What is the biggest turbo you can run on the street

One thing to look at with spooling a larger turbo is you can change exhaust housings to tailor the turbo to your car. I'm working on a deal that will either net me a BB-70 (Q-Trim) or a Non-BB 70 (P-Trim). With the Art Carr 19930 thats in my car spooling a P-trim 70 with a decently large size exhaust housing (.85 PTE) should be no problem. If I go with the BB-70 I will also look at a .85 housing due to the fact the BB turbos do spool faster. I want a little lag so the car is tamer leaving from a stop.

You can get .63 Garret .63 PTE .8? Garret .85 PTE among other exhaust housings.

Turbonetics and Garret make BB setups. The Turbonetics one uses a BB on one side and the Garret uses BB on both sides. Both are expensive :D

If I remember right, If you look a PTE 5x turbo compared to say a Limit Eng. 49/44/60/61 you will see one less blade on the exhaust wheel. That may be what helps the spool-up (less blades, less weight, easier spool)

When I was comparing my TA-54 with my friends 60-1 Stage V Big Shaft P-trim the exhaust wheel on his looked to have a different pitch to it. that will affect the way the turbo spools too.

Wow, glad I didn't jump up and down and respond right away. I kinda thought Lee's response implyed more than he took credit for. The fact is, Turbonetics is one of the leaders in the turbo field in all areas. As for the Buick community, I have been working closely with them to ensure we bring the best product available to you guys. I personally test every combo we have sold. Our results are based on actual experience, not on someone elses say so. I could give anyone a line of BS to sell my products, but prefer to let the product speak for itself. I see a couple of guys have already shared THEIR ACTUAL experiences, not some BS they heard. Our turbos have now been around for quite some time and have proven to the users their benefits. We not only sell the BB turbos but the non BB turbos as well with the newest wheels available on the market. But every turbo is only as good as the combo they are used with. Like Ted said, combo, combo, and combo. We spend the time with our customers to ensure they are putting the right parts together, if you want to just order a turbo or some other part and find it not to work well,, most likely the combo isn't matched. I'm just a little guy compared to the other names mentioned and don't have the time to respond or push what we carry, my business was built on word of mouth. Not everyone is on the internet that used our products. Hope you understand where I am coming from, point being, we can debate forever, but experience is the final answer.:)

Jack,
I hope you weren't taking my first response as derogatory against you or the turbos you sell. I am like the person who started this thread. I want to know the real scoop as I am going to be buying another turbo for my GN in the next few weeks. I want to make sure I get the best that I can for my money AND get support behind it. Its a lot of loot to drop on something.
I guess my question is, who can I buy a quality turbo from that wont give me a hard time if I install it on the car and the bearings go out on the turbo or if a seal blows?

speaking from experience

Lee,
I can vouch for Jack on the issue of standing behind what he sells. After spinning a bearing last year Jack stood behind a Turbonetics turbo that he didn't even sell to me. He always has time to give me advice on my combo and explain things to me. I don't think you will be disappointed in a turbo or the support that comes with it from CP.

Steve Cornell

86TurboT. that is exactly what I wanted to hear. If I spend $1500 for a turbo from someone and it fails for reasons beyond my control, I don't want to get the run around. I also wanted to hear some feedback from people that were running ball bearing turbos. I feel that my original post had nothing derogatory about Turbonetics, but I am allowed to ask the questions of "do they work?" without people jumping on my case.

BB Turbo

GNVAIR,
Even though my turbo is a ball bearing, I'm not the best person to talk the diff. between bb and non. The reason I say this is: my turbo is concidered a small turbo (compared to a 66 or 70) and it spools intantly, but if it wasn't a bb turbo it would still spool quickly enough that I may not notice a diff. but when you start talking in the range of a te-63 or larger you get more lag because of the larger compressor wheel and that is where you would notice a diff. between a bb and a non bb. Don't get me wrong my turbo is very nice but, if I hadn't bought the car with this turbo on it I would have gone with at least a te-63 bb. It would spool as quickly as a smaller turbo with the air flow characteristics of a turbo with a 63mm compressor wheel. HTH

P.S. This is the kind of thing that Jack has taken the time to explain to me and I hope I remembered correctly.

Steve Cornell

Holy resurected thread Batman!

Since last year I went to a LT-70 P-Trim. I am now running a .63 Garret exhaust housing on it and its a ball on the street. Boost comes up quick and it pulls HARD. I can't wait to get the good heads on the car....

BTW: the car went low 12's with 14psi with the 70 in street trim. I'm running some homebrew octane boost and 17-18psi right now and the car flys!

If I were to buy a turbo I will make sure that it is a Turbonetics product. My experience; turbonetics 60-1 was on my car for 11 yrs and finally it started smoking around 50k hard street/strip miles. I had a H3T04B for 7yrs and still on the car and running strong (car was sold). I have 2 hifi 60-1 on my Twin turbo SBC still running strong. TE44 lasted 2k, TE62 700miles and a TE60 lasted 7K all had to be rebuilt. I also think that all the turbonetics turbos with the gold backing has the big shaft and that may have something to do with the long life.

Just my $.02

Prasad

I have a TE63 and 3200 vigilante and it spools super fast.Hazes the et streets from a stop or a roll.It isnt my daily driver,but could be.Gas mileage is great and it is true that the combo has to be matched perfectly to get the most out of it.The only thing keeping me out of the 11s in street trim is traction.

What's the deal on the Garrett "GT" series turbos that PTE is advertising? Anyone try one yet?

Originally posted by GNVAIR
Thanks Steve :)
I guess I will have to talk to Jack if and when he comes down to Atco.
Lee, Jack would be the MAN to talk to about the BB turbo, reason I am saying this is that I purchase most of if not all of my stuff from Jack he has treated me as good as a brother and he has not steered me wrong(Jack you can send the check after you read this post haha) all joking aside there a few vendors that you can talk to but Jack would be the one I would talk to. Jr P.S. as far as the BB turbo goes I wouldn't go back to a standard turbo once the 51 in the wifes car goes in goes a bb. Jr.

ttt, in honor of the pioneers
Wow. I wonder what most of these guys would say if we said we would go 131+ with a pt54 or 135+ with a 62 or 155+mph with a 67 3 bolt and stock blocks. I'm convinced the cast 60-1 could produce 9 sec power also. I remember telling guys i went 124mph with a 54 back in 1999. They were like no way. Times have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is gold, looking at some board names I haven't seen in a while.... Guys saying the TE-45/45A was one of the larger street able turbos, funny how things have changed.

Funny thing is, I had my 87 gn at Jacks shop right at the time he was posting in this thread about reviewing combos with the customers etc..well I was the damn fool who dropped off the car with a list of mismatched parts to be installed and a check for 5 grand, he kept the boost down so I wouldn't blow it up on the way home didn't have a scan master and didn't know what the hell I was doing. He did offer for me to bring it out to him some weekend when he and others were test and tuneing somewhere in Mexico? Never did take him up on that, car was a bore so i parked it then later sold it. Live and learn.
I remember him suggesting a stretch I/c at the time, I was like why? Whats wrong with my stock one? He looked at me with that straight face and said " For ur combo man"....good times

Im still friends with some of those guys to this day, but they haven't been on the board in almost 10 years.