Which headgaskets for 4.1 and o-ringed 8445s?

cool 84

Got hotair?
I hope this is going to work. Just got my heads in and didn't realize they were going to come o-ringed. I'm running a 4" bore and I'm really hoping this combo is going to work. Running Felpro 1000s with the non o-ringed heads right now. I'm a little nervous the o-ring is going to sit in the bore. Any suggestions on gaskets? I'm already running head studs.

For what it's worth, the rings are maybe 1/10" apart.

I think the Fel-Pro gasket no. for the 4.1 are 1026.
My heads from Weber have the o-rings almost touching between the bores. I am using the Fel-Pro 1000's on my 3.8 with these heads. So far so good!
GN1wire.jpg

I think the Fel-Pro gasket no. for the 4.1 are 1026.
My heads from Weber have the o-rings almost touching between the bores. I am using the Fel-Pro 1000's on my 3.8 with these heads. So far so good!
View attachment 49463

So I can run the 1000s with the o-ringed heads? That would be great because I have a set already. My o-rings have just a little more space between them but not much. Are the o-rings supposed to line up with the fire ring on the gasket? Thanks!

Copper and GE 1200 sealer

So I can run the 1000s with the o-ringed heads? That would be great because I have a set already. My o-rings have just a little more space between them but not much. Are the o-rings supposed to line up with the fire ring on the gasket? Thanks!

I 'd say the Felpro 1000 bore is too small for the 4.1 block and will not get compressed where they are exposed to the combustion chamber.
The o-rings are to back up /reinforce the fire ring within the gasket thereby holding them in place longer(hopfully forever):biggrin: HTH
John

I 'd say the Felpro 1000 bore is too small for the 4.1 block and will not get compressed where they are exposed to the combustion chamber.
The o-rings are to back up /reinforce the fire ring within the gasket thereby holding them in place longer(hopfully forever):biggrin: HTH
John

I've heard that the 1000s won't work before but that's what I've been using. Going to pull off the old heads today. I'll pay attention to what the fire ring area looks like before I pull the gaskets off.

I was under the impression that special headgaskets were needed for O-ringed heads. Didn't realize they "back up" the fire ring. I thought they took the place of the fire ring.

This thing is turning into a real nightmare. Can I just pull the o-rings out of the heads and run the 1000s like I've been doing? Do I have to get the grooves machined out of the heads? I can't find Buick v6 copper gaskets on the two sites posted. I really don't want to run a custom copper gasket. Is there a copper gasket already made for the 4" bore V6? If so, do I just bolt the heads on and the 0-ring will embed itself into the gasket?

O-ringed heads work great with stock gaskets. I have been running this setup for years with no problems.

O-ringed heads work great with stock gaskets. I have been running this setup for years with no problems.

As crazy as this sounds, to verify, you're running heads with the o-rings in them, not just heads with reciever grooves, right? I'm wondering if this setup would work with the 1000s. When I tore the heads off, the fire ring was just about in the cylinder with my 4" bore. Too close for comfort but I can't find a gasket bigger than the 1000. Thanks for the help.

What about the fel-pro 1007? they are for a 4.1" bore.

Pre-Flattened Steel Wire Ring Head Gaskets
The strength of steel wire sealing with minimum brinelling of aluminum heads.

Pre-Flattened Copper Wire Ring Head Gaskets
Copper will not brinell aluminum heads, and these gaskets also offer superior heat dissipation from combustion hot spots.

Loc Wire Ring Head Gaskets
Loc Wire gaskets are engineered to provide the best sealing available for severe applications. They have oversized wire rings that lock into receiver grooves which must be machined into the cylinder heads. Precise machining is critical to the success of these gaskets.

*Each gasket type is sold 1 per package

View in Current Catalog
Complete list of Fel-Pro Wire Ring Head Gaskets

Fel Pro #375-1007

Loc Wire Ring Head Gasket
1975-88 Buick V6
Bore 4.100''
Thickness .039''
Volume 8.6cc
More Details
$64.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fel Pro 1007 Details

call anderson performance, tell him what you got, he will sell u the proper gasket for your application. (thats what i did) just bought a set for my .035 over 4.1L build. however mine are not ringed.

I have used the Felpro 1007 with receiver grooves in the heads on my 3.8 L with no problems. Compression is 8.5:1.