What gas brand do you like?

Matt Weiser

It's an F.U.V.
I've always heard certain brands of gas are "better" than others, have better additives or whatever. That some knock less than others, octane and everything else being equal.

Do you prefer a certain brand of gas, or have you found some brands to be better or worse than others?

I filled up on Texaco 91 octane the other day and I see a lot less knock now than on other 91 octane brands I've tried, even with temps in the high-90s and the AC on. Is it my imagination?

Gas around here sucks so bad I can't even keep the knock down with Alcohol (Race chip, on kill all the time). I'm running Xylene now too.

I dont use anything in my TTA but Sunoco Ultra 94 (unless Im running race gas). A buddy of mine is a fuel guy for Sunoco and explained the differences, plus you can feel and see the difference in how the engine runs and the fact i get almost no KR at all...

If we had Sunoco's around here Id try them but we dont :rolleyes:

I did some experimenting with the local gas stations in VA to see what gave me the least KR.

Shell turned out to be the best with Amaco right behind it. BP was as good as Amaco also but not as good as Shell. Suprisingly Exxon gave me as much KR as the cheapy 7-11 gas so needless to say I dont bother with Exxon.

Oh, all the above was 93 octane that was put in the Sy then tested at 17psi and monitored the KR. I would then drain the tank of any remaining gas before trying the next brand.

HTH

Amoco and BP are the same. BP bought them out. I'm starting to see amoco ultimate at BP's in my area now.

Now that you mention it:
I ran Texaco back in the mid to late l'80's when they were calling their gas super-starter, or something to that effect. It was 92 0r 93 0ctane then, I believe. I sweat that it was a better gas than anything else that was readily available then. Comparatively speaking amongst other 92 or 93 0ctane gasses.
Is does not seem to be as readily available or as comparatively priced as it used to be. My turbo-t is bone stock, and it runs on Arco 91 just fine. So does the vette.
My guess is that you stumbled onto something there

Considering there is nother higher than 91 octane around here unless you want to pay $5 or more, I tried everybody's gas and found Diamond Shamrock (not sure who's gas they use) and some other little mom&pop place to have teh least KR over the big names (big prices) including Chevron, Texaco, Exxon and 76.

Go figure, I guess crappy gas is always crappy gas.............LOL

The best I can get is Amoco 91 octane also. There's also texaco and all the rest here, except BP. Still only 91 octane, is it safe to run a thrasher 92 oct street chip? My hypertech sucks.

The only other way is to go down to this one gas station that sells VP fuel for $3 a gal. 110 octane

If you are getting VP 110 octane for $3 a gallon, run a couple gallons per tank and just call it "octane booster", won't set you back much at all.

How things change...

I remember distintively this was brought up years ago, when Mike L owned the board, the final result was Chevron Techron with Shell coming in second. Some one on the board who worked in a lab had done research and found Chevron with highest premium pump gas true octane with around 93.

No 94 octane Sunoco in our area, only 92 octane:(

I'm kinda confused: Amoco bought BP, and shell used BP gas also?

What is the best gas I should run, only 91 octane up here:
texaco
amoco
shell
sinclair
ect, etc.

I worked for Amoco. We were bought by BP. All Amoco gas stations are being rebranded to look like BP stations except in areas where BP and Amoco stations are close to each other. In this case 1 of the stations will close or change over to another brand while the BP station will take on a new look. All new BP stations will carry Amoco 93 or what ever the highest octane is in your area. When you pull up to a pump at a new BP station you will be able to see the Amoco fuel sign at the pump.

For those on the west coast, we also bought Arco.

Years before I went to work for Amoco, their 93 was the only fuel my 69 camaro would not ping on.

I work in Blending and Shipping for ChevronTexaco's largest (processing 325,000 bbls of crude/day and climbing) U.S. refinery in Pascagoula, MS. I don't know about other brands but our 93 octane is ALWAYS at least 93 octane when it leaves the refinery. Heat and age allow some lighter components (Butane and Pentane mostly) to liberate from the gasoline as it sits/transports.
We check octane as it is loaded on ships/barges and it is usually 93.1 to 93.3. 93.0 is, of course, our goal because anything more is giveaway.

BTW, in our area we supply all of the gasoline for Shell, BP/Amaco through our marketing terminal (trucks). We add their respective additives (supplied to us by them) as it is loaded on the trucks. We also have a "generic" additive that goes in the gas that goes to the unbranded "Mom and Pop" type stations. The other big oil companies do the same for us in areas where we don't have refineries.

Just my .02,
We now return you to your regularly scheduled "Turbo Lounge" discussion, already in progress.

Originally posted by SinistrV6

BTW, in our area we supply all of the gasoline for Shell, BP/Amaco through our marketing terminal (trucks). We add their respective additives (supplied to us by them) as it is loaded on the trucks. We also have a "generic" additive that goes in the gas that goes to the unbranded "Mom and Pop" type stations. The other big oil companies do the same for us in areas where we don't have refineries.

He's right and it suprised me when I learned of this. Here in Tulsa all the stations get their gas from the same refinery here in town, which I think is owned by Sunoco. There are 2 convienence store chains that were started and based from here that are on almost every corner, Quik Trip and Git-n-go. They sell the majority of gas here with Quik Trip dominating by far. Otherwise, it's Texaco or Phillips 66 but the gas truck drivers tell me that everybody gets their gas from the Sunoco refinery who adds different additives depending on where the gas is going.

I used to put only Sunoco 93.5 in my car and it was the best by far according to my scan tool. Everyone in the performance scene used it and it even had a distinctive smell when burned that alerted you when someone drove by with it. Unfortunately they left town several years ago. :(