What's the Skinney on Adj push rods ??

BLACKHAWK38

:) I am able to get Stock length Sealed power RP-3164 pushrods from advance autoparts for $ 1.29 Each($15.48 set of 12) and wait a day or two,
AUTOZONE has standard stock length MELLING's ( MPR-103B in stock for 1.99 each or $ 23.88 for set of 12 any store any day .

THE Chrome Moly's from ADAVANCE AUTO PARTS Chime in @ a Whopping $104.28 for a set of 12 Overnight with no shipping Cost .

TA performance has a Set of Adjustable pushrods for little over A HUNDRED bucks plus I pay shipping from AZ.

Are the ADJUSTABLE RODS REUSEABLE, and do you 242 loctite the threads on the final fitting?

I know the POSTON's had CHROME MOLY push RODS for a heck lot less than 104 bucks that advance auto parts wants.

PUSHROD EXPERTS please reply:

Regards<> BLACKHAWK 38

PS, going on engine with only 18 thousandniths removed from 109 NA stock block and heads total together,
AM going to use stacked (2) GM 25524599 STEEL SHIM head gasket per side with 1.7" installed valve height and heavy duty thicker steel rocker shafts. I believe that the 1986-87 composite head gasket and (2) steel shims are close in thickness.

compressed thickness for one steel shim is .028" ? >2 of them together may or maynot be double that or .056"

Deck and heads are .018 shorter after machine work,

STOCK COMPRESSED THICKNESS OF 1987 stock composite head gasket is .062" ?

I WILL be .010 too SHORT but NEW GM hydraulic valve lifters should take care of this, ??

EXPERIENCED Engine BUILDERS,PLEASE chime in

BLACKHAWK 38

IMHO, I would only use an adjustable pushrod as a measuring device and buy the proper length to run with. Too many ugly stories floating around about what has happened when the adjustables come loose.
Just my .02

I ran a set of adjustables in my 109 for almost ten years and never had a problem, no loosening and no breakage. This was the motor that took me into the mid 10s, shifting as high as 6,000 rpms.

The best use for adjustables is on a motor where you can expect to be swapping heads, cams and/or expect to have mill the heads or block and you don't want to buy a new set of pushrods every time the geometry changes. I'll let me set of adjustables go for $40, shipping included. :) I swtiched to a roller cam that uses a MUCH shorter pushrod.

I'll let me set of adjustables go for $40, shipping included.
I 'd that .you can measure preload and kow it is correct.cant beat the price either

I also ran adjustables for years with no problems. IMO, I wouldn't try and figure out what pushrod you need through math. Best to get it assembled and verify. Then either use the adjustables or order a set the correct length.

Mine were Smith Bros. also. The reason I used them was because the guy that did my heads had the installed heights all over the place. If your installed heights are consistent, I would just measure and get the correct length. Good Luck !

Manton in Lake Elsinore, Ca. also makes push rods. I also only use the adjustables for measurment purposes because of the increased weight and possible interferance issues.
Jeff

Perhaps not related, but I used adjustables on my 455 for many years with no problems. Never used any locktite on them.

I ran the T/A adjustables on my car for a few years with zero problems...didn't use any loctite...

Best place?

Anyone know where the best place is to get adjustables?
Don't want to get raped again on shipping by one of the vendors who has them.

How much is too much?

At what point do you need to go to adjustable pushrods?

How much needs to come of the heads/block before you decide adjustables is the right thing to do?

As was stated at an earlier time in this thread the use of adjustable pushrods isn't dictated by how much was taken off the heads/deck...if the installed height of the valves isn't consistent then adj pushrods might be a good choice...in my case when I used them I had put in a new cam and when I measured to see what pushrod lengths I needed they were all over the place...I would have had to order 4 different lengths of pushrods to get the preload I wanted...so I opted for adjustables...I believe my issue was due to the inconsistency of the stamped aftermarket rockers...