What the hell in the world is causing my hot start problem???

G-Force

:mad: I am mad as hell and I am not gonna take it anymore. I am fed up!!! The car doesnot have any faults at all except for when I shut it off and try to restart. It has to sit for a while and then it will start up. I was thinking maybe it's the coil or module but the car pulls strong and nothing for me to consider that as a possibility. I swap the MAF, fuel pump relay, and ECM and no help there. Could it possibly be the CAM sensor? I was told there is no such thing as a dying cam sensor. They either work or they dont. Can someone here chime in and help me out.

Did this just start happening?

Have you done any work on the car recently?

Does the engine turn over at all or does it not do anything when you turn the key to restart it?

How old is the starter?

Where you say you have tried swapping the ecm, maf , and other, get it hot and shut it off where it doesnt start and pour ice water over the coil and module and see if it starts, I have had stuff run fine as long as its under a certain temp,

i was just reading up on thread somewhere about coil heating up causing that, meaning it runs fine untill you shut it off then phifft, its either coil/mod or starter solenoid and if you go to start and its not doing the roh roh roh then its got to be heatsoak in ignition?

Something is getting heat soaked, which increases resistance. I'd focus on the coil pack and module.

Ive had this problem before. Turns out my fuel pressure was too high and somehow kept her from starting. Turned it down and bam!

It's usually the Module they get heat soaked and don't start.Try cooling it off with water and see if it starts.

Hot Start

More than likely it is the starter. Does it turn over or just click? I had the same problem but mine would not turn over. Replaced the starter and no problems 4 years later.:biggrin:

Did this just start happening?

Have you done any work on the car recently?

Does the engine turn over at all or does it not do anything when you turn the key to restart it?

How old is the starter?

aprroximately 2 months now, no work at all, the enging turns, the starter has about 3000 miles on it.

Ive had this problem before. Turns out my fuel pressure was too high and somehow kept her from starting. Turned it down and bam!

I have heard of this before and will turn it down tonight.

Coil pack and module are original from 87. Car now has 62K and the starter was changed with an original GM unit when the car had approximately 59K

Crank sensor will not set a code. It will heat soak and cause no start until it cools down. When it does it again spray cold water on the sensor and try starting it.

I have heard of this before and will turn it down tonight.

Coil pack and module are original from 87. Car now has 62K and the starter was changed with an original GM unit when the car had approximately 59K

So this problem started happening right after you had the starter replaced?

Why did you have to replace the starter?

I would suspect the starter or wiring.

Starter been on ther for about 7 years with no problem. This problem is recent has has been ongoing for the past 2 months.

That website is extremely helpful. I was on there reading how to change the cam sensor,just incase mine fails.

:mad: I am mad as hell and I am not gonna take it anymore. I am fed up!!! The car doesnot have any faults at all except for when I shut it off and try to restart. It has to sit for a while and then it will start up. I was thinking maybe it's the coil or module but the car pulls strong and nothing for me to consider that as a possibility. I swap the MAF, fuel pump relay, and ECM and no help there. Could it possibly be the CAM sensor? I was told there is no such thing as a dying cam sensor. They either work or they dont. Can someone here chime in and help me out.

Crank sensor …..
Get the car warm, and make sure it will not restart.
Check for spark. If no spark, get a can of Brake Cleaner and spray the sensor.
This stuff not only cools the part down “quick”, it cleans as well ;) .
If it starts, you found the culprit.

Work through the process of elimination, and spray (not all at one time) things like:
• Oil pressure sender
• Crank sensor
• Cam sensor
• Coil
• Ignition module

Also make sure the fuel pump runs (I know you already replaced the relay) because hot "thin" oil requires higher cranking RPM to bypass the oil pressure sender.

If all fails, join the Houston Buick Club (Shameless plug ;) ) and someone will help you get this done.

I had the exact same problem on my 2000 Yukon. It turned out to be a faulty fuel pressure regulator. If you have an adjustable one on the motor, try putting your stock one back on to see if that can help you diagnose the problem. Paul

Borrow a coil/pack and module from someone...see if the problem goes away...won't cost you anything except for some time and maybe some beer...

Coil pack is here and the module is in the mail. If that doesnot solve the problem then I guess I will have to join the Houston Buick Club.

Do you have access to a Caspers Coil Pack/Module Tester?...anyone near you have one?...that would be the best way to tell is it's the coil pack and/or module...get the car hot...shut it off...then use the tester...would be pretty obvious if the problem is the coil pack/module...