on # of people pulling for which one is fastest? :confused: I haven't counted but seems about even to me.

Besides the turbo set up of course, is there any difference in the long block of the syclone compared to a 4.3 from an astro van or s10 of the same year?

That was part of the problem. The stock motor was like the stock vortec 4.3 motor. It even had fast burn vortec heads which promoted detonation. The computer did its best to limit the performance but when different chips were added it was a touchy motor

only"T"intown said:
Besides the turbo set up of course, is there any difference in the long block of the syclone compared to a 4.3 from an astro van or s10 of the same year?

Pretty similliar Low Compression Hypereutectic Pistons & Nodular Caps, but the same as all other S-10 4.3's. (The Astro Van 4.3 actually has a better cam) The Intake Manifold is different if you counting that as part of the long block.

The rods and pistons are undersized for the application. The heads and cam aren't high performance much like the LC2 peices, the heads in particular detonation prone.

TTA850 said:
Bone stock with 5500-6000 miles if I remember correctly. Just cause yours ran 14.1 doesnt mean they all did ;)

Steve,

as cool as that was--you and I were the only ones there to see this.

That time was an ABSOLUTE fluke--i call BS on it.
All the other Ty's were a 1/2 second slower than that one pass by that ty(that was a 1/2 second++) slower on every other pass that day.

Geoff

I have to say the TTA is the winner in both categories. A Syclone and the TTA will probably run neck and neck in the standing quarter mile, however give the TTA some sticky tires to get a better 60ft and the Sy will be left behind. Since we're only talking about bolt-ons, the TTA wins again. If you take a TTA and a GN with the same mods (chip, exhaust, turbo, injectors, etc) the TTA will come out about .4 seconds ahead. I'm basing this opinion on what I've seen at the track.

Pretty similliar Low Compression Hypereutectic Pistons & Nodular Caps, but the same as all other S-10 4.3's. (The Astro Van 4.3 actually has a better cam) The Intake Manifold is different if you counting that as part of the long block.
The rods and pistons are undersized for the application. The heads and cam aren't high performance much like the LC2 peices, the heads in particular detonation prone.

that sucks, GM never thought that through.

im still going with the GN, their easier to find, there are more parts availiable, I personally like the way they look better, never liked the looks of the 3rd gen firebirds.

it dosnt seem to really matter though, there all so close quarter time wise that its really a toss up. get the one you like the best.

prop shafts and tranny are really not a problem if you have them worked likey should be just like a 200r4 in a buick.

Phillip long has the fastest AWD truck in the country 7.00 @ 100 in the 1/8 mile.

the blocks are tough. pistons are fragile. but dollar for dollar i'll take a 4.3 chevy with a set of vortec heads over a 3.8 GN1 headed motor and make more power and the Block will live in the chevy with out a girdle.

the chevy just needs a good set of pistons and a decent cam. a buick takes big heads and cams. plus it being a chevy parts plentiful. The AWD set-up came from a asto AWD minivan so there are parts out there. how many 4.3 chevy powered cars and trucks out there VS a turbo buick.

but for all around power and comfort get a buick.( thats why i have a bucik) TTA's are rattle traps like any F-body and are not compfy. the syclone's are cramped 2 seater's and a Typhoon has good comfort but are heavy and a tad slower.

my friend has a 93 typhoon that she bought new and it has 160k all orignal the only thing that she has had done is exhaust and a tune up that was 2 yrs ago i done that for her.

those are my 2 cents Flame suit on :mad:

ghall said:
Steve,

as cool as that was--you and I were the only ones there to see this.

That time was an ABSOLUTE fluke--i call BS on it.
All the other Ty's were a 1/2 second slower than that one pass by that ty(that was a 1/2 second++) slower on every other pass that day.

Geoff
i was there and it was not a fluke thats for sure. my ty was almost as fast stock with 63k miles. all cars there that day where doing very bad other then the 1 12.0 by the z06 most of his runs where all 12.4-6 the tta was all about 13.7-14.1 and the tys all had crap runs. i mean even the stock sy was running 14's i know all them guys and have the entire day on tape and dvd and can say without a doubt other the the 1 run from the ty "chris's" and the 1 run from the zo6 12.0 all runs did crappy. i guess the gnx did ok with a 13.3 and a 13.5 but even that was off.

SloGN said:
prop shafts and tranny are really not a problem if you have them worked likey should be just like a 200r4 in a buick.

Phillip long has the fastest AWD truck in the country 7.00 @ 100 in the 1/8 mile.

the blocks are tough. pistons are fragile. but dollar for dollar i'll take a 4.3 chevy with a set of vortec heads over a 3.8 GN1 headed motor and make more power and the Block will live in the chevy with out a girdle.

the chevy just needs a good set of pistons and a decent cam. a buick takes big heads and cams. plus it being a chevy parts plentiful. The AWD set-up came from a asto AWD minivan so there are parts out there. how many 4.3 chevy powered cars and trucks out there VS a turbo buick.

but for all around power and comfort get a buick.( thats why i have a bucik) TTA's are rattle traps like any F-body and are not compfy. the syclone's are cramped 2 seater's and a Typhoon has good comfort but are heavy and a tad slower.

my friend has a 93 typhoon that she bought new and it has 160k all orignal the only thing that she has had done is exhaust and a tune up that was 2 yrs ago i done that for her.

phil is not the fastest. the guys from sweeden are with a 8.98 1/4 @ 155

Raist103 said:

the potato farmer Shawn Miles from Idaho has gone 9.04 @ 157. I have the video E-mail me if you want it. This was on street tires.

Raist103 said:

i said in the country (usa ) they are AWD and running those times DAMN

SloGN said:

what i should have said was he has the fastest stock unopened motor AWD truck. i have been out of the SY/TY stuff for a while Philip is a kewl guy tho.

slowgn I dont know about the buick needing gn1 heads cam etc. I saw a guy out west here that ran an unopened motor and broke into the 10s with maybe at most new valve springs. I dont know if that is possible with any sy/ty motor. I have never seen or read about it. I dont know if any of the Ta guys have done that either? The 4.3 block should be strong I thinks its basically 3/4 of a v8 block?

Times in sig have been done on stock crank, rods, pistons, no girdle, original GM rings, all GM bolts amd hardware.. full weight ;)

Numbers were done fall of last year, done at BG this year, and replicated two weeks ago..

Wont see a Syclone or Typhoon turns these numbers with stock anything.

Flame suit is on :D

Razor said:
Times in sig have been done on stock crank, rods, pistons, no girdle, original GM rings, all GM bolts amd hardware.. full weight ;)

Numbers were done fall of last year, done at BG this year, and replicated two weeks ago..

Wont see a Syclone or Typhoon turns these numbers with stock anything.

Flame suit is on :D

Phillip Long ran 10.93 @ 121.99 and a 40 shot of Nitrous with an opened OEM short block, stock crank, rods, pistons, no girdle, original GM rings, all GM bolts amd hardware.. Full Wieght Truck. It also ran 11.10 @ 118 without the N2O.

dgoodhue said:
Phillip Long ran 10.93 @ 121.99 and a 40 shot of Nitrous with an opened OEM short block, stock crank, rods, pistons, no girdle, original GM rings, all GM bolts amd hardware.. Full Wieght Truck. It also ran 11.10 @ 118 without the N2O.

The last time i talked to philip when he was @ mark's place (turbotune) he was still running the AWD.