Which cam?

S1NISTER 87GN

Well i wiped out a couple of lobes on my cam, its a Comp Cams 206-206. Should i just go with their 212-212 cam, or is there a better cam to go with my combo? Heads are NOT ported.
Any comments about a roller would be appreciated also. Thanks.

Roller

If that cam went flat so will all the other flat tappet cams. A roller is the only way to go. It is expensive but well worth it instead of getting 5000-10,000 miles out of a flat tappet. Do a search on oils and you will see why flat tappet cams are going flat. (No zinc). Roller cams dont need zinc. You can get a 206 roller setup. just a warning though. You now have a lot of metal in that engine. That will destroy everything. Get as much out as you can. Good luck. Jeremy :smile:

You can still go with a Tappet cam just use Rotella and EOS or STP they all have zinc.

My cam only had approx. 7000 miles, and i never had a cam in any other car wear out on me before, so i dont understand why only this cam wore out just because i didnt use an oil with zinc in it.
Anybody else wanna weigh in?

S1NISTER 87GN said:
My cam only had approx. 7000 miles, and i never had a cam in any other car wear out on me before, so i dont understand why only this cam wore out just because i didnt use an oil with zinc in it.
Anybody else wanna weigh in?
This hasnt just happened to your car. This is happening around the world. People try to blame it on a lack of lobe taper, and all sorts of other non-issues. This happened because the EPA forced the oil manufacturers to reduce the levels of ZDDP..basically zinc and phosphate by a drastic margin. This has been in motor oils since the dawn of time, and withing the last couple years, its been reduced to levels that are basically useless to a flat tappet cam. They figure all new cars use roller valvetrains, which dont need those additives, and older cars with flat tappets that do need it, are considered the devil by the EPA (gross polluters), so why not reduce it if it brings down emissions. Any oil that has the starburst symbol, is an oil that has extremely reduced ZDDP levels. If you go to bobistheoilguy.com, you'll find virgin oil analysis' done with a spectrometer...theyve tested practically every oil out there over the years. Valvoline SYN oil treatment has ALOT of all the good additives. Half a bottle is more than enough. I run Quaker State "Q" High rpm oil now, which showed to have a pretty good additive spectrum. Royal Purple is good, Redline is good, Valvoline SYN (they also make an oil) is good, the "Q" oils are good...just have to look into it to find what oils are flat tappet friendly. Anything with the starburst symbol should be ignored. Also, most of the OEM cam and lifter manufacturers went out of business in the late 90's and there was a flat tappet hydraulic lifter shortage in the US for a couple years. Everyone was having to buy offshore lifters which were absolute junk. These would go flat even if you had plenty ZDDP. That problem has passed though and all GM lifters are reliable now. So if you buy legit GM lifters, a cam from a reputable company and stay away from starburst oils, it doesnt matter if the #3 exhaust lifter isnt spinning like the others. people were chasing all the wrong problems cause they didnt know about the EPA's "intervention" of the oil industry.

ok, so as long as i use an oil with all the proper additives, i should have no problem running a flat tappet, being i really dont want to spend the money on a roller. i am looking at the Comp Cams 212-212, is this good to work with my combo? also should i use the comp lifters or get a set of GM lifters?

Hmm, I have this cam too, been running Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic, do I need to be using an additive? What about all my other older motors? I was unaware that there was such a drastic change in oils. My valvetrain has been noisy since I got the car, is this common with this cam?

Drop a roller in it and be done with it. I wouldn't play with all different types of oil trying to find the right fluid that may or may not work. When I have a few $$$ and time, this "old technology cam" comes out and a roller goes in regardless of it's condition. If you are taking the time/money to do a job, do it once, when you can. Can you use another flat tappet, absolutely, but it's far from the smartest thing to do if you have the means to get a roller IMO. I wish Grooms offered that option when I bought the shortblock.

I'm not just saying this because of the oil scare...I would still suggest a Roller cam anyways. They're just more streetable in my opinion. As for additives while using M1 oil, they say not to use anything with M1 since it supposenly already comes with it. Now for the bad oil issues, there is tons of info all over the net about this low zinc deal. It seems that what I've read talks about flatt tappits and break-in periods. Also the new cams designs. In theroy if you don't get anything to xterme and break it in with the right additives, the cam should last forever. But if you go with a roller, you don't have to worry about it. So thats another plus for a roller cam.

Good luck

Of course I'd like to have a roller set-up, but the car came with this cam, and is it common to have valvetrain noise with this cam? Comp cams 206/206

You guys think I'll be okay if I keep running Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w30?

And how do I tell if the cam needs to be replaced?

wordy1 said:
is it common to have valvetrain noise with this cam? Comp cams 206/206

I have the same cam and mine is really noisy. In fact it's quite annoying.

wordy1 said:
You guys think I'll be okay if I keep running Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w30?

To each his own. Who am I to say which oil is best. For what it's worth, I use Valvoline racing VR1 oil.

I believe it was stated in a previous thread to stay away from any oil
that bears the StarBurst emblem. I guess that signifies that it is EPA safe, which in returns has low zinc and manganese.

I also read that the Diesel oil, such as Rotella T, will be soon to follow. EPA is cleaning house.

I believe that all racing oil is okay. Valvoline Racing, Royal Purple, etc.

Or you can just stay with any off the shelf oil as long as you use Comp Cams or EOS supplement.

Or go with a $900 roller setup.

conleys flat tapped cam has keep me happy for a while,then bam,wiped lobe :( so i went with a flat tapped 212/212 comps,and it has work for me ever since with rotello oils....but i just have to fix this damn ridicoulous leak!

And what about all my other cars that have flat tappet cams? I've been using off the shelf "el cheapo" oil with them. Been using Mobil Clean 5000 in most of my other cars, mainly because its .99 a quart and I drive 2-3k a month/ Even though they are stock cams, can I be doing damage to the cam by not running a certain type of oil? I was unaware of the changes in oil and cannot see why the oil companys would not put a disclosure on the quarts of oil to warn us.

Anyone care to chime in about Mobil 1? I gotta do an oil change before winter and I just bought a case of this stuff.