What turbo is best for me

mongoose87

mongoose87
Hi foulks, I have an 87 GN with 81k on it, and I don't know what turbo I should get, I really would like best bang for my buck. this is what I have so far. 9" Art Cart 3000 stall, 340 Aeromotive fuel pump,hot wire kit, 30 lbs injectors, RJC plate, cold air intake, volt booster, boost controller, Kirban 3" down pipe, dual exhaust, new 100 lbs valve springs, and Accufab Fuel regulator. Next on the list a Meth/Alky kit, Front mount Intercooler, and Turbo with TT chip. Any help would be apreciated.

TE44 would be a nice upgrade. Will spool quickly with that Art Carr converter and make nice power.

You have some odd combo of parts, the Aero 340 pump is huge, 30lb injectors are tiny, we can assume when you upgrade the turbo and intercooler you'll probably get 60's?

You really can't get a bigger turbo until you address your injectors, those can't do jack without the aid of Alky and you don't have that yet either.

Also the Art Carr converters are known to be super loose on the top end, hell, you might MPH better from a converter swap than a slightly bigger turbo.

When you get things worked out, I'd go to the PTE58/57 since it's a modern beast that spool and make power. If you want mid to low 10's, then you'll need more than the turbo anyways.

thanks guys

I hope to be mid to high 11sec car. i am going to upgrade injectors but i want to get the turbo selected first so i can built around that. right now i am in deployed to Afghanistan so I am trying to do as much research before i buy. thanks for the help keep it coming.

keep the $ you don't need the front mount with alky to run 11's.get a dutt neck to help with flow.with a goal of mid to high 11's 49/44 with a .63 ex housing,those are good turbo's on a stock motor.check out otto and bison's thread,their dyno testing was very interesting and may help you with your choice.i like the 61 and 62mm turbo's but not sure how it would be on your stock motor.

GN1 Combo

I was looking at this combo but what injectors should i go with and if any one has tried this combo

Product ID: DP-TURBO-COMBO
DOWNPIPE, TURBO, AND BOOST CONTROL COMBO

Details

This is a "GN1Performance Downpipe, Boost controller, and Turbo Combo" This kit includes a 3" Down Pipe with a 46mm Wastegate, a Tubonetics Boost controller, and a custom 66 turbo featuring a .63A/R exhaust, 4" inlet and a p trim wheel.

You might want to deal with a vendor that supports this site and has a long outstanding reputation with the community...

You can go 11's for a lot cheaper...

You need....

to spend a little more time researching or educating yourself on the TR's. And also put your combo in your signature to make it easier for us to know where you are at in your build so we can offer an educated reply.

As stated earlier, you have a mis-match in the 30# inj.'s. Eric (TT) offers new inj.'s of up to 80#ers w/ his chips for stock ecm's. Mid 11's and up is relatively inexpensive compared to bottom 11's and down. The ability to tune and monitor is more important and will give you the ability to achieve your goals much faster and w/o the additional training and expense of head-gasket replacement, etc.:eek: What I am leading up to is purchasing a scan-master 2.1 and a power-logger for tuning of those new parts and you will see, and learn, many more happy driving days.:biggrin:
Thanks for your service to this great country and may the Lord return you home safely and w/o injury.