What gauges to get and where..

utleybanshee

just got my grand national and its all stock.. its an 84 t-top and i converted to the 87 drivetrain.. i havent taken it to a benny yet.. but i would like to get the scanmaster and gauges while i wait.. So what gauges should i be purchasing, far as what needs to be monitored.. And what brand gauges do you guys like to go with.. I would like to have all matching gauges if possible.. Thanks.. in Advance...

0_IMAG0007-1.jpg

I'd go with Boost, water temp, oil pressure, and knock detector, but that's just me. Put boost and knock in an a-pillar pod and water / oil press in a pod below the radio ahead of the shifter. VDO is a good brand. You can get the knock gauge from Caspers.

What's a benny?

What's a benny?

Great question...............I'm assuming the track.

I personally like autometer ultra lites. I also like the carbon fiber ones too. Stewart Warner has some nice looking ones.

I might get flamed for this because mostly imports use them, but Defi makes a good looking gauge.

I have an Autometer Pro-Comp Ultra Lite on the pillar, a Scanmaster, and VDO oil and water on the console.

Definitley get a boost gauge up to 30# and mount it on the pillar. You should also get a scanmaster , it has the knock gauge built in. Oil and water temp is also popular, but if you get the scanmaster it has a water temp gauge built in. I like to mount my scanmaster on the top part of my dash so it is easy to monitor knock while driving.

Definitley get a boost gauge up to 30# and mount it on the pillar. You should also get a scanmaster , it has the knock gauge built in. Oil and water temp is also popular, but if you get the scanmaster it has a water temp gauge built in. I like to mount my scanmaster on the top part of my dash so it is easy to monitor knock while driving.
the only thing i don't like about the Scanmaster is that it looks like a cheesy radar detector or something.. they should come up with one that has the "brains" hidden under the dash somewhere with an interface that fits anywhere you put a standard gauge- how kickass would it be to have the scanmaster display mounted in a pillar pod right below the boost gauge or integrated into a GNX style dash?

how kickass would it be to have the scanmaster display mounted in a pillar pod right below the boost gauge or integrated into a GNX style dash?

Hmmmm sounds like a challenge :biggrin: Actually sounds like a good idea

Ok as others have said, the basics, temp and oil guages in the console, scanmaster #1 can't tune or diagnose problems without it, boost and knock guages

Steve

the only thing i don't like about the Scanmaster is that it looks like a cheesy radar detector or something.. they should come up with one that has the "brains" hidden under the dash somewhere with an interface that fits anywhere you put a standard gauge- how kickass would it be to have the scanmaster display mounted in a pillar pod right below the boost gauge or integrated into a GNX style dash?

I totally agree...I wonder what would happen if someone took one apart to see what the display panel looks like. I wonder if it could be "separated" from the brains so that it could be mounted in the speedometer area and the unit itself located elsewhere...interesting thought.

or better yet- reconfigure the whole thing and make it fit wherever a gauge can go. someone sells an accelerometer that fits in a standard gauge hole, so it shouldn't be that hard to do. and it's not like they only sell them for the turbocharged Buick- they fit a LOT of different cars, almost all of which have custom fit gauge pods available.

I'd go with Boost, water temp, oil pressure, and knock detector, but that's just me. Put boost and knock in an a-pillar pod and water / oil press in a pod below the radio ahead of the shifter. VDO is a good brand. You can get the knock gauge from Caspers.

X2...