whats the biggest turbo people put on a 109

What do you mean by "built"? I've seen them on monster TSM type motors with a .63 housing and a nice amount of stall but that is a race setup. So for a street motor...Yes too big IMO. I doubt I'd go bigger than a 70gtq on a street driven TR.

Well, considering DLS just released a monstrous stroker crank, one could run bigger.

I believe Otto runs a huge Borg Warner S480 turbo on his GN.

heavily ported heads , dual nozzle, ta headers,port matched intake, girdled block,je forged pistons, not stroked

I ran/run a 76 (4" in & 3" out) with an 85 exhaust housing in a 3.8 with a big hyd. roller and ported aluminum heads with no problems. I was going 10.5's way back in 99/2000 with a 70 p-trim & 85 exhaust housing at 24 psi of boost. Car got faster with larger turbo at less boost.

just asking if a 76 trim with a .85 housing is to big for a built 109

What are your goals? It may not be worth running a stock block if you have really high hp goals. Most guys who run 70 mm compressors or larger run tangential 4 bolt setups unless they are not allowed to like in TSM. I think a 76 mm wheel on a 3 bolt coupled to a smaller than GTQ turbine is a waste. Your giving up too much on the exhaust side.

Mr. Kerney's car ran a high 8 with a 47-88 I think... It was a big turbo, there is a thread here somewhere....

I ran/run a 76 (4" in & 3" out) with an 85 exhaust housing in a 3.8 with a big hyd. roller and ported aluminum heads with no problems. I was going 10.5's way back in 99/2000 with a 70 p-trim & 85 exhaust housing at 24 psi of boost. Car got faster with larger turbo at less boost.

what stall u run?

I would stick with a 70GTQ. TSM guys are going 9.30's with this turbo and it has good street manners. I run that on my car and still have not maxed it out yet. This turbo is a awesome piece.

Bison and Mike are right. Even on my SII mill, the 3 bolt 76 gave TOO much back pressure. Took a bunch of analysis to figure out that backpressure was a problem. I'm sure my car would have gone faster with a 70mm.

I think Kereny's car had a 4276 which is an awesome turbo, but very impractical on a small cube engine unless it's a 100% race car - or a show car that doesn't have to line up next to anyone at less than a 1/2 mile race.

what stall u run?
I have a VDO boost gage that starts at 2 psi. 3300 rpm = 0 boost & 3500 rpm= boost walking up. I was running a old 16930 Art Carr which propelled my car in late 11/06 to the tune of 10.15 @ 131 (unleaded & dual alky) with a 1.46 60 ft. on MT 275/60 drag radials with a 4 psi foot brake launch; higher would blow the tires away and 21 psi boost going down the strip. The reason the mile per hour is down for the et was because the 2004R was flaring on the 2 to 3 shift at the time. Trans now has picked up 3 mph at same level. The turbo has the Q-trim wheel done by Chopper at Limited Engineering. Motor had 245 cu.in. by 11/06.

Mr. Kerney's car ran a high 8 with a 47-88 I think... It was a big turbo, there is a thread here somewhere....

It started life as a 4508. I had custom wheels put in both sides. This turbo cost over $3500 and was inside Dick's trailer when it got stolen a few months ago :mad:

Leprcon: Depending on your goals, I would run either a 67 or 70HPQ. The 67 can get you in the high 9's and the 70 can get you in the low 9's. As fast as the 70mm turbos are evolving in TSM, I suspect you could find a deal on "last years model".

Thanks for letting us know Cal. My mistake on the 4276. I think someone one mentioned it before you posted the details last year. Got it stuck in my head that way.

It started life as a 4508. I had custom wheels put in both sides. This turbo cost over $3500 and was inside Dick's trailer when it got stolen a few months ago :mad:

Well The good thing is you didnt get blamed for that mishap your TBS luck may be changing ;)

Well The good thing is you didnt get blamed for that mishap your TBS luck may be changing ;)

LOL! They probably will, now that they know about it :rolleyes: Fortunately, Dick would make a couple calls and put that rumor to rest as soon as it got started

The turbo along with 2 converters, Honda generator, spare trans, etc... was inside the trailer when the trailer was stolen.

i have a 70 trim with a .63 i was just thinking i wouldn't have to turn it up as much to get the desired results with the 76