what to get first?

WVhillbilly

thinking about upgrades for the gn,want to buy the turbo tweak 60# injectors and chip combo but was wondering if i should invest in a k/n filter and the chrome intake pipe first as the car is bone stock with 36000 miles - original air cleaner,filter,chip...etc what should my first upgrade be? i read where everyone says get a scanmaster first but if theres no perfomance parts why get that first? thanks for a great site :)

Thanks for the quick response, will the new pump and regulator improve performance or will I have to get the injectors before I see any noticeable gains?

scanmaster is very important. tells you whats going on w ure car. its a dianostic tool that will aid in ure cars health. first thing i should have done. instaead replacing headgaskets was the first thing!if i had the scanmaster i would have saw i was having knock issues and would have been able to address them. next thing would be chip at the very least if money is tight and if not do chip and injector. but scan master is numero uno!!! i sold my gn and looking for a new one. i already purchased a scan master

I'd like to be able to run in the 12 second range but funds are limited and I have to get the most bang for my buck but want to do it right

Unfortunately as the other said, the first few mods you should do are for the safety of the engine rather than performance: ScanMaster, fuel Pump (w/hotwire), adjustable regulator, chip. Injectors really arent necessary until you need more fuel but its probably not a bad idea to replace them as the stockers are 25 years old at this point. Before any of this go ahead and do a full "spring cleaning" to make sure everything is in good shape. You will enjoy the car much more in the long run if you get it running well stock and have it all sorted before you start throwing major modifications at it. Good luck.

Spring Cleaning: http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html

It runs strong-no issues with that, just wanted to beef it up some. some of you guys have awesome car's and may have done something different if given the opportunity to do over. I'm trying to put together a plan to follow to maybe be able to run in the 12 second range.

Get yourself that Scanmaster and follow the Spring Cleaning. After you're done with that, you need to figure out if you want Razors alky, E-85 or Race fuel for fun. You can also choose to run strictly 93 octane but that will limit your Max boost to 17 psi or so. Boost and a "good tune" makes power on these cars.

i ran 12s in my tta with scanmaster,kn air filter,adjustable waste gate,fuel pump and hot wire kit,chip and race gas.i would not have been able to get this combo safley into the 12 without a scan tool.if you dont want to have to change your tune from track to street i would get a meath kit and chip makes things easier.

How much boost is possible with the stock turbo? The alky kit seems like a must have. don't plan on running race gas and the nearest e85 station is a few hours away so I'll probably stick with 93 octane

You could run 24-30 pounds boost through the stock turbo with the "alky" kit. It's all about the fuel. Fuel pump, filter, hotwire, and chip to match the setup. You can't see knock without a scan tool. Scanmaster is very important. I run VR1 Racing Oil.

Unfortunately as the other said, the first few mods you should do are for the safety of the engine rather than performance: ScanMaster, fuel Pump (w/hotwire), adjustable regulator, chip. Injectors really arent necessary until you need more fuel but its probably not a bad idea to replace them as the stockers are 25 years old at this point. Before any of this go ahead and do a full "spring cleaning" to make sure everything is in good shape. You will enjoy the car much more in the long run if you get it running well stock and have it all sorted before you start throwing major modifications at it. Good luck.

Spring Cleaning: http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html
X2

Too many times people starting modding their car before their car is running properly. The trick is to get your car running real well and then slowly modifying it to see how each mod effect your car. But like everyone stated a Scan Master should be your first purchase after you do a " sping cleaning ". If you are patient she will put a smile on your face, if not she can be one hell of a bitch and drain your wallet real fast.

WVhillbilly said:
It runs strong-no issues with that, just wanted to beef it up some. some of you guys have awesome car's and may have done something different if given the opportunity to do over. I'm trying to put together a plan to follow to maybe be able to run in the 12 second range.

I ran a 12.7 on low boost with my mods listed below