which 6776 DBB to order ????

BMF_Racing

ONE B.M.F.
ok I'm getting ready to order the turbo tomorrow and not sure which one to get because they list so many different ones on PTE's website. (below)

300-1550 6776E 780-hp Jrnl Brg Boosted .63, .85 A/R
300-1551 6776RE Ball Brg .63, .85 A/R
300-1552 6776RE Ball Brg Boosted .63, .85 A/R
400-1550 6776S Jrnl Brg Boosted .63, .85 A/R
400-1551 6776RS Ball Brg .63, .85 A/R
400-1552 6776RS Ball Brg Boosted .63, .85 A/R
500-1550 6776SP Jrnl Brg Boosted .63, .85 A/R
500-1551 6776RSP Ball Brg .63, .85 A/R
500-1552 6776RSP Ball Brg Boosted .63, .85 A/R
600-1550 6776H Jrnl Brg Boosted .63, .85 A/R
600-1551 6776RH Ball Brg .63, .85 A/R
600-1552 6776RH Ball Brg Boosted .63, .85 A/R
625-1550 6776HB Jrnl Brg Boosted .63, .85 A/R
625-1551 6776RHB Ball Brg .63, .85 A/R
625-1552 6776RHB Ball Brg Boosted .63, .85 A/R
650-1550 6776HPS Jrnl Brg Boosted .63, .85 A/R
650-1551 6776RHPS Ball Brg .63, .85 A/R
650-1552 6776RHPS Ball Brg Boosted .63, .85 A/R
300-1575 6780HPQE Jrnl Brg Boosted .63, .85 A/R

I want the .63 housing and a H cover (4"in/3"out) in the dbb version, but what does all the letters mean after the 6776, like RH,RHB,HPS,HPQE,RE,RS, ??? .

Any input is much appreciated,

Brad

3500 stall from West Coast Converters.. but it doesnt seem to need it anymore... full boost comes on VERY fast now... there is almost no lag with this dual ball bearing unit.. i will never go back to NON ball bearing...

i have no idea what RS means.. i just know thats what mine says

4inch inlet

2.5 outlet

Ok, here's the skinny.
The way that PTE names all of their turbos does indeed have a code to the madness.

In the part number, when you see the letter R that means Roller or Dual Ball Bearing. This is for every turbo that they sell that has the R letter in the part number.

The E means TO4E compressor cover, or in Precisions' case, a casting that they have made that is similar to a Garrett TO4E but slightly better. It has a .60 A/R and 3" inlet and 2" discharge.

The S means TO4S Garrett casted compressor cover. It has a .70 A/R and 4" inlet and 2.5" discharge. This cover comes from Garrett and is machined for a 60-1 compressor wheel when PTE gets it. They then machine it out to fit whatever wheel they want it too fit, all the way up to a 70mm comp wheel. It is also available with a Ported Shroud option which makes the part number a SP.

The H means it is a Precision casted race series compressor cover with a 4" inlet and 3" discharge. The new style H cover has the Precision logo casted into the side of the discharges' volute. It has a .75 A/R and 4" inlet and 3" discharge. It is also available with a Ported Shroud option which makes the part number a HPS. You can also get the H cover with a large pressed on 6" inlet bell, which will not work on the Turbo Buick. Doing so would give you the HB designation in the part number.

So in the above turbo listings, if you wan the 67 compressor wheel and P-trim turbine wheel in dual ball bearing with the standard H compressor cover and .63 A/R turbine housing, you would need to order this part number.

600-1551 6776RH Ball Brg with a THB3-76 .63 A/R turbine housing.

With regards to the other funky letters, (HPQE) they could be one of two things. Either 1, they are coming out with some new versions of this turbo and have given them a new part number. (aka Boosted series) Or 2, someone has gotten the lettering codes all screwed up and it's either a typo or another vendor is giving it their own part numbering system. But official PTE part number code letters are as follows, Compressor covers E, S, SP, H, HPS, and HB. Turbine housings are a whole other story.
When Rod and I were working on the price sheet and part numbers way back in the day (2003), I had mentioned that we needed to put a better explanation of the lettering codes with regards to the description, but it went in one ear and out the other. I was constantly struggling with this very same issue with customers all the time. At least 3-5 calls a week. "What the heck does HPS mean? What does R mean? What is an HB cover?" The other mistake that they made, and still make to this day, is total lack of pictures to go with the descriptions. If he would have taken the time to go around and take pictures of each compressor cover, just the compressor cover alone and make a page that was dedicated to just comp covers, it would have eliminated pretty much all of these confusing questions.
Ah well, I'm just glad I don't have to deal with all that frustration now. Life goes on....
I'm going to make this one a sticky for future reference as this topic comes up a lot.
Hope some of this helps.

Patrick

Ported Shroud
Patrick

Is there any benfit for me to get the ported shroud? This car is going to be street driven and the turbo will not be used to its full potential, max boost around 22 to 23psi occationally, but 16 to 18psi 99% of the time. I plan on using a L/U 3000 stall & a full 4" mafless cold air intake (maft pro). I was just trying to get the fastest spoolup with the least amount of stall because of the main purpose for the car in street driving.

Thanks,

Brad

Honestly, I would rather choose a standard H cover if you are looking for the fastest spool up. I know that the HPS cover will slightly affect spool up as some of the air flow is redirected through the ported shrouds' channel and back into the inlet, never making it into the turbo. This will affect the spool up.
I am going to do some testing the next time I go to the track with my setup. H cover vs HPS cover. My plan is to make two passes with the HPS cover, then two passes with the standard H cover and see if the spool up and ET/MPH change. I will probably do this test in late Sept when the weather gets cooler. No sense beating on the car in hot weather.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

mine is street driven daily, and all i can tell you is this turbo comes on strong and SPOOLS damn near instantly

If the converter spools to at least 2800 rpms at 0 psi and 3200 at 5 psi it will shred the tires instantly. Contact Dusty Bradford for the right converter for this turbo. He can get you what you need.

Honestly, I would rather choose a standard H cover if you are looking for the fastest spool up. I know that the HPS cover will slightly affect spool up as some of the air flow is redirected through the ported shrouds' channel and back into the inlet, never making it into the turbo. This will affect the spool up.
I am going to do some testing the next time I go to the track with my setup. H cover vs HPS cover. My plan is to make two passes with the HPS cover, then two passes with the standard H cover and see if the spool up and ET/MPH change. I will probably do this test in late Sept when the weather gets cooler. No sense beating on the car in hot weather.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

it's late september...what have you found between the standard and ported shroud covers?

No track visits yet, but I'm itching to go. I still need to do a few things to the car first, and buy a standard H cover.
As always it's money and time that are holding me back.

Patrick

67bb

It really dont matter what size the outlet is, but I would say go with the bigger exhaust housing (.85) cuz my turbo with the .63 housing blows up the drag radials at just about any speed. It wont hurt low end but will help a bit on the big end.

600-1551 6776RH Ball Brg with a THB3-76 .63 A/R turbine housing.

Just got 5 in stock.