Which injectors with at TA-49 turbo

Steve, I think the most important thing to remember with these cars is simple = fun and less problems cause you and azgn know better than I do that once you get faster than mid 11's with these cars you may not like what follows....... :D ;)

Yeah...we learn that after the fact... LOL

We all start out the same way...let's add a little magic here and a little more there..then one day, we wake up and realize that all we do is fix things...:D

I got 009's and its fine with me nothing hard to tune. Except for the little tip-in-stumble. I got several chips from Joe L. and a chip from Jim Testa, like the Joe chip better.

Originally posted by 86brick
UNGN, runs that combo if I'm not mistaken (TA49 turbo and 36's with Thrasher chips) with a stock D5 converter he's running mid 11's @118mph also with a stock big neck intercooler!!! Just goes to show how fast these cars can be with a simple combo :)

And I've spent about $1500 upgrading to 55#'s and doing motor work to go about .3 quicker (shooting for 11.2's ...sure I am)...then I have to put a rollbar in it and I'll probably break my original trans or drive over my stock shortblock crank so I figure I'll have about $4K total in that .3 seconds by the time I'm done :)

Looking back, I'll probably wish I just kept the bluetops.

That's kind of like my friend with his '99 6spd WS6 ls1 Trans Am. That car was running mid 12's @114mph with about $3k in bolt on mods with no bottle and then when he added the bottle (125 shot), 4.10 gears, and MT E/T Streets the car ran 11.70's @122mph. The next pass the rearend broke and two weeks later the tranny was shot and he thinks after another year of spraying the car he'll probably end up spending $2k for a 12 bolt rear and who knows how long the motor and tranny will last. I don't care what you drive, the bottom line is speed costs and the faster you want to go you'll end up spending more money on go fast parts and especially on fixing stuff that breaks. I don't think they'll ever build a performance car that won't break if you race it!!!

Thanks for all the feedback. Guess the best package is with 008 injectors with the TA-49. But there is a lot of interesting proposals from the members. My engine is pure stock. I don't have plans to go into the 10s. So uping the ante to a bigger turbo and injectors is not for me.

Great feedback, though....:)

What are 008 injectors? I've never heard of those. If they are 36# injectors, they aren't what you want. You want either 36# accels or real bluetops (I think they are also known as "967" injectors)

Originally posted by UNGN
What are 008 injectors? I've never heard of those. If they are 36# injectors, they aren't what you want. You want either 36# accels or real bluetops (I think they are also known as "967" injectors)

I guess I am learning about the injectors. Lucas makes a 008 (36lb) and an 009 (42.5lb). As I read the posts I am getting the distinct impression unless I am going all out that the 36 lb. is all that I need or really want. However, you have brought an interesting point that I have not considered. Which brand is better for my application? That I know nothing of....:( :confused:

Originally posted by Steve Wood
009s are great injectors and work very well. The problem lies in the chip maker not the injector.
With that being said, who are the right chip makers to turn to?

I bought My car about a year ago and i'm a GN newbie. I was told that the car has a Ta-49 turbo and bluetops. She runs great!!. But like I said I'm a newbie, how do I tell if i realy have a ta-49 turbo and is there a way of knowing if i really have bluetops.
thanks guys

Originally posted by Mike Mags
I bought My car about a year ago and i'm a GN newbie. I was told that the car has a Ta-49 turbo and bluetops. She runs great!!. But like I said I'm a newbie, how do I tell if i realy have a ta-49 turbo and is there a way of knowing if i really have bluetops.
thanks guys
Well the blue tops will have blue tops:D You have to measure the turbine wheel and exhaust wheel or count fins to see if it is a 49. From what I recall the 49 has 10 and the stocker has 14. Go to gnttype.org under turbo photo guides in the technical section and you will see it.

I believe there was more than one Bosch injector with a blue top...but most likely it is the right one...write down the numbers and then go to the mailing list and look up the number from the injector listing.

008's were actually flowed with an output of 38 lbs. I had them in my car going 11.78 and they didn't seem to have much left in the tank. If you can't afford 50's get 009 42.5's and sell them later (someone will always buy them) and enjoy.

pwhite, SMC Enterprises - Phone # is 270 - 522 - 9376 or email: schlupsa@kih.net....... The SMC Alcohol Injection kit was probably the best mod I've ever bought dollar for dollar and Steve is a great guy to deal with! Enjoy:)

yes, the blue tops and the Accels are supposed to be the same injector as I understand it.

A good starter chip would be the Thrasher for bluetops....