Which is Better?

The SFI puter system is a lot more sophisticated than the hot-air cars. The hot-air stuff is more like a ball-park adjustment. So MAPS, O2, TPS, BARO, and TCC dealt with fuel control on a narrow range. Those sensors are worthy of keeping if the OEM hot-air puter system is to be maintained. The other emissions stuff on the hot-airs was the real concern by OEM, (albeit crude). Most of it was junk anyway after five years. This included various vac sensors and carb canister stuff along with the A.I.R. pump and the cat.

I was trying to keep it simple for him Freddie. He's not just a newby but green as well.:smile:

But all of our maf pipes are metal:rolleyes: Plastic also=less weight....well sometimes

Well I have seen someone make a pipe out of PVC tubing. Kinda ugly but very functional.:biggrin:

If you don't have emmisions you can get rid of the canister but if you plan on having the puter do it's job it may set a check engine light. If you put the filter behind the head light it would be easiest.

Removing the charcaol cannister will not turn on the Check Engine light.

Don't plug the hoses from the cannister to the carb.

Removing the charcaol cannister will not turn on the Check Engine light.

Don't plug the hoses from the cannister to the carb.

so its safe to take out without any reprocussions? and in your opinoin which one works the best... and i love your website... big fan.

Don't put to much work into this. After the stock air filter box, the carb elbow is the restriction. Just get a decent cone filter to replace it somehow. That's the biggest bang for buck/effort Worrying about 90° bends and laminer flow is very small potatoes.

I used a K&N #RE-0810 and a 3"x3" coupler. The coupler was in the RV sewage hose section at the hardware store. :redface:

The downside is if you drive the car in the very cold (<40°F), it might cuase a bog when you accelerate. The Air Filter box used the flapper door to keep the incoming air warm.

I moved the air filter to behind the bumper. The incoming air is still 20° warmer than ambient. About the same as when it was under the hood next to the fan shroud.

Do it this way. Remember to plug the little hose going to the thermal sensor in the carb elbow, otherwise it will be a vacuum leak to the carb.
cone82.JPG

The extra effort getting fancier won't result in much. Use that time and effort to do something else like water injection, a knock gauge, etc.

so its safe to take out without any reprocussions?

There is no benefit to removing the charcoal cannister unless you need room for something else. It's just a big charcoal filter to trap gasoline vapors from the fuel tank. Removing it won't hurt anything engine-wise. Might lead to global warming though. :wink:

There is no benefit to removing the charcoal cannister unless you need room for something else. It's just a big charcoal filter to trap gasoline vapors from the fuel tank. Removing it won't hurt anything engine-wise. Might lead to global warming though. :wink:

cool... :) is the opening at the end of the intake where you connected the air filter and the intake duct 3 inches in diameter?

I unplugged the Flux Capacitor on mine and the check engine light did not come on.....:biggrin:

How's dat Charlie??? :D

Somewhat agree. The canister actually stores the fuel vapors and releases them into the fuel bowl during cold start-up. Minor savings in fuel consumption. I will always maintain and keep mine. But Rich is right, removing it allows for more room for something else.

As for global warming, those tree huggers should go outside right about now and kiss a light pole. It's getting so darn cold here in Florida that images of a dog stuck to a fire hydrant come to mind. :biggrin:

-2 tomorrow, -4 friday. Yeah, global warming my @ss. My friend's dad says it's a load of crap and he's a big wildlife and lake conservist

I thought those were for paying the bills that heap up on the table:confused: You're actually supposed to KEEP money in those? :eek:

You sound like my EX Jesse. She didn't understand you have to keep a portion of your pay so you can have a cushion if you need it. Needless to say that's just one of the reasons we're not together now. Stupid bi-polar female.