What intercooler are you running and for what reasons have you made this selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is much like the old ATR front mount. Is that the GTR intercooler core? That core has some nice specs. The have a few similar configurations that are longer and narrower that offer low pressure losss. I like it.
Those look like the EV25 end tanks so it couldn't be the GTR intercooler.
It's a Bell core. The tanks aren't specific to anything. The only way you're getting flow with a narrow core is a vertical design like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at this style flipped over with the inlet tank turned the other way. The center outlet would make the the piping simpler along with a 90* elbow. This one they rate at about 950hp, 1453cfm and 1.5 pressure drop. The also make one rated for more hp.
img-67930-csvul14484917996006-large.jpg

I looked at this style flipped over with the inlet tank turned the other way. The center outlet would make the the piping simpler along with a 90* elbow. This one they rate at about 950hp, 1453cfm and 1.5 pressure drop. The also make one rated for more hp.
View attachment 287828
Well 1453cfm is quite a bit and is probably about 150-200 more than what most horizontal flow Intercoolers are capable of.

Looking and comparing the two cores you mentioned, it doesn't make sense that the longer hit flow length core flow more than the short with all the same length and width dimensions.
AG

Well 1453cfm is quite a bit and is probably about 150-200 more than what most horizontal flow Intercoolers are capable of.
AG

More than double what most horizontal flow are capable of

View attachment 287828
They appear to have some errors on their site. They have units with longer pass and same thickness rated at higher flow? Also there's a 1000% chance the cores are Chinese based on their price. We're not looking to work around or offer another Chinese intercooler.

I don't know where the cores are made or if anyone has used them. I just thought the general style could be useful since you are attempting to improve on the old ATR design and function.

I don't know where the cores are made or if anyone has used them. I just thought the general style could be useful since you are attempting to improve on the old ATR design and function.
Both designs here are not taking into account any prior designs. These were brainstormed and cores selected based on what we are planning for space. The cast tank design was used to save some fab time. I'll likely be doing a similar unit with sheet metal that's 4.5" thick for a couple cars. For 93/alky or e85 this cast tank design will more than get it done. Pressure drop minimal

After some research, Treadstone seems to be in the middle ground, not up to Garrett and Bell but not like the Ebay stuff. Supposedly they are made in America, but unconfirmed. Some gave good points to the welds and end tanks. Seems people have had good results especially moving up from the ebay stuff. The core design leans toward flow over ultimate cooling compared to the Garrett, etc. Probably not for a max effort drag car, although one 175mph car reported using them successfully. So they are probably worth a try for someone looking for something better than the bad ebay level stuff but can't afford the top level stuff. Here's one of the larger units on a new install. No results known. Bison, early on in the thread you mentioned the idea of low pressure loss vs higher cooling. From there you went on talk about the vertical style for flow which some members here might not know was used by ATR. Everything we see for us today is horizontal style. It's good to see new possiblities.
treadstone.jpg

After some research, Treadstone seems to be in the middle ground, not up to Garrett and Bell but not like the Ebay stuff. Supposedly they are made in America, but unconfirmed. Some gave good points to the welds and end tanks. Seems people have had good results especially moving up from the ebay stuff. The core design leans toward flow over ultimate cooling compared to the Garrett, etc. Probably not for a max effort drag car, although one 175mph car reported using them successfully. So they are probably worth a try for someone looking for something better than the bad ebay level stuff but can't afford the top level stuff. Here's one of the larger units on a new install. No results known. Bison, early on in the thread you mentioned the idea of low pressure loss vs higher cooling. From there you went on talk about the vertical style for flow which some members here might not know was used by ATR. Everything we see for us today is horizontal style. It's good to see new possiblities.
View attachment 287859
Yes. If you look at just about everything out there that's really fast running air/air they are vertical. Flow always becomes a problem when you have limited space. You won't find horizontal flow cores on high rpm v8 engjnes. The core thickness would have to be close to 10" for something that could rev to 8000rpm with 400ci or pressure drop will be bad. Easy way to crunch intercooler and compare on a flow basis is doubling the pass will cut the flow in half. Doubling the thickness will double the flow. Or the opposite of each other. For cooling core design and mass come into play since most of the heat exchange is directly into the mass of the core. Not to ambient air as most like to think. There's a point of diminishing return and you will add unnecessary weight if adding too much mass. If it was up to me and had to sacrifice a 3% increase in outlet temps to reduce pressure drop 3-4psi and I'm limited on turbo I know which way I'm going!

Nice work. I just had brackets fabricated to allow my PTE SLIC to mount up straight and have the shroud in the correct orientation so air will enter it and hopefully give it the most efficient cooling of intake charge.

3edcb2c7bf6f3533ce500d67d774b3d9.jpg
4279d0d63a6bd1804cf0bef1c434520f.jpg
8409f43c93f4cfa64efeb6b5fe9c1361.jpg

Almost complete, going to fit it to the car next and measure up the inlet and outlet for trimming for the v band clamps.
AG

Any updates on this intercooler?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Any updates on this intercooler?

Its mounted up in the car but I'm still waiting on getting the headers made. Hoping to have it done by end of December and maybe dyno pulls this winter sometime. .
AG.

Love the intercooler. Are you going to make another one for me lol PayPal?

Love the intercooler. Are you going to make another one for me lol PayPal?

Can do anything for the write amount of money. This one wasn't cheap. Core alone was $1100 and the tank material was probably another $250 ish. Fabrication cost even more $$$. I would bet its over $2500 after its all done and that's not including the intercooler pipes. So with that being said I would rather test it before burning someone's money. Bison and I have another more economical solution but that's in its fabrication stages and not completed yet.
AG.

I'm a cheap ass so I'm gonna ask, those of us with older intercoolers such as first gen duttweillers, eastern performance, etc, what would you charge to update them to a good quality intercooler core. I got a first gen duttweiller. The side tanks are nice and solid, pipes are still nice, but i'm sure the core used on these werent the best. Look like bottom barrel to me.

I'm a cheap ass so I'm gonna ask, those of us with older intercoolers such as first gen duttweillers, eastern performance, etc, what would you charge to update them to a good quality intercooler core. I got a first gen duttweiller. The side tanks are nice and solid, pipes are still nice, but i'm sure the core used on these werent the best. Look like bottom barrel to me.
There's about zero gain in changing cores on those. The design of the Intercooler is what matters most.

There's about zero gain in changing cores on those. The design of the Intercooler is what matters most.

Is the design like the old ATR or Kenne Bell FM's better? They both seem to be vertical flow although I am sure core technology has come a ways from when those were offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.