What is the best "in tank" fuel pump?

The Darkside

Heavy Metal Thunder
I need to buy a new "in tank" fuel pump for my combo listed below. Which pump should I buy?? I've heard about a new Walbro that supoosed to be much improved & also about some other new on the market pump that even though it got some very good reviews, I also heard that might be overpowering for the stock fuel lines & in keeping fuel pressure down at idle.......Advice & opinions???

The Darkside:cool:

The new JayRacing in-tank is a pretty nice pump that you can use with gas or ethanol and flows around the same (or a little more) as a Bosch 044...Jay flow tests them before shipment...he needs to become a vendor though...

He is a well known DSM guy and has some quality parts and service but as far as I know he hasnt ventured to the dark side yet.

It's a tough call. The new Walbros are doing the job but the rash of failures in the past have left a scar.

If you want to stay in tank I would look at running double pumps regardless of what brand you choose. Thats a pretty helthy combo. ;)

I put one of the 3 year warranty pumps in and it was noticeably quieter. Didn't have stock lines so I didn't notice a difference in fuel pressure. At almost twice the price I may wait for the new walbro. A warranty is great for simple wont starts but handing me a new pump while I have a damaged engine is better than nothing....I guess.:biggrin:

If all you care about is flow = Jay Racing (but not by a lot in the critical 70psi + area though)

If you care about longevity and flow = DW (3 year warranty)

If you want to forget about a mass raping to our community and is cheaper = Walbro

I'd go with that new DW pump, but I'm concerned about it overwhelming my stock fuel lines....
Is the new Walbro available yet & if so, who carries it?

Jays pump also sounds good, so what are the downsides to his??

No real downside to the JayRacing pump if your going to be running normal pressures...actually from my research the new pump Jay has would be the best choice for a single in tank configuration and would flow very close to the older 255 wally double pumper setups...

I'd go with that new DW pump, but I'm concerned about it overwhelming my stock fuel lines....
Is the new Walbro available yet & if so, who carries it?

Jays pump also sounds good, so what are the downsides to his??

Well, i installed the DW pump and didn't have to make any adjustments to the fuel pressure:cool: Also for what it's worth my gn has 24 year old original factory lines!!!!

Well, i installed the DW pump and didn't have to make any adjustments to the fuel pressure:cool: Also for what it's worth my gn has 24 year old original factory lines!!!!

Also would not hurt to support a vender by going with the DW pump...

also running the dw pump, and it was fine even without a hotwire! i eventually plugged in the hotwire tho lol

Ok, I've been off the forums for quite a while. What is this "DW" fuel pump and who's the vendor? It's not Drum Workshop or Dan Wesson!

Ok, I've been off the forums for quite a while. What is this "DW" fuel pump and who's the vendor? It's not Drum Workshop or Dan Wesson!

X2 - I'm getting ready to upgrade as well, I was going to go with the walbro but wouldn't mind knowing what the DW is as well.:)

I posted most of the install. DEATSCH-WERKS..."D.W." I havent got alot of runs on it, but its done ok. My fuel pressure was a little low on a 29lb blast, but I still have some tuning to do. 0 knock, but pressure was about 6 lbs lower then I would have liked. I simply might need to run a higher idle pressure then the normal 38-39. It is very quiet compared to my WALBRO.

:biggrin:

Would the DW fuel pump be able to comfortably fuel my combo if I wanted to run 25 lbs of boost??

The Darkside

It should but if you can afford it I would still run two of whatever you decide on for piece of mind even if its a simple tee'd setup using the stock hanger...that GTQ is gonna be moving some air around 25psi...