What is the F-body replacement radiator for an 85 GN?

BRAD_PADGETT

I need an F-body radiator for my 85 GN which will replace exactly the original stock one. I have heard that is will help my high temps 210 at 85 degrees outside with a 160 degree thremostat. What year and model F-Body or NAPA part number. Thanks- Brad

factory 85 gn has a narrow radiator

the fbody will drop in with a rubber move on the bottom and get a v8 upper rad. suppot plate and an electric fan

dont forget to remove the plastic piece that is beside your narrow radiator to keep air from going around it

Those are both a 1 row just like the factory one for those cars. They both cool fine on my car and a friends 357cid small block chevy with a 671 blower.

Radiator

I lived in California during the 80's when I bought my 84 and 85. I still have both of them, and they both have two row. Do you know if that was unique because of California smog laws?

I just installed a Modine 951 today. Here are the results.

The car would heat up to 225 degrees with outside temp at 90 degress with the stock radiator and a 160 thermostat.

I now only go up to 170 degrees with the 160 degree thermostat.

The 951 Modine will install but it about 6 inches longer than the stock so you do have to bend some trans cooler lines and adjust the upper radiator hose out of the housing. You do lose the stock look a little but the cooler engine is worth it. Thanks- Brad

Dr. D said:
I lived in California during the 80's when I bought my 84 and 85. I still have both of them, and they both have two row. Do you know if that was unique because of California smog laws?

Most likely, but I know when I look up those years I come up with a different radiator number. The car I looked up to get that number is an 89 Firebird with a 5.7L (350).

BRAD_PADGETT said:
The 951 Modine will install but it about 6 inches longer than the stock so you do have to bend some trans cooler lines and adjust the upper radiator hose out of the housing. You do lose the stock look a little but the cooler engine is worth it. Thanks- Brad

Yeah, had to make the same adjustments. I could have just gotten a V-8 upper support, but, with the help of a good friend, we built one out of aluminum instead.

Here is a pic of the 2 radiators to give ya an idea of the size difference.

Attachments

• New Radiator 1.JPG
    New Radiator 1.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 82
  • New Radiator 2.JPG
    New Radiator 2.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 67
Final post on my thread. The new radiator works great. I have another option in order to hold the larger radiator down on the drivers side. Go to your local junck yard and pick up a Olds 307 CI car and get the radiator hold down plate. Then cut it off and bolt in on so that the drivers side radiator is held in place. I will e-mail picks for all are interested. Brad

Here is the pic of the upper support we built.

Attachments

• Upper support.JPG
    Upper support.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Taurus fan.JPG
    Taurus fan.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 70
You'd think it would be a better fit that a Camaro/Firebird radiator. I swapped out an NA 3.8 for a 350 Olds in a Regal and used that radiator. Butter :biggrin: