Which 2 1/16th tach can i get that is just a simple hookup?

arista5

Sold, and Replaced
Staff member
I have the VDO and the adapter and i decided to go with something else.

what tach can i get that just plugs in to the alt tap and works without any adapter?

thanks

i just bought a summit racing 2 1/16 shift light/digital tach and mounted it on the a pillar and it just plugs directly in the alt tach plug.

I have an Autometer.
It is not the prettiest thing, but is quite accurate. Just plugged into the tach adapter here.

I've got one of the small Sun-pro's that I mounted on top of the dash in the left corner. I took the steering mount and flattened the curved part of the base out. I pulled the dash/instrument panel surround off and sandwiched the mount between it and the dash. I used scotch lock connectors and tapped into the factory lighting and tach leads just behind the instrument cluster. No holes to drill. Nothing to cut. No adapter. The only problem I had was that at night some light from the dash lights would shine out and reflect off of the windsheild. A little foam weatherstrip tape took care of that. The tach is in the line of sight but it's not too obtrusive. I painted the mount gray and it helps it to blend in. It's small enought that it almost hides behind the inspection sticker that NC requires and it's clean enough that at a casual glance it looks like it belongs.

Sure it's not a high dollar guage but it reads spot on with my scantool and as far as not having a shift light?? You don't need one if you leave it in drive.:biggrin:

why not just plug into the tach port onthe ALDL?

There is no tach port at the ALDL. The only place you can find a tach signal is at the green connector under the hood - the one with two white wires in it. If you have an analog dash equipped car, the white wire at the bulkhead has a tach signal, but it's difficult to get to.

I always have used the VDO 52mm tachs but they need an amplifier to work properly:

http://www.installationinstructions.com/102007.pdf

Installation is about as simple as it gets, with three wires.