What race gas to get??

s-l500.jpg

This is what that push pin looks like. Removing it is not as complicated as your are making it. Just pry it out carefully and it will go back just fine and you won't need a replacement (gbodyparts carries new ones nevertheless). Anyways, if you don't put back your existing push pin then your car will no longer be all original...:D. Just bust'in your balls man ;). It really is a simple procedure. Time to stop talking about it and just do it :). Good luck.

You can use a stay down license plate from B bodies but it won't be ORIGINAL, oh NOOOOO, the humanity!

I'll ponder changing the chip. One thing I like to say to people is that my 87 GN still even has the original prom. This matters because so many 87 GN's have been modified and changing the chip was usually the first thing one changed. I wonder how many are as close to original as mine. What makes me happy is what makes me happy. Bragging how close my 87 GN is to all original makes me very happy. :) Many that look at my GN seem to like that it is near all original. I have had a favorite set on ebay and I occasionally search autotrader and cars.com looking for GN's like mine. There are a few but not a lot that have been for sale in the last year and a half that are very close to original like mine.

Rodney

PS: As I have mentioned in the past I do not have the correct lighter in my 87 GN. It is in the glove box. I bought a 87 Camero NOS lighter. Looks way better and matches the radio and such. I think the OEM 87 GN lighter is hideous. But I point that out on my story sheet I have on my dash at car shows that I can change that out in a few seconds. The OEM rubber floor mats are in the trunk. The few things I have changed can be changed back very quickly and will leave no evidence that it was ever changed.

I'm not crazy, my mom had me tested. :)

Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory.

Rodney

Think she lied to you. I have never read anything like you are posting. The new chip just up-dates what wasn't know in 87. Hello. Got my GN in Sept. 1987, know a little about them.

I'm not crazy, my mom had me tested. :)

Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory.

Rodney

Think she lied to you. I have never read anything like you are posting. The new chip just up-dates what wasn't know in 87. Hello. Got my GN in Sept. 1987, know a little about them.

Changing the chip is not my worry. My worry is breaking the original retainer pin and forever looking in my GN and seeing a sheet metal screw or a paint to match retaining pin that does not really quite match the gray panel color/sheen.

Not like I'm anal or something.

Rodney

Good lord, I haven't seen this much costenation over a push pin ever! You defiantly win some kind of prize. You're so special the prize hasn't been decided, but in my bathroom closet, way in the back, is an old douchebag. It's appropriate.

I seem to see that being here and having this "I want to stay as original as possible" desire opens me to a lot of ridicule from some here. That's OK. I love my "almost as it came from the factory" 87 GN. I love to look at cars at car shows that are unrestored and very close to the way they came from the factory. Seems most everyone that looks at my 87 GN enjoys hearing that it is almost exactly the same as when it left the factory. No matter what anyone says here I'm not going to modify mine much if any. I want to think many will respect my desire to do just that.

Should I start ridiculing others for hacking up their GN's and not leaving them original?

Thanks
Rodney

Should I start ridiculing others for hacking up their GN's and not leaving them original?

You can start w/ me.. My T has an LS engine in it...So what.
Most car folks could care less what your "anality" leads you to.

My car & I, do not have to operate under the same constraints as the original engineering department.

I seem to see that being here and having this "I want to stay as original as possible" desire opens me to a lot of ridicule from some here. That's OK. I love my "almost as it came from the factory" 87 GN. I love to look at cars at car shows that are unrestored and very close to the way they came from the factory. Seems most everyone that looks at my 87 GN enjoys hearing that it is almost exactly the same as when it left the factory. No matter what anyone says here I'm not going to modify mine much if any. I want to think many will respect my desire to do just that.

Thanks
Rodney
You've got it all wrong my friend. Your desire to remain as stock as possible is not the reason why people are taking jabs. Doesn't matter though, it's your car to do what you want with it. I guarantee you nobody really cares what you do to your car. We were all just trying help...in the beginning anyway.

BTW, I took the time to go back to some of your previous posts and realized they are full of contradictions. Post #12 you talk about being ok with never spooling the turbo and stating you have no problem driving it forever at half throttle in post #16. Then suddenly in post #21 you talk about actually doing "full throttle short bursts" and wanting to do "full throttle runs" when you have open roads in front of you. You also started out being adamant about maintaining originality then followed that up with admitting having changed the plate holder and cigarette lighter, not to mention all the other nonstock parts you already admitted to having on your car yet you won't change the chip because of one silly little push pin? No offense man but this really makes for one bizarre thread.

Good luck on your future plans whatever they may be.

I can full throttle it now because I upped the octane to around 95-96. If I quit adding race gas I would have to go back to being lite on the throttle. If I can find a good OEM retainer pin I'll change the chip.

The changes I have made can be quickly changed back. Lighter, rear plate frame, floor mats, black frames on the license plates. I think those are all I have done. The brake accumulator bulb (bought the German larger one). I have wanted to put a toggle switch on the power antenna hot wire (which is original and still works) but I never use the radio so have never done that. I still need to do some research on what screws came from the factory for the license plates. Maybe in the GNX section some might know. I bet there are many there that want to keep their GNX close to all original. I'm not that worried about finding the OEM license plate screws. When I bought it the OEM valve stem caps were missing, had black ones on it. I found those. Were somewhat easy to find. Happened to find a set of NOS wiper blades on eBay still in the GM plastic wrappers. When I got them here I found the wiper blades had been changed to aftermarket wiper blades. So now I have OEM NOS wiper blades on it. The license plate screws are probably the last thing I would be missing.

Rodney

Last edited:
I think you have other issues than octane and I would recommend someone looking over the car for you. Since you are in the Milwaukee area, I would reach out to Ross Roman as he knows these cars inside and out. If you want his information I can send over to you. He is quite busy with his other projects so I am unsure of his availability. He may end up recommending a TT chip as it adjusts your fuel tables and timing for today's fuels as others have suggested. Or there maybe other issues lurking.

I have a few ideas also. If I break the pin maybe I can use a few small pieces of 3M emblem tape to hold the door shut and I would glue the retainer in place so it looks original. Maybe a flat head sheet metal screw so when installed is flat to the surface of the door and glue the head of the retainer pin on the top of the flat head screw.

I'm sure this Ross Roman would have opened many and might tell me he can do it and probably get it open without breaking the pin. I would probably let him do that. I would like to contact this Ross guy and drive over and have a chat with him. I'll even pay him for this service.

It is easy to be super anal about this 87 GN because it was almost all original when I bought it at 9800 miles. So it may seem trivial on the little things I want to do but there are only a small handful of things that need to be done. One day I'll have to do the bumper fillers. I will put in the aftermarket ones. That would then be added to my list at car shows stating that the original ones eventually fail and one has to install aftermarket bumper fillers. I'm trying to keep my GN very close to original. Not 100% original.

Thanks
Rodney

He is well aware of low mile GNs, and other cars. I think it would be worth it for him to look at it. It will give you peace of mind that another set of eyes looked at it. It maybe just a chip or it maybe more, but it looks like you are grasping at straws and throwing shit against the wall to see what will stick.

So what happens when the fuel pump craps out? Will you stop driving it because you're afraid some one will notice that the straps on gas tank are not 100℅ lined up? I get people have their preferences but I think it's crazy to sacrifice originality for driveability. If people could see the chip then I would see your point. As stated keep chip in glove box and you can still say has original chip.. it's just not in it lol

If I never change the chip I have no fear of ever damaging my engine. No race gas then I drive it like a granny. I'm 60. I have no problem driving it like a granny. A/C on and cruise engaged. Life is good.

Rodney