What front end parts to replace @ 160k miles?

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
My 160k mile GN is mighty soft in the front..... front suspension is all stock...... I think the first $$ I need to spend is on a new set of stock replacement coil springs....... but am curious what you guys recommend?

I am currently on a tight budget... so small steps for me.

I have no swaybar up front, but a HR Parts bar in the rear.... shocks/springs are stock all the way around.

The car is making a good bit of power (10 sec capable on 20 psi boost) and is 95% street driven.....

Suggestions?

Make a list of what you want out of the car and then do some research on how you want to get there. It will be easier for you to buy the parts in pieces until you get all the parts, and then do the work. It might take longer but if you do it all at 1 time it will be easier than doing 1 or 2 parts at a time and having to get an alignment each time you change something.;)

with that many miles, i'd be changing all the wear items- tie rods, ball joints, idler arm, bushings, etc- before worrying about any upgrades. buy a little here and a little there- a couple of parts per paycheck if that's how you are doing it- and pretty soon you'll have a room full of parts just waiting to go onto your car... the fastest and maybe even cheapest way to do this is to get a set of upper and lower control arms from a junkyard and get the new bushings and balljoints put in them, then just swapping them in place of yours... the time to do the springs is when you do the lower control arm since it's gonna be apart, anyways. every other upgrade- sway bars, shocks, etc- can come later if money's tight.

thats what I did...i bought the parts a little bit at a time and spent an entire saturday (14 hours), replacing all front end pieces including springs shocks sway bar control arm bushings...mine had 160 when i bought it also...doing everything at once saved me from having to get it aligned multiple times