what oil pan gasket

racer5252

is anybody using just "The Right Stuff" with no gasket for the oil pan? Im about ready to try it unless someone talks me out of it.

That's the only way I do it anymore. I learned my lesson doing three gasket swaps in one day.

It's impossible to have the gasket split on you if you leave it at the parts store :)

Cometic makes a good one that hasn't leaked yet on my engine.
I've got one ready for my next build. It is almost like a reuseable pan gasket on newer transmissions, quite sturdy looks like it will not push out.

I plan on doing mine shortly. I plan on using gasket and rtv to hold it in place. I used RTV and gasket on rear diff.
Joel

I just finished putting my pan on with only The Right Stuff and no gasket. Hope that will be the last time.

new fel pro gaskets are pretty nice, its blue had no problems with it, squashes well

I just use black RTV and no more leaks. I did 3 gaskets in a weekend and it still leaked so I decided no more gaskets..

ks

I just use black RTV and no more leaks. I did 3 gaskets in a weekend and it still leaked so I decided no more gaskets..

ks

That's exactly what caused me to ditch the gaskets. Three trips to the parts store and wiped out their inventory.

The forth try was nothing but The Right Stuff, and that did it.

This is interesting ... If I may ask how exactly are you guys doing this just with the right stuff ? Are u applying a thick layer all the way around ? How long do you let it sit before u set it into place and begin tighten it up ?

Clean and degrease the pan rail and oil pan rail. Put a small bead around the pan. By the time you get the bead 'just right', it's skinned over and ready to install. That's it, no magic involved.

If you look at the pan rail on a 20 bolt pan, there's little tits that stick up to set the height off the engine. (also the reason the gaskets like to split). You only need the bead to stick up a little higher than the stands. No need to fill up the crankcase with Right Stuff worms.

There is no doubt that the Right Stuff RTV will seal the oil pan to the engine without a gasket,but i hope you never have to remove it for any reason. I used the Ultra Black RTV to seal my transmission pan to the transmission without a gasket, then a year later when i went to remove the pan to change the filter i had to destroy the pan getting it off. I also used the Ultra Black RTV at the same time to install my valve cover on my 2.3 inline 4 cyl and a few months later i tried to remove it by prying on it and using a rubber mallet and it wouldn't budge one bit i gave up trying to get it off,so the valve cover is still on there but the good news is it doesn't leak,haha.

I would just get a good cork gasket for the oil pan and if needed use the regular strength RTV.

In order for it to seal good I used several cans of carb cleaner and sprayed the pan off and the engine. Make sure there is no oil on any surface. Bolt the pan in place and let it sit for 24 hours before adding any oil.

ks

i finally drove it last weekend and not a singe drop of oil on the garage floor. I'M SOLD ON "THE RIGHT STUFF" WITH NO GASKET!!

I like the duttweiler cork gasket with gray silicone in the corners. You have to put a small bead of silicone at the seams or it will leak with any gasket! I had no leaks after changing my rear main seal and when I pulled the pan six months later to replace the timing chain it was an easy clean up and back together with a new dutt cork gasket. Think I got it from kirban or gbodyparts.

http://www.kirbanperformance.com/product/139/OIL+PAN+GASKET+#6771.html

i finally drove it last weekend and not a singe drop of oil on the garage floor. I'M SOLD ON "THE RIGHT STUFF" WITH NO GASKET!!

I'm glad you had better luck than I did. I tried the the silicone only gasket twice and it leaked. The first time I used it on the stand and I think I was too conservative on my bead. Leaked like there was no gasket at all. The second time I tried it was an attempt at an "in car" fix that was a total disaster. Trying to drop the pan with main studs with the engine in the car is a PIA. I had the mounts disconnected and the motor raised and it was still a mess. It leaked slightly after that and I just pulled the entire engine back out and put it back on the stand. Doesn't leak now:

Oil Pan ---> Rightstuff ---> Cometic gasket ---> Rightstuff ---> engine block

:)