Which Dynomax muffler is quieter?

Rockale

I was researching and couldn't find a thread comparing the super turbo and ultra flow mufflers. I have the super turbo's which are a little on the loud side, if the ultra flow's are quieter will it be a big difference? Am I better off sticking with the super turbo's?

Bryan beat me to it. The ultra flows should be louder since they are a straight thru design. The super turbos are not. The TR's like the ultra flows better. I'm changing my Dynomax race magnums(getting rusty) to stainless welded magnaflows. Pretty much the same muff. Nice rumble..no drone.

Here is the flow numbers for the Dynomax VT mufflers
Screenshot_2014-11-30-10-42-37.png

I have a random question... I had my wideband installed into my downpipe by a shop and the guy who installed it took my stock O2 sensor out. Do I need the stock O2 sensor Installed?

I have a random question... I had my wideband installed into my downpipe by a shop and the guy who installed it took my stock O2 sensor out. Do I need the stock O2 sensor Installed?
Not needed

Bryan

the ultraflow welded are quieter than the ultraflow polished. looks like the VT even outflows the magnaflow.. interesting.

I like the sound of the Hushpower straight thru muffler. Like it better than my old Hooker and Magnaflow straight thru muff.

Joe

Attachments

• 20140813_191528.jpg
    20140813_191528.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 212
Sorry for getting this thread a little side tracked, I know this thread is about Dynomax mufflers, but because ATR haven't been around for many years, wanted to show what the ATR pit bulls look like to those who have never seen em before.
If you can find some used ATR Pit Bull turbo mufflers, grab em! These were offered in both aluminized steel & stainless steel. Of course, stainless are preferred as they will outlast the aluminized ones.
Here's some pictures of an old set I used to have until I upgraded to a pair of NOS (still in the box) stainless ATR pit bulls that I stumbled across. They don't appear often, but do become available once & awhile. Just gotta keep your eyes peeled.
You can see they are a "straight thru" design, which offer optimal performance on a turbo car as they offer little to no restrictions (but do drone a little at a certain rpm / frequency).

Attachments

• ATR Pit Bulls 3.jpg
    ATR Pit Bulls 3.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 183
  • ATR Pit Bull Mufflers 008.jpg
    ATR Pit Bull Mufflers 008.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 173
  • ATR Pit Bull Mufflers 009.jpg
    ATR Pit Bull Mufflers 009.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 176
  • ATR Pit Bull Mufflers 010.jpg
    ATR Pit Bull Mufflers 010.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Depends..... On how you want to control your fueling, and what system you have to do it with. I can't speak for how the FAST systems work, but as an example: You can leave the narrowband O2 in place and use it to to control fueling under less than WOT conditions. As I do. The narrowband O2 is FAR FAR better at maintaining a tight stoiceomentric a/f ratio of 14.7:1 than any wideband could hope to be!!!
If at some point you decide to use either the Translator GENII, or Translator Pro (speed density), or SD2/Powerlogger (speed density), the narrowband can be retained to control a/f ratio at other than WOT coditions.
I run the SD2 system, and the Wideband is in control at Idle and WOT, while the Narrowband is in control at cruise condtions. This yields MUCH better fuel mileage at various cruise conditions!!!
I did the same thing when I was running the Translator Pro.
This is ideal for a part time racer, daily driver.
And of course if the car is primarilly a racer, then good fuel mileage isn't a concern and the Narrowband is of no real use.

3:30 in this clip is my car at Bowling Green

2014 Buick GS Nationals TAI eliminations:

Bryan