When your dog dies:

Tom R

87FastBlack
I did not start this thread to get all mushy or appear weak but that's my reality. Tuesday night my 14 1/2 year old Weimaraner named Sterling passed away. He was at home with me and I watched the entire event unfold. Without getting into any of the sad details, I'll just say he was not in any pain and simply died of old age.

Despite comforting him as best I could through his last hours, I'm stuck with feelings of guilt and sorrow. I gave him a pretty good life but I now often feel as if I could have done more to give him the dog version of a fulfilling life.

We own pets and often treat them like us humans but is that what they really need? Although dogs are domesticated to a geat extent, there is still a strong/genetic side that if left in the wild, I believe most dogs would rather enjoy that more than hanging out in a yard or house with us most of their lives. Unfortunately we must work and carry on with so many aspects of our lives that I really don't think we take the time necesary to ask ourselves what is in the best interest of our pets. It appears they are there for us but are we there for them the way they would like us to be?

Have any of you rough and tough guys felt like I do:(?

Sorry to hear that Tom. I can understand your the way you feel.

R.I.P. little guy......

Tom,

I am orry for your loss. I have always been a big dog lover my entire life and have always said I prefer dogs to some humans, even within my own family.

IMO they are a part of your family and we all give them the very best we can but we all know going into it at the very end they do not live as long as us and there will be a day that your heart get broken.

IMO the joy they bring far outweighs the end result, because of their unconditional love that is why they are the best, they just want to be near ya, happy to see you everyday and just want a pat on the head.

I am again sorry for your loss, time does help trust me.

Yes,

In April I took my 5 year old Brittany to the vet, He was acting a little droopy. He had lymes and he was in Kidney failure due to a rare complication of the lymes.

We spent 1 week in the MSU-CVM Small animal ICU it didn't help.

It has been hard.

28549_1121319290702_1758662159_222370_8024582_n.jpg

sad to hear about your dog BUT you did give him a great life !!! I don't think they would have that much fun in the wild .. I have had dogs all my life.. Last Nov my 13 year ol German Shehard passed on.. That was a very hard day to deal with . Then I thought of the life we gave him.. People would kill to live like him . SOO don't get down an second guess yourself !!

Never easy to put a good companion in the ground. A good friends beloved pal passed recently at 14 and it broke my heart to see her in pain. I told her that I don't know your religious or spiritual beliefs, but that dog is only leaving you in physical form. He will forever be following you around.

They live short little lives.So spoil them and it sounds like you did. Just coming on this site and talking about it shows that your a good person. You did good. Nothing meant more to him than you being there there with him.That alone is not easy to do. Take care. RIP Sterling

Sorry for your loss, Tom.It's a bummer to loose a old friend.Always some guilt and sorrow.

Tom,
I think what you're feeling is guilt that you maybe should have spent more time with him. I felt the same way after we had to put Molly down at 12 years. I still have that feeling now, to some extent. It's led me to spend more time with my dogs, and less in the garage. But it's worth it, I think.

A friend of mine - a Special Agent with the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement- is more devastated by the loss of his 11-year Lab than he's been over friends who've died in the line of duty. It hits you hard.

Have you read the quote by Napoleon?

Napoleon Bonaparte, on finding a dog beside the body of his dead master, licking his face and howling, on a moonlit field after a battle. Napoleon was haunted by this scene until his own death.

"This soldier, I realized, must have had friends at home and in his regiment; yet he lay there deserted by all except his dog. I looked on, unmoved, at battles which decided the future of nations. Tearless, I had given orders which brought death to thousands. Yet here I was stirred, profoundly stirred, stirred to tears. And by what? By the grief of one dog."

Condolences.

Think of it this way...... 14 years of happyness and a few weeks of misery. That's a pretty good compromise when you really think about it.

I can't imagine loosing either of my current dogs but dogs are not like children. Meaning, you will not out live them no matter how long they live.

Knowing that ur dog had the best life it could have had with you is what really matters. If that's so and im sure it is then that's the only comfort you need and the only thing that truly matters in the end. Atleast that's what I try to tell myself in anticipation of their passing.

I think most everyone who loses a pet feels some guilt.
If you treated them right and they waited for you to come home every day the mutual affection was there, and that's all that is necessary.

Here is a link to "Freedom" a bald eagle and its human friend that I received today. Sarvey Wildlife Center

Like young children, animals are not hindered by social correctness when showing love and affection, unlike humans with other humans.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

-Unknown

Seems as if you have fulfilled your part of the bargain.

You sound like a dog person. Rejoice in the fact that you had the opportunity to share your love and life with this wonderful creature. Be thankful that you had the presence of mind to find this deserving soul and give him a good home. Also know that for the past 14.5 years, he too has been thankful of this.

Mourn his passing but celebrate the good times; this is as any dog would wish of their human friend. However, do not let this be the end. Let this be a new beginning, a new opportunity to enrich the life of yet another deserving soul... Go to the local shelter and give the gift of life (a good one at that) once again.

Our prayers are with you and your friend.

I cried like a baby when I had to put my 14 year old dog down. I went to the shelter and got another dog a few months later. My new dog sure fills a void, but I will remember and be sad about my dog Eddie for the rest of my life.
Even though the loss of a dog causes such pain, I will never be without a dog in my life. They are such good buddies.
Sorry for your loss.

Everyone..thanks for sharing your own stories of loss and conveying a sincere sense of unserstanding. I have constantly beaten myself up with grief and guilt until I read some of your posts. I appreciate the responses and will continue to move forward a little more each day. Thanks again.