What kind of crank?

Lunkan

Crazy? Me? :-P
I´m rebuilding another motor and was wondering what kind of crank this is.

Why would one cut a stock intake "gasket" like in the other picture?

Cause of the rebuild is the third picture.

Thanks in advance
/Andreas

Attachments

• crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 157
  • gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 148
  • cause.jpg
    cause.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 763
It's a stock crank that has been to crankshaft specialties for some reason. The stock gasket in picture #2 has been modified to keep the baffle portion while using 1200 intake gaskets. This is usually done to minimize oil getting sucked up by the PCV valve and it keeps hot oil off the bottom of the intake too.

Neal

Lunkan said:
I´m rebuilding another motor and was wondering what kind of crank this is.

Why would one cut a stock intake "gasket" like in the other picture?

Cause of the rebuild is the third picture.

Thanks in advance
/Andreas

I wouldnt use that crank in a high horsepower application. It got to hot where the bearing spun.

What would be the best choice as to the intake gasket when I assemble the engine, keep the cut stock w/ 1200 gasket or use a Felpro 96033?

bison said:
I wouldnt use that crank in a high horsepower application. It got to hot where the bearing spun.
I´m rebuilding this engine for a Regal owner here in Sweden. The car is a GNX converted RegalT that he imported from Florida this winter. I have to check with him how hard he´s planning to use the car, but it´s got some fancy parts:
- all billet mains
- girdle
- ARP´s all around
- ATR 214/208
- ported heads
- JE´s with bushings instead of pressed pins
- "some kind of" TE-turbo

The shop was kind of worried that the crank would be trashed. We´ll see by Monday what he has to say about it.

What are the resources for new cranks now? And what range are they?

Thanks
//Andreas

The heads look to have good size intake ports. Using the Felpro 1200's is probably the best bet. You can go with the cut stock gasket like before.
I'm sort of worried about the crank. To me it looks as if it was hard chromed before. I would wonder what had happened the 1st time to need that done. Now it's in need of grinding best case scenario, I'd just replace it myself. Replacement forged cranks can be purchased from either Eagle or CAT, stock cranks can be found for a reasonable price on the board.

Lunkan said:
What would be the best choice as to the intake gasket when I assemble the engine, keep the cut stock w/ 1200 gasket or use a Felpro 96033?The shop was kind of worried that the crank would be trashed. We´ll see by Monday what he has to say about it.

What are the resources for new cranks now? And what range are they?

Thanks
//Andreas

Neal

750H.P.V6 said:
The heads look to have good size intake ports. Using the Felpro 1200's is probably the best bet. You can go with the cut stock gasket like before.
I'm sort of worried about the crank. To me it looks as if it was hard chromed before. I would wonder what had happened the 1st time to need that done. Now it's in need of grinding best case scenario, I'd just replace it myself. Replacement forged cranks can be purchased from either Eagle or CAT, stock cranks can be found for a reasonable price on the board.Neal

I agree and would go with the forged crank. Only a little more than a good used stocker and can be internally balanced a lot easier than a stocker. The crank is the weak link in your buildup anyway. Go for the forging and have piece of mind that it wont split in 2 when it gets hammered.

Thanks guys for the info. I´ve talked to the owner and will look for a crank.

Lunkan said:
Thanks guys for the info. I´ve talked to the owner and will look for a crank.
The Eagle crank so far seems to be great for the buck. As far as the intake gasket, if you are running nice breathers in the valve covers, you wont need a pcv valve. So just run the 1200's. With a pcv and no stock intake gasket/pan, you will suck oil rite in the intake. Not sure about the oil hitting intake manifold theory, the stock intake is a hi-rise.