What temp sets off the Fan?

Who Needs 8

I haven't started the TTA in well over a month, which is odd for me during the summer. It's just been a busy summer for me this year.

The car sits in a detached unconditioned garage. I only go in the garage if I'm getting the car out. I know it gets freaking hot in there during the summer. Even though the door is painted off-white, it does face west which is the direction of death in the summer here.

Anyway, I was going to get the car out today and drive it to work, but the battery was drained. It wasn't dead, but it didn't have enough power to turn over.

As soon as I pulled the key out, I heard the fan come on, barely. Which is making me think that the fan has been coming on because it gets hot in that garage.

In short my question is: What ambient temp turns the fan on?

Hey Maston -

Whenever my battery drained (or I was replacing it), it did the same thing - the fan would kick on, just briefly. I don't think it has anything to do with the temp in the garage - I just think the low voltage from the battery is doing something to kick on the fan.

My Corvette does something similar - but with the headlight motors. Whenever I replace the battery, I can hear the motors running briefly.

I don't think it's a big deal, just get the battery charged or replaced.

Does that detached garage have an outlet? If so, I recommend a Battery Tender. It will eliminate these problems & ensures a fully charged battery when it comes time to take her out. Plus it might save you on an alternator - once started, that alternater has to work extra hard to charge a low battery.

Looks like you got an A4! GREAT car - love that 2.0 Turbo!

Chris
----------
1988 Chevrolet Corvette 35th Anniversary #1941/2050
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am #760 (1920 miles)
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
1983 Delorean DMC-12
1986 Toyota Supra MKII
1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900

I haven't started the TTA in well over a month, which is odd for me during the summer. It's just been a busy summer for me this year.

The car sits in a detached unconditioned garage. I only go in the garage if I'm getting the car out. I know it gets freaking hot in there during the summer. Even though the door is painted off-white, it does face west which is the direction of death in the summer here.

Anyway, I was going to get the car out today and drive it to work, but the battery was drained. It wasn't dead, but it didn't have enough power to turn over.

As soon as I pulled the key out, I heard the fan come on, barely. Which is making me think that the fan has been coming on because it gets hot in that garage.

In short my question is: What ambient temp turns the fan on?

Fan temp is controlled by a few conditions.
1) Engine coolant temp sensor hits the target programmed in the chip. Chip maker sets this. Example an aftermarket chip turns fan on at 167 shuts it off at 159 this is you have a 160 stat.
2) Your turn on the air conditioning
3) You hit your overheat limit set by the sensor on the intake manifold.
4) You hit 40 MPH and the fan turns off.. another one of those things controlled by the chip maker. Chip looks at VSS.

Turning on the AC, and shutting of the car will activate the delay timer and fan runs after you shut the car off.

Hows that?

Turning on the AC, and shutting of the car will activate the delay timer and fan runs after you shut the car off.

Hows that?

Nice info Julio...that is the one that has had me baffled for a while...couldn't figure out why sometimes my fan runs for a while and sometime not...didn't seem to matter if it is hot or not...now I know :cool: So is it a good practice to turn on the AC and then shut it off to cool it down a little ? My other newer cars the fans come on and run for a while after I turn it off on hot days...sometimes they even kick on a minute or so after the car is off?

Scott

Nice info Julio...that is the one that has had me baffled for a while...couldn't figure out why sometimes my fan runs for a while and sometime not...didn't seem to matter if it is hot or not...now I know :cool: So is it a good practice to turn on the AC and then shut it off to cool it down a little ? My other newer cars the fans come on and run for a while after I turn it off on hot days...sometimes they even kick on a minute or so after the car is off?

Scott

That's the delay relay doing its job. Dads GN does that (with no AC on) after it sits in the garage and the heat soaks in.

Jason

My dual fan setup has one fan turn on around 160 degrees and the other fan only kicks on if it reaches 200.