what is the lowest thing you have seen cop do?

Remember folks, there's two sides to every story. 63 year old guy I dealt with last night wanted me to arrest a 20 something kid for punching him in the jaw and running away. He had the tag number. Sounds legit? The REST of the story is that both drivers exited their vehicles for a road rage fight and the older guy was mad cause the kid got the shot off first and then fled before the old guy could get a lick in. The tag number he gave me was no good and he wanted me to "arrest him, bring him here and give me five minutes with him."

I politely told him there was nothing I could do since we had no suspect and MUTUAL COMBATANTS. One goes? They both go. He left all mad...probably thinking the cops do nothing to help him.

Typical.

Oh, and keeping with the thread, the lowest or the sneakiest? Sneaky is not low.

My dad has a building in a commercial complex. He was about to leave and it was dark. As he turned out all the lights, he saw a police car pull up next to a row of businesses. The officer got out and went to each door and turned each knob. One door opened and the alarm went off. After just a few minutes several other officers pulled up and they were chatting. My dad walked up there and they all pulled their guns on him. They checked him out and said they were responding to the alarm. He kept his mouth shut and left. He said he felt lucky because he knew that it was a false alarm and the one officer had caused it. He didn't expect them to draw down on him after what he had seen. It dawned on him that the officer wasn't checking those locks as a public service.

Just saw a fine example of "the law not following the law" this weekend. We went to Albuquerque and on the way, we were passed by a good ol' New Mexico Sheriff who was talking on the phone, not using turn signals, doing right at 85 and weaving in and out of traffic. I reset the cruise to 83 and followed along for as long as I could. The speed limit on I-25 is 75 and after he got long out of site, I reset it to 78 and continued our trip. We get the city police doing the same thing on one of our 4 lane streets all the time. Go from the far right lane across to the far left and turn without any signals whatsoever. I am going to get a camera and mount it in my car and record all that I can and if I ever get pulled over for something trivial, I will present it as evidence that they are not leading by example. Also, I must have seen at least 30 people in Albuquerque use signals which is probably a record since nearly 99 % of the people there never use the signals anyway. :D

Maybe when the cops speed without lights on, they're just trying to get somewhere where they are needed... and don't need to turn on their lights to 'inconvience" other people. That's my look at it..

Most of the time they at least have the yellow "caution" lights on. But when they are involved in what looks like a happy little conversation with their bud on the phone and not paying attention to the road, that is when it gets serious. Back in high school, I saw an officer destroy a beautifully restored 67 Mustang because he was in a hurry to cut across 5 lanes of traffic. No lights, no signals, no warning. He just cut the wheel left without looking and smashed the car from the right and into a car waiting in the turning lane. A nice little 3 car pile up and he had an attitude. Me and a few friends witnessed the whole thing and told the detective EXACTLY what happened. His story was quite different as he was "not at fault" since he used his "warning devices". :rolleyes:

City had to pay for the girls car which had only been finished for a couple days when the wreck happened.

I've seen cops clocking and ticketing people on Christmas morning in my home town. Get a life ass-holes.

Originally posted by ross87t
I've seen cops clocking and ticketing people on Christmas morning in my home town. Get a life ass-holes.

When I was a kid, dad got a ticket on the way to church on Christmas morning.

When I was in high school I got pulled over 22, count 'em, 22 times for absolutely nothing. This is over a 1.5 year period folks. The cops harrassed me because I was a young kid with nice cars. I had no police record what so ever. One cop in particular pulled me over quite a few times. He would follow me all over. One time, while driving in front of my school, this pos was following me (again), and as I'm driving, 3 kids walk out in front of me. I stop, and wait for them to pass. They pass, and I continue driving. The cop pulls me over (again), and by now, I'm good and pissed. I get out, and this jagoff pulls his gun and orders me into my car. He said "You can't just park in the middle of the street", referring to my stop allowing the kids to cross, who he apparently "didn't see". I got his badge number and name and my father called the police dept. Never had a problem after that. And those 22 times I got pulled over? Not one fu(king ticket.

Low? I got pulled over in a small town outside where I live for speeding (which I was). The officer was writing me a ticket, which I deserved, when one of my other employees pulls up behind us to see whats up. This (former) employee asks the cop if theres anything we can do to avoid this ticket. The cop says "Pay in cash right now". So we did, and mysteriously, my ticket dissappeared. Weird.

Cops are just people like us, and make mistakes, and have weaknesses, but I think the power goes to their heads alot. I grow tired of the "Holier than thou" attitude, like they aren't 5 times as crooked as half the people they arrest. Its too bad that a few "bad" cops ruin the reputations of all the good ones. I respect and appreciate their efforts, at least the good ones, but the bad ones? F' em, they are worse than crooks.

I don't like speed traps - police set up just to catch speeders - not driving/patroling as a deterrence. However, I really like it when one of my neighbors is an officer and parks their marked car (legally) at home. Sort of gives you a nice warm fuzzy feeling thinking that any would-be robbers will probably pass with a patrol car parked 2-3 houses down. :) Like any other profession, I'm sure that there are a few unscrupulous people in law enforcement.

Originally posted by Tin Man
Here is the lowest thing that Texas Officers have done. Low being buried 6 feet under protecting and serving you.

http://www.pomf.org/2003/tpom2003.html

True true ----

There have been 65 line-of-duty deaths in 2004 and 17,200 total.

All serving and protecting citizens.. Some good some bad...But still there for you regardless of the insults, criticisms, and bad apples that plague the image of the profession..

On a more humerous note..

Here is a proposed Police/Sheriff Answering machine script:

Hello, you have reached the ???Police/Sheriff Department voice mail.

-To whine about us not doing anything to solve a problem you created for yourself, press1.

-To inquire whether someone has to die before we’ll do something about a problem,
press 2.

-To report an officer for bad manners when in reality the officer is trying to keep your neighborhood safe, press 3.

-If you would like us to raise your children, press 4.

-If you would like us to take control of your life due to your alcoholic or chemical dependency, press 5.

-If you would like us to instantly restore order to a situation that took years to deteriorate, press 6.

-To tell us that you know the Chief of Police and or some other very important person and that we should respond to your problem immediately, press 7.

-To sue us, tell us you’ll have our badge, that you pay our salary, or proclaim that our career is over, press 8.

-To hear this menu again, wrap aluminum foil around your head and turn around three times.

Thank god that 99.9% of us genuinely care for people..

I was cruising in the race car...had my harness on just 3 points. I turned out of a restaurant and stood on the gas. Right in front of a cop (female) She got me for cracked exhaust, peeling and squeeling, and seatbelt!!!! wtf.. I argued and said I had it on the whole time(which I did) She claimed she could not see it fastened from behind and I put it on as she came up to the door...duh! can't see a harness from behind!! She said argue with the judge. I ended up paying for everything, I was pissed.

Of course it was wrong, I could've hurt someone scuffing my tires and deafened some people.

Not by far the lowest thing but it sucked and thought I would share it with you folks.

I see quite a few officers in their cruisers. I would say about 75% that I see on the highway do not use signals and speed w/o lights. Hell, it pisses me off when other people don't use signals...let alone the police. :eek:

About the speeding thing.. Yeah I am sure it is abused allot but allot of the complaints are bogus... Not bogus in the sense that they were speeding but bogus that it really was not speeding for no reason. Here is the skinny I tell everyone when I hear this daily. You really dont know where he/she is going nor on what type of call. The majority of agencys have response codes..
IE:

Code 1 - Normal response
Code 2 - Expedited (NOT BALLS TO THE WALL BUT GET THERE QUICK)
Code 3 - Lights/Sirens and hurry up..

ALL HOWEVER MUST BE DONE WITH DUE REGARD OF OTHERS. THERE IS NO LAW THAT SAYS AN OFFICER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS OR HER ACTIONS. We do not get carte blanche to break the law, there are excemptions where we need to get somewhere, we can. Understand as well this can become habit forming, meaning when I get behind the wheel of my personal vehicles and I find myself sometimes in the Code 2 mode because it is a very common response. I mean it is a catch 22, If we respond too fast we are reckless, too slow we are negligent, there is no "right" response in the eyes of society as every situation is slightly different and affects all people differently. What may be a crisis for you may be "not a big deal" for others. However being in the middle kinda sux but comes with the job. It is a thankless, dangerous, profession, however I would not dream of going back to anything else. As far as the "Money Making" schemes, and the Quota beleifs, there is no such thing.. And for those whom beleive that can kiss my booty.. We see nothing, no bonus, no financial gain of anykind WHICH IS A VERY VERY GOOD THING cause it puts the B in Biased. I have been in the business since 1989 where i started out in Broward Co FL, and I can honestly say the following:

I have been offered bribes both by sexual and monetary ways...
I have been cussed out by the 8-89 year olds
I HAVE had my azz kicked
I have been shot at and have returned the favor
I have always heard the same complaints from everyone.

But one thing you should remember as a member of the community, you all have the Luxury of not knowing what I know and see on a daily basis. In your backyard, in the streets and in the courtroom.. Believe me your complaints are the last thing I am worried about. I do care about you and your opinions, but like everything else, it is part of the job. And if someone is "speeding" or going too fast just think, he or she maybe going to your house, your neighbor, or something else that is deemed to expedite. Sorry not venting (not trying) but speaking my mind as well.. I still luv you guys! ;) ------NO NOT IN THAT WAY

Originally posted by progress1vebmx
Good reply aperrego.

Yeah I agree, good reply.

I am thinking of being a police officer. But it seems like so much to do. I just want to chase after people and shoot my gun.

Writing reports suck. Reminds me of school or something.

:p

^^in my best sarcastic voice^^

Sersiously I'm thinking about it.

Originally posted by ross87t

Oh I see.. Then we should all have a "Free for all" day for christmas.. Let me ask you a question...About 10 years ago, I responded to an accident coincidentally on christmas day.. When some Winner decided to go 20 MPH over the speed limit and Tbone a car that killed 2 out of 5 people. The mother, and a 6 year old that were on thier way to the grandparents to celebrate christmas. So I guess instead of charging the guy for involuntary manslaughter I should have just said ho ho ho merry christmas?

So on behalf of the widower, and others lost in this particular and very frequent other events, to the ignorant ones such as your self, how about "Give a life" instead of saying "get a life" ..

Like it or not, holiday or not there is a reason for this.. It should and in most cases slows people down.

BTW:

"In 2002, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates Nationally that fatal crashes in which speed was a contributing factor killed 13,713 people. The economic cost of all speed-related crashes is estimated at $40.4 billion. "

That is larger than allot of towns/cities across america.

Don't like it.. Dont speed plain and simple..

Nice post Aperrego. I'm not good at saying things like this but here goes....

Someone seen, heard of, or had some negative expeirences with law enforcement officials. Alot think that ALL are bad or do the same things. This is kinda like how some folks think that ALL teens or black people do the same bad things based upon a single or multiple incidents.

Everybody does this, it's called stereotyping. If you are sharp you'll notice that I just did it myself.

I see officers do bad things and I see them do really good things. Just like citizens, I see them do bad things and good things.

A single official cannot bust everyone at the same time for breaking our laws, that's why only a select get the tickets and the rest continue breaking the law...that is until their day comes and it will. In one of two forms. In the form of a ticket (pay it and life goes on) Two, it will come in a very bad way. You kill someone or the unfortunate event that yourself has expired.

The bottom line is officers are here to protect you and everyone else out there. If it envolves writing you a ticket to protect the lives of others they will do it. They will also dispatch for the coroners office to scrape you off the road.

It can happen to anyone. So if everyone drives more careful then the risk of being on the fatal side is reduced.