which brake upgrade for me (hydroboost or vacuum)?

jooset

My PM is done in. This was the second PM for the car. Not inclined to mess around again. She's mostly stock, but not 100%. I have bigger injectors and fuel regulator, plenum spacer, ram air, not much else to the engine itself. stock turbo/intercooler/cam/heads/etc. Looking at Kirban Vacuum conversion kit as well as their hydroboost kit. I do all the work on the car, including installing the PM a couple of years ago, but I'm not a GM mechanic by any means (I can follow instructions!). Only go to the track once in a blue moon - mostly street use, car shows etc. All I want are strong dependable brakes. Oh yeah, Baer front disks and aluminum drums in the back. Willing to pay for a kit with all the piece parts to limit the amount of complicated fabrication activities on car. Bonus if it looks good :) Recommendations on vacuum vs hydro and what kits are currently out there that are good? I've read through a lot of the threads, but many are old - vendors gone...etc. Thanks in advance!
Matt

Do the vacuum swap. You won't regret it. Its a very easy job and put an end to the pm nightmare.

Just for clarification on my PM problem(s): Got a brake light, pulled over and the fuse was blown. Put a new fuse in and as soon as I turned the ignition on, pop - blow another fuse. Went through troubleshooting in accordance with service manual (just like the steps shown on these threads, and in the section "step #3 Booster Pump Motor Does Not Run" part B: I have no resistance measured between motor terminals B and D. By the way, I have a fuse in there now and it is not blown (because I have at least one of the harnesses disconnected). If I move onto section C. I don't have continuity between pressure switch terminal A and motor terminal D...but that doesn't surprise me since I believe my motor is fried. I also had brake fluid in both the pressure switch and booster motor connectors. This was a really nice (looking) restored powermaster that I installed in 2012 (purchased off of ebay from kip3182). Worked for a while. My fluid was pristine - so yes, I was doing proper yearly maintenance.
IMG_1758.JPG

I used a kit from hydrotech and couldn't be happier. It may not be the cheapest route; but works for me.

Used master,booster and pedal 50 bucks, tta vac block 30 bux. End result - no more terifying pm failures- priceless.

There are an equal number of people in the vacuum and hydro camps. Hydro is harder to install but I do like it better than a vacuum setup and I have driven both. Just my opinion. One drawback on a hydro setup is that if your PS pump fails and you have a simple setup with no accumulator, you will have no assistance at all when it happens. Something to think about. Hydro will also put pressure on your pump and it might make noise if it isn't up to the task.

I idid the vacuum swap...it took me about 6 hours total...GN stops on a dime..all the time, every time.

Alright I'll type...

10 years ago, I converted my GN to vacuum brakes. Not a cheap route either, BRAND NEW (not remanufactured) AC Delco booster and master cylinder and check valve, back before the new parts were discontinued, I got dealer cost on the parts and it was over $400 plus I powdercoated the vac pedal, etc. I was happy as a lark with it, you can search my old posts of me fiercely defending the vacuum setup. Holds boost on the footbrake just fine, etc. 2 years ago I bought an 84 roller to stuff my 86 powertrain in for a daily driver, it had factory hydroboost so I left it, and started driving this car every single day in the summer. Now that I'm used to hydroboost, I hate the vac brakes on my GN. They suck (pun intended). I have a hydroboost setup here waiting to go on it, the vac setup will be for sale for a fraction of what I have in it. Though it'll probably be a couple years before I talk someone else into swapping it for me.

Thats about as honest as a reply can get