What is the best drag radial?

Which Drag Radials do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evaddave 87gn

Always learning...
Looking for which drag radial works the best for you.

I need to buy some tires and wanted to see if anyone has any positive and/or negative reviews of the tires listed above.

Also how tall of a tire do you run and why?

M&H 275 55 16 is what i have been using,mostly street. i love them. they seem alot cheaper than MT's i paid 182 ea at summit

i run mt et streets 275 60 15 depends on what your looking for and overall combo 275 60 15 is a 28" tall tire with the 3:42's its a popular choice some guys run 373's with the 28" tire, really depends on transmission and rear gears and what your combo is, alot of people really need to learn the science of gear ratio and the factor of tire size and how it impacts the setup..as a matter of fact i also need to learn more about it.
mt et streets suck in the rain or a light drizzle really gets scary with a posi, but ive ran nitto's on a rx7 and had positive experience..even in rain..

ET Street Radials work well for almost any car. They have taken my 3400 lb Firebird into 9's and my 4600 lb Mercedes into 10's.

As for height - there are a lot of variables there. Basically, regardless of application you want to be crossing the line just before you hit the rev limiter. You increase the height of the tire if you are hitting the limiter too soon, or decrease the tire height if you are maybe just shifting into 3rd.

I have not used the M&H's; but have heard good things about them. Nitto would be my last choice.

formula i think you have it backwards..? or am i wrong ?

taller the tire would result in less rpm, smaller tire would result in higher rpm outback

I'm saying if redline is 6000 rpm, and you hit 6000 rpm 200 ft before the line, then you go to a taller tire.

If redline is 6000 rpm and you hit 4800 rpm at the line, you go to a shorter tire.

I think my original post, and your post are both correct...

FormulaZR said:
I'm saying if redline is 6000 rpm, and you hit 6000 rpm 200 ft before the line, then you go to a taller tire.

If redline is 6000 rpm and you hit 4800 rpm at the line, you go to a shorter tire.

If you're going to 6000rpm with a 3.42 geared TR in 3rd you have power well into the 9's. Electronic boost controllers with a two step rev limiter work really well for drag radial cars.

If you're going to 6000rpm with a 3.42 geared TR in 3rd you have power well into the 9's. Electronic boost controllers with a two step rev limiter work really well for drag radial cars.

I was just using nice round numbers for example...

My point is you use tire height the same as gear ratio. Typically the shorter they are, the quicker you are...unless they are too short and you run out of gear.

FormulaZR said:
I was just using nice round numbers for example...

My point is you use tire height the same as gear ratio. Typically the shorter they are, the quicker you are...unless they are too short and you run out of gear.
Yes and i always go for the tallest widest tire then gear for the mph@rpm I'm looking for. Taller tires or numerically lower gears will cause the engine to drive into the converter longer and will make the coupling rpm later. I just do whatever I can to keep the engine as close to peak power as long as I can.

Yes and i always go for the tallest widest tire then gear for the mph@rpm I'm looking for. Taller tires or numerically lower gears will cause the engine to drive into the converter longer and will make the coupling rpm later. I just do whatever I can to keep the engine as close to peak power as long as I can.

Yeah. I forget this isn't my Mercedes forum....I'm sure 95% of the members already knew that. Sorry.

That said. I still think we'd need to know more about the OPs car to get the best tire height.

You know I gotta say I never really thought about how the tire size was effecting my RPM. Honestly I feel a little dumb not realizing that.

Okay first my intentions with my car:

Car shows, dates with the wife and track time. Not in that order. Car is more of a race car than anything else. I will only be in the rain if I get caught in it.

Last year I was going though the lights between 5500-5800 in FOURTH gear with a 3.42 ratio and a 26.1" tire. (I was winding out third to 5700 ish before shifting to fourth.)

This year I will be running 3.45 gears so looks like a taller tire is in order. Time for a little math then just gotta pick a tire.

:D Ten's would be fine with me!

You know I gotta say I never really thought about how the tire size was effecting my RPM. Honestly I feel a little dumb not realizing that.

Okay first my intentions with my car:

Car shows, dates with the wife and track time. Not in that order. Car is more of a race car than anything else. I will only be in the rain if I get caught in it.

Last year I was going though the lights between 5500-5800 in FOURTH gear with a 3.42 ratio and a 26.1" tire. (I was winding out third to 5700 ish before shifting to fourth.)

This year I will be running 3.45 gears so looks like a taller tire is in order. Time for a little math then just gotta pick a tire.

What were your times? I'll admit, I'm no TR expert...but I've never known a GM tranny that could hold power in OD.

I just did some math. 5500 rpm, .67:1 OD ratio, 3.42 gears, and a 26" tire is 185 mph trap speed...which would be 7 sec 1/4's, I believe.

Your converter is crap if thats the case. I went roughly 140mph in 3rd last friday at the strip and the last frame of WOT was 5750rpm.

I have the 9/11 from TCS performance. I was going to send it back to Rusty to have it restalled.

i always use 3rd gear no overdrive with a tall tire. i was shifting 2-3 @6000 rpm, but didn't pay attention to the trap rpm. i know it wasn't done. i don't know anyone that races and uses OD

I have the 9/11 from TCS performance. I was going to send it back to Rusty to have it restalled.
If its a lock and it cant be locked at WOT it will be har dot get it tight enough up top and have it work ok down low if youre making any power.