Whats a good shifter ??

gnsrule

I'm putting in a 400 trans in the 86 car. Revese body w/ a brake and electric shifter such as a shiftnoid.
Whats a good shifter for the application ? I was thinking a 1/4 Stick but am not sure of the way the shiftnoid hooks up w/ the linkage deal for the lockout.If I go w/ a 1/4 stick, I'm thinking about getting the ball and replaceing it w/ a "T" handle. Maybe drill it for the line lock.

Thanks
Craig

I have used the quicksilver which is very easy to install in a stock console. It works well but in the heat of battle....lol its easy to start in 2nd or shift from 1st to 3rd.

I solved all of these problems with the Cheetah Turbo Action shifter. In my opinion this is the best aftermarket shifter out there.
Its tougher to install in the stock console but it can be done and look nice.

:cool:

If an aftermarket shifter is going to be used, Turbo Action is the only choice in my opinion. Very well built and never had a problem with the cable's binding.

A 1/4 stick cost me a 455 once.

The only shifter for me is......

....the B&M Pro Ratchet. They are bulletproof, and foolproof. :cool:

Hurst Quarter stick. Bullet proof shifter that you will probably rip out of the floor before breaking it. Easy install too!

So far its 2 for a Cheeta and 2 for a B&M and 1 for a 1/4 stick. I'm suprised !! I thought the 1/4 stick was the preferd choice. ??
Does anyone run a Shiftnoid or an air shifter ??
I dont see how the Cheeta could be air shifted since the lockout is a pull up thing if I read right. I'd prefer to go electric vrs air, no maintence.
Thanks
Craig

Originally posted by gnsrule
So far its 2 for a Cheeta and 2 for a B&M and 1 for a 1/4 stick. I'm suprised !! I thought the 1/4 stick was the preferd choice. ??
Does anyone run a Shiftnoid or an air shifter ??
I dont see how the Cheeta could be air shifted since the lockout is a pull up thing if I read right. I'd prefer to go electric vrs air, no maintence.
Thanks
Craig

I would gather that this is a race only vehicle?

B&M here...

I went with a B&M Pro ratchet in the race car. A Shiftnoid did not work with it, probably because of the linkage to the column. There is too much resistance for the solenoid to handle unless that is disconnected, and a micro switch is installed for the neutral safety.

For the street or street/strip, have done MANY B&M Megashifters with very good results.

I too have a Chetah in my car. I bought a used Ford one and bought the TH400 gate.It is an awesome shifter, now all I need to do is get a shift light or something so I can become consistant. I'd also like to do a 1-2 soleniod, that shift comes fast and I always seem to miss my mark.

DJ

Been very happy with the Quarterstick - gating works very nice and it has a smooth action. ALso, as hurst tech told me, they can also do a gate swap for $30, just incase you need reverse or forwd pattern if you change valvebody.

Originally posted by streetknight
If an aftermarket shifter is going to be used, Turbo Action is the only choice in my opinion. Very well built and never had a problem with the cable's binding.

A 1/4 stick cost me a 455 once.
Good Advise have used on several applications with great results.