What's the deal with people who have blocked phone numbers?

Well, I no longer have a land line in lieu of cell phones, but I had a great caller ID box that I could either select #'s to block or have it not accept "blocked" or private calls. The callers would get a friendly voice that said "the party you reached is not accepting your calls at this time" or "the party you reached does not accept anonymous calls, please disable your call blocking feature and try again" then it would promptly hang up on them. It was an awesome caller ID unit.

Bellsouth, I guess all of them, let you put in *77 for anonymous call rejection to block calls where the person has put in *67 to block transmission of their ID to your caller ID. Doesn't work for unlisted numbers, or out of area ID's that wouldn't show anyway. You can use another service (for a fee :rolleyes: ) called Call Manager that blocks those unlisted or out of area calls with a message. They have to manually punch in their phone numer and/or say who they are (like in receiving a collect call). You hear the message and have a choice of accepting the call or not. Really cool, had that for a while, but got tired of paying the phone company for so many services.

Some people do it to cut down on telemarketing calls. The less people who have your # the less calls.

Caller ID block is availible if you have an unlisted number. Our number is unlisted becuase my mom is a teacher and I found out about this blocking so I enabled it. If i get a message like 'the caller you are trying to reach does not wish to speak with people that block there number.....' I can just disable it for that call w/*82. Its just nice not having your number spread around whenever you call companies etc.