what gear to heat your slicks up in

BOSS 6

:confused: :confused: was wondering what gear do I need to heat my slicks up in, before putting it in drive to make a pass.:confused: :confused:

1st 2nd and 3rd. Till you see some smoke and thats it.

I always put mine in second,it will get the tires spinning alot faster than leaving it in first,I also use m/t slicks,so just when you see smoke roll out and your good,oh if you can drive around the burnout box and back in,because the front tires pick water up and and and get the slicks wet again,just some food for thought:biggrin:

1-2 (second gear). No need for the tires to spin 3rd gear speed.
I understand it can be a little hard on things to stop the tires from 3rd gear speed, and the 2-3 shift in a burnout isn't too cool for things either.

...But racing has never been easy on parts anyway.

Whatever you do, it's more important to be consistent in what you do.

ElectraJim

1-2 (second gear). No need for the tires to spin 3rd gear speed.
I understand it can be a little hard on things to stop the tires from 3rd gear speed, and the 2-3 shift in a burnout isn't too cool for things either.

...But racing has never been easy on parts anyway.

Whatever you do, it's more important to be consistent in what you do.

ElectraJim

The 2-3 shift while burning out isnt a problem. Its when you come out of the burnout and the converter starts to multiply torque again where things can break.

The 2-3 shift while burning out isnt a problem. Its when you come out of the burnout and the converter starts to multiply torque again where things can break.

I don't have to worry about that because mine just stalls when I let off the throttle after a burnout. Built in safety feature of a small converter. :)

Jim

I start my burnout in first then shift to second....then once i see smoke...i wait for a second then roll it out to the line....

I don't have to worry about that because mine just stalls when I let off the throttle after a burnout. Built in safety feature of a small converter. :)

Jim

That is no good for the turbo since it was partially spooled and there is no oil pressure when it stalls and is still spooled:eek: . You need a IAC adjustment in your stand alone program or a new chip.

Just leave the car in drive, when it spins into 3rd gear it is much easier to do the burnout as it is on top of the tires and then you can choose when to stop the burnout instead of the car grabbing so hard when it tries to hook while spinning in a lower gear. seems easiest on tranny because it is under very little load on top of the tires. May need a pinned govenor as well

Put it second
Burn out 1st til she shifts to second and a romp the gas a lil while lifting off the brake.
I usually do one dry hop and then stage.

Dont do smoky burnouts with MT DR just spin em over to clean off and stage.

1 gear burnouts with the 400trans.. i just feather her in first, in till i see smoke and roll out like brent in his video.. any other gear, you just waiting for things to break..

I got first hand knowledge of that... I think I might be the only guy in history to completely snap his driveshaft in half exiting the burnout box.:eek:

I got first hand knowledge of that... I think I might be the only guy in history to completely snap his driveshaft in half exiting the burnout box.:eek:

Your not the only one ive seen it happen a few times.

That is no good for the turbo since it was partially spooled and there is no oil pressure when it stalls and is still spooled:eek: . You need a IAC adjustment in your stand alone program or a new chip.

I hadn't thought of that. I was kidding anyway - mostly. It does stall once in awhile. Here's one where it didn't:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLbrqU7rI4A[/YOUTUBE]

I just smoke 'em until the guy with the limp tells me to stop. I've never had much luck with the Drag Radials unless I smoke them like that.

Jim

Jim

Mine did that for years with a 3000 and a 3400 converter with numerous chips than when I installed a turbo tweek chip and it stopped.:confused:

I have a th400 and my trans builder and others here have said to finish your burnout in 3rd gear to limit stress.

I start in manual 1st and shift to 2nd. Full line pressure in manual 1st and 2nd as per Eric@Dynotech who builds my transmissions.