Which exhaust for a street car

sixster

I am in need of a new exhaust ,cat back what's a good choice for a summer driver . I want dual pipes , good flowing 2-1/2. Or 3 " the car has a ta49 , 36# inj , thdp and a few other bolt ons .
I am not looking for a real load exhaust
Thanks

i would go with pypes stainless steel, or Hooker system. I like love my hooker exhaust and the aero muffler. Just for rust resistance, i would have gone pypes tho. I had to coat(hi temp spray) my hooker kit.

If you don't need it right away, I know where there is a used hooker 2 1/2" cat back dual setup that will be on the market soon if you find that is what you are after. I'd say it's pretty quiet.

Hooker exhaust is the best Ive seen for a street car. Not much drone, good sound and performance.

Ive ran the times in my signature through one.

The Pypes is nice but kind of a PITA to install. Good quality just takes a while to make it clear everything. Even then its close to a coil spring on one side or the other. Maybe could have been that particular we were working on.

Exhaust System Choices

Which ever way you go....suggest you choose a stainless steel exhaust system.

Pypes, RJC, Cotton, or look for a used ATR or Kenne Bell...whatever.....do it once and do it right with SS.

It will be the last exhaust system you will be buying! 2 1/2" (or 3" which is slightly louder).....

Make sure your mufflers are a turbo (straight thru design) and are stainless as well.

Just me 2cents.

For best street manners, Hooker 2.5" w/Areo's is hard to beat. Relatively quiet and practically no drone. I'm partial to loud however, and love the GN1 3" SS. :)

hello people; I just want to add while your at it look into going cat less or hi flow cat as that will help any car. Street or not.
I have the RJC and I'm happy with it. I do have a 3" cat and I'm looking into the thoughts I spoke about. It's a street car.
IBBY

Unless you get a very good deal on a used hooker system, I would just spend the money and get stainless and be done with it. The only reason why I got the hooker system is because I got it very cheap

Hooker system lasted at least 12 years on my black car and the noise was tolerable. I have a TH 2.5" dual on my blue car which is considerably loude than the Hooker but tolerable. Anything else ive experienced is just too much to cruise in. Im convinced a straight pipe with no muffler would be quieter than some exhaust systems with mufflers.

Dual 3" in stainless steel.

2.5" systems are higher pitched and drone annoyingly a bit more.

3" is nice deep tone, get stainless everything, pipes and mufflers, Ultraflows work great and flow great too.

Kenne Bell 2.5" stainless system has made it through 24 winters on my car. :cool:

3" ATR stainless crossflow on the other car sounds a bit better though. ;)

I've heard straight pipes with no mufflers, and the single shot exhausts out there too, great for a once a month driver and that's about it. :eek:

If you go that route beef up your sound system. :p

it looks like a very nice piece. but in terms of performance would a dual from the cat back with two mufflers flow more? or is there not much of a difference on anything less than a 9sec car?

hello people; I have no idea of which one has the the best flow. Look at the RJC. It's almost like a straight shot. IMO a straight shot has to have the best flow but I have no proof
IBBY

Get with Mark at TR Custom Parts and get the 3 inch system he sells. GN1 3 inch. I went with that system and the matching 3 inch downpipe and it was a huge gain over the all stock parts I had. My car had 15,900 miles on it when I changed it. I have since got the downpipe Jet-Hot coated inside and out. Also got the cut-out.

:biggrin:

Say on a car that runs 11s
Is there an advantage running a system
with two mufflers over a single muff?