What to get.

Spoolin Hooligan

Off the wagon Boost Addict
I'm thinking of getting a gun for self defense. And I was going to get an auto loader .45, but I think I may just stick with a revolver. And want either a Taurus Judge or S&W Governor. I like them because of their small solid frame and multiple different rounds you can shoot out of them. Plus they are under $500. This site is the best. Cars and guns.

If this isn't a cary gun get a shotgun. Much safer and effective inside a building and a handgun or riffle.

charlief1 said:
If this isn't a cary gun get a shotgun. Much safer and effective inside a building and a handgun or riffle.

Its for a carry weapon. I got shotguns for house defense.

I always recommend a medium frame revolver in .357 magnum with a 3 or 4 inch barrel as a first time handgun. There is nothing quite as versatile & easy to learn. You can protect yourself in your home, it can still be concealed with the proper gear & attire, you can target shoot & plink with it, you can even hunt with it if you get real good.

The various 410 shotgun shell revolvers are interesting & definately offer some advantages. They are only good for one thing though. Stopping a human.

~JM~

The various 410 shotgun shell revolvers are interesting & definately offer some advantages. They are only good for one thing though. Stopping a human.

~JM~
Not true. They work great for snakes down here.:D

A 3" Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum would be my pick. You have the option of shooting .38 spl for plinking/target practice to get the feel of the gun and then you can load it with heavy loads of .357 Magnum. For $500 you have a revolver that is built like a tank and will probably outlast you.

Governor vs Judge...

This has been a long standing comparison since the Governor was introduced. I have sold both of them in the past when I worked for my LGS and to be honest, the Governor is a far superior revolver. Here's some bullet points for you to consider.

- Both revolvers are heavy when fully loaded.
- 5 shots for the Judge, 6 shots for the Governor.
- Taurus has a polymer lightweight version of the Judge, but it is very hard to handle with the very short grip and a powerful self defense load. Not good if you have large hands. Been there, witnessed it first hand.
- Governor gives you 3 caliber choices. .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt, .410 shot shell.
- Governor uses 2 shot moon clips for .45 ACP rounds, which can make speedy reloads a nightmare.
- Judge only gives you 2 caliber choices. .45 Long colt, .410 shot shell.
- Both of these revolvers are bulky, which is something to consider for Concealed Carry. Even the smaller Judge.
- MSRP for the Governor with regular sights is $679.00.
- MSRP for the Judges varies widely by model. $399.99 - $715.00 depending on model.

One thing most new gun owners do not think about much is, collateral damage.
Ex: Let's say you have one of these pistols and a CCW permit. You get into an altercation that requires the use of deadly force, IE: you have to draw your weapon to defend you and or your family in public. You draw and fire. Unfortunately, your shot shell shot misses and you mistakenly hit an innocent bystander. Collateral damage.
Now given, this could happen with any firearm when your adrenalin is pumping. But my point is, you are much less likely to hit an innocent with a single round fired, vs one that shoots a shot shell with multiple projectiles.

I personally recommended to customers that these types of revolvers are best suited for home defense and not for a new CCW holder with zero practice or training as there are to many variables when dealing with shot shells, even with the tight spred pattern that these revolvers have. Just remember, that in the courts eyes, you are held responsible for each projectile you fire. And with a .410 shell, this could be multiple pellets. However, if you are well versed in these types of weapons and have lot's of experience, my choice would be the Governor.

I agree that revolvers are the most reliable firearms that are out there, but they are not the end all, be all for CCW and or home defense. Small J-frame size 5 shot revolvers can be a handfull with powerful +P defense rounds. And with the small grips are not well suited for people with medium to large size hands. If a revolver is your thing, here are a few that I would recommend for CCW and home defense.

- Smith & Wesson model 327. Eight rounds of .38 Special +P or .357 Magnum, with enough grip to hold onto for these rounds. Lightweight Scandium material.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
170245_01_lg.jpg

- Smith & Wesson model 325 Nightguard. Six rounds of .45 ACP in a medium frame revolver. Pachmyer grip large enough to hold onto, if not, it can be replaced with a larger Hogue rubber grip.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=290261818
53525.jpg

- Smith & Wesson model 327 TRR8. Eight rounds of .38 Special +P or .357 Magnum, with a Hogue 3 finger groove rubber grip.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57770_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
170269_01_lg.jpg

- Ruger GP100 Talo edition. Six rounds of .357 Magnum or .38 Special. Very nice grip and 3" barrel.
http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100DE/specSheets/1752.html
1752.jpg

That is what I would recommend for revolvers. Semi autos are another long winded story all together.
Hope some of this helps.
Patrick

thanks for putting that together for me. It was very informative. I guess i have some homework to do

I always recommend a medium frame revolver in .357 magnum with a 3 or 4 inch barrel as a first time handgun.

I just shake my head when this isn't the first thing recomended.
Why people think a glock or any other auto is the best for a first time handgun is just plain ignorant IMO.

Turbo-Archie said:
Why people think a glock or any other auto is the best for a first time handgun is just plain ignorant IMO.

I went online and googled....best concealed gun and a bunch of opinions but a lot of glocks and. 357 I noticed a lot of younger guys went towards the glock. But that's not what I'm going for. I hear revolvers are more reliable anyways

I usually recommend to buy what you like and feels good(as long as it's good quality and proven reliable) and take some lessons then practice and practice.

Some people can't stand the look of revolvers and some can't stand the look of autos. My first handgun was a smith 686. There was no way I was going to get an auto. Now all my carry guns are autos and I've never had one issue with them, but I always practice malfunction drills with them just in case. Of course revolvers take just as much practice to become proficient (long, heavy double action triggers and lots of reloading).

I can't wait for my gov to come in...

I have the judge and the orignal thunder five... Smith is where my loyalty is though...

I just use a Mac-10...lol..,It's small,can shoot around corners an When your six shooters, shotguns an autoloaders run out bullets,I still have over 1/2 clip Full of .45 Auto...8^)

You can get'm for under $300

IMG_3082.JPG

I noticed a lot of younger guys went towards the glock. I hear revolvers are more reliable anyways

This is the point I was making.
Do you want it to look cool or save your life??

An auto is fine if you go to the range and become one with the gun. But my guess is most first time owners don't do that. So that 686 is kinda a no brainer...
(Pun intended)

HelloBozos said:
I just use a Mac-10...lol..,It's small,can shoot around corners an When your six shooters, shotguns an autoloaders run out bullets,I still have over 1/2 clip Full of .45 Auto...8^)

You can get'm for under $300

Ya that will fit in my belt.....looks cool though

I picked up a Ruger SP101 recently. Check out my "Revolver, Now What?" post.

I'm not gonna sit here and count my pistol's in my head, but it's a bunch. That's my first revolver. I LOVE it!

It's not like I'm gonna go anywhere I may expect to find trouble waiting for me with a revolver's low capacity. But it sure is comfortable in the front pocket! And it draws well, feels and shoots well. It's just a great model to own.

And mines super sweet looking to boot!!!!!

Otherwise, it's to your comfort. I tend to go with auto's. I find my hand fits Ruger's Very well even if their auto's may not be spectacularly accurate guns. Practice can sompensate for less than optimal equipment. As long as we're not talking about malfunction's, I'm good! And I've thrown some real abuse at Ruger's without malfunction. Of course I've also justified testing that theory with several models of several other makes too!;)

Get what you like the feel of. Then verify it shoots in your hand as well as it sets in your hand. I may be weird, but I've found that to be two different things. I've developed many "favorites" for their various qualities.

I picked up a Ruger SP101 recently. Check out my "Revolver, Now What?" post.

I'm not gonna sit here and count my pistol's in my head, but it's a bunch. That's my first revolver. I LOVE it!

It's not like I'm gonna go anywhere I may expect to find trouble waiting for me with a revolver's low capacity. But it sure is comfortable in the front pocket! And it draws well, feels and shoots well. It's just a great model to own.

And mines super sweet looking to boot!!!!!

Otherwise, it's to your comfort. I tend to go with auto's. I find my hand fits Ruger's Very well even if their auto's may not be spectacularly accurate guns. Practice can sompensate for less than optimal equipment. As long as we're not talking about malfunction's, I'm good! And I've thrown some real abuse at Ruger's without malfunction. Of course I've also justified testing that theory with several models of several other makes too!;)

Get what you like the feel of. Then verify it shoots in your hand as well as it sets in your hand. I may be weird, but I've found that to be two different things. I've developed many "favorites" for their various qualities.
i was looking at those too. after last night and seeing th model 60 S&W its to shinny and i dont like any of the j frames they have.

5764.jpg
like this without the engraving

5719.jpg
this is what it looks like with an 3" barrel and rubber grip. im going to get the wood grips. i like the look of the 2.25 barrel but for a little more confidence i may just get the 3". Its a woods/street carry gun. So the little bit of accuracy diffrence in barrel length will make me feel better.