What race gas to get??

Added some 110 race gas the other day. Tank should be around 95-96 octane now. Finally drove it today some. To start I can say the difference between having the converter in and not having a converter is huge. The power difference is more than significant. It gets into boost very quickly and really wants to keep adding boost very quickly. I did not do any full throttle runs as I was in the suburbs. I'll do some when I have some wide open roads in front of me. I did some mostly full throttle short spurts when in first and just into second gear for a bit. I did not hear any knock. My exhaust is all stock minus not having a converter so it is not loud. I ponder if one would hear the knocking if my octane was still too low? I wonder if the knocking is the biggest concern at what RPM"s? Lower or higher? The factory boost gauge did lite up the red a few times. Gauge is probably not all that accurate but my GN is very low miles.

I am looking into changing the chip. I emailed that turbo tweek guy but have not heard back from him yet. I gave him my phone number. I was hoping he would call me. I like the idea of never having to worry about putting a hole in a piston on pump gas. Buying and adding race gas is a hassle. But I do not plan on doing any other changes. At most just a chip for today's 93 octane pump gas.

Rodney

You will not hear knock with your ears.

At the least, you need to install a Scanmaster.

A modern chip for 92 octane would be smart also.

If you are "hearing" knock it's too late. That's why you need a method to view what the ecm is seeing. The knock circuit is way more sensitive and faster than your ears.

For the time being I'm going to keep adding the 110 octane to get up around 95/96 per tank. I doubt I put more than a few 300-400 miles on it every summer. I just have this "I want to keep it as original as possible" desire. That is what I talk about when people ask me about my GN. A guy the other day asked me if I restored my GN. I told him it is all original and has 10,370 miles on it.

At a local car show a guy shows up occasionally with a 70 Road Runner with a 426 Hemi 4 speed. Front bench seat is fairly trashed. Kinda rough in and out but not terrible. But still very close to original. He is very proud of that and has no interest in restoring it. I'm the same way. :) My list of things that have been changed is fairly short and I want to keep it as short as possible.

Rodney

For the time being I'm going to keep adding the 110 octane to get up around 95/96 per tank. I doubt I put more than a few 300-400 miles on it every summer. I just have this "I want to keep it as original as possible" desire. That is what I talk about when people ask me about my GN. A guy the other day asked me if I restored my GN. I told him it is all original and has 10,370 miles on it.

At a local car show a guy shows up occasionally with a 70 Road Runner with a 426 Hemi 4 speed. Front bench seat is fairly trashed. Kinda rough in and out but not terrible. But still very close to original. He is very proud of that and has no interest in restoring it. I'm the same way. :) My list of things that have been changed is fairly short and I want to keep it as short as possible.

Rodney

I wanted to consider a chip but the turbotweak guy never called me. I'm not comfortable just ordering a chip and hoping for the best. I need to hear what is what before I order one. I emailed him my phone number and got back 2 very short emails.

Rodney

I suppose you want him to come your house and install it too?:rolleyes:

I suppose you want him to come your house and install it too?:rolleyes:

Really uncalled for. :(

I sell a line of automotive parts and acc's. I gladly spend as much time on the phone as anyone needs to discuss my parts and how they fit, install etc. My phone number is well published.

Rodney
www.rodneydickman.com

I wanted to consider a chip but the turbotweak guy never called me. I'm not comfortable just ordering a chip and hoping for the best. I need to hear what is what before I order one. I emailed him my phone number and got back 2 very short emails.

Rodney

What do you want to hear? He's the best chip guy imop for the turbo buicks. Your car will run better with his chip then it ever has. No need to hope for the best when you're going to get the best.

Just order it and be done.

If you want someone to help you install the chip I'm sure that can be arranged

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Order a Scanmaster at the same time. Depending upon how you mount the Scanmaster, it will not change the originality of the car. Simple three wire hook up using 2 plug-in spade ends & a ground loop.

Buy it, install it. It is the best. Don't ask any questions.

I can't buy a chip on that advice. No one should.

For now I'll mix my gas. One day I might change the chip. But first I need to know what the new chip will do compared to the old chip.

And no - I do not need help changing it. Have had multiple hot rods etc in my life that I have built. I design and manufacture many of the products I sell. I can and have done most everything. But now that I am 60 I find cars that are all original are the ones I want to see at any car show. I just tend to walk past all the heavily modified cars looking for old near original cars. Same reason I am very proud to own an almost 100% all original 87 GN. I just love to tell people how close it is to factory original.

Rodney

PS:

Had I bought an 87 GN maybe 20-25 years ago I would have modified the heck out of it and I would be doing 8 second quarter mile passes. :)

That was then and this is now. My interests in cars has changed. If I see a 70 Challenger 440 6 pak 4 speed in near original condition (retored to OEM is OK) I just get weak knees. I have many others I like also. But the 87 GN was for me these days. I want an automatic. I'm tired of shifting. My 308 is a stick shift. That is OK but I wanted a occasional driver I could just get in and relax and drive. The only car that fit that was the 87 GN. I can't have a automatic muscle car. Never. The 87(?) 442 was one I would have considered also. To me a really sharp looking car. No HP but I wouldn't care that much. I would only drive it. But the GN is way cooler so a 87 GN was for me. Had to be low miles and original.

Rodney

Last edited:
PS:

Had I bought an 87 GN maybe 20-25 years ago I would have modified the heck out of it and I would be doing 8 second quarter mile passes. :)

That was then and this is now. My interests in cars has changed. If I see a 70 Challenger 440 6 pak 4 speed in near original condition (retored to OEM is OK) I just get weak knees. I have many others I like also. But the 87 GN was for me these days. I want an automatic. I'm tired of shifting. My 308 is a stick shift. That is OK but I wanted a occasional driver I could just get in and relax and drive. The only car that fit that was the 87 GN. I can't have a automatic muscle car. Never. The 87(?) 442 was one I would have considered also. To me a really sharp looking car. No HP but I wouldn't care that much. I would only drive it. But the GN is way cooler so a 87 GN was for me. Had to be low miles and original.

Rodney

Buy it, install it. It is the best. Don't ask any questions.

I can't buy a chip on that advice. No one should.

For now I'll mix my gas. One day I might change the chip. But first I need to know what the new chip will do compared to the old chip.

And no - I do not need help changing it. Have had multiple hot rods etc in my life that I have built. I design and manufacture many of the products I sell. I can and have done most everything. But now that I am 60 I find cars that are all original are the ones I want to see at any car show. I just tend to walk past all the heavily modified cars looking for old near original cars. Same reason I am very proud to own an almost 100% all original 87 GN. I just love to tell people how close it is to factory original.

Rodney

Well Sir, its time for you to do some research then. Use the search function and you can read more about eric and his chips. You will also be able to find out what is being changed in the chip and how his chips have evolved over the years. After you are done with the 1000+ hours of research you can come back and post the same info we are giving you. Buy his chip, install it, its the best...

We are trying to save you lots of time and headaches as most of us have already been in your shoes and wouldn't guide you down the wrong path. We are all here to make these cars run better and hopefully keep them around for many years to come.

I heard hyper-tech chips are awesome ;)

3-4 minutes on the phone would save me thousands and thousands of hours and hours searching and reading etc. I answer the phone a lot everyday. I answer many questions. I am the foremost expert on my products. He is the foremost expert on these chips.

Rodney

Or just post your questions here and we can help.

Unless you don't want to listen to us...

But researching it here is the best thing you can do.

Any good sales person can sell you junk.. customer feedback is the most important.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rodney,
I purchased a TT chip from Eric. Didn't talk to the guy but he shot me some short emails. I can't tell you exactly what "number" the chip was , but it was for my bone stock GN. I didn't want to worry about not enough octane , detonating something and having the motor crap out a head gasket.
Anyway, it was well worth it. Idles better, spools quicker ,.......just runs better.
FWIW

Sounds to me the real issue is you're afraid you might scratch the panel or break the little retention pin. Oh well.

Can that whole lower panel be removed without popping the gray pin for the door for ECM access?

Rodney

OK. I'm searching for a good used or NOS gray retainer pin thingy. If I can find one I'll pop open that door and order up a new prom. If I break the retainer pin I'll have a spare. I kinda have my doubts I ever find another retainer pin but maybe I'll get lucky. Adding in the race gas is not that hard. I take my 5 gallon steel can of race gas and fill up a 2 1/2 gallon plastic gas can (the old good type). Once I'm at the gas station I put on a foot long rubber hose on the 2 1/2 gallon can and dump the 110 in the tank. Then I fill it up. I'll admit I changed the plate holder to the stay down type. I'm all for original but no one but me will generally see that and it can't be seen and is easy to change back. I had those spring loaded license plate brackets on my 78 Firebird Formula and my 79 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am and I just hated them. What a joy to not have to work against that spring loaded plate holder! Just don't forget to lift it back up. :)

Thanks
Rodney