What EXACTLY does a turbo do?

Boston Bulldog

I know that in simple English "turbo make car do vroom vroom real fast" What I want to know is HOW it does it, and are they worth having? Why not just beef up an 8 banger?

Absolutely better to have a "beefed up v8". Please put your pink slip in the glove box and I will have a trailer at your residence to pick up that little six banger car and rid of it for you...

when you put one on a 3.8L v6 it makes an otherwise reliable low maintenance 145hp engine into money pit that will cost you more than a new Z06 . but its fun when it works

A turbo performs the following functions: 1) costs a lot, 2) acts flaky, 3) destroys your motor and 4) dies.

Non sarcastic response:

A turbo is two wheels. One wheel is driven by hot expanding exhaust gasses, there is a rod on that wheel that connects to a second one. The second wheel sucks air in and compresses it, pushing it into the engine.

Atmospheric air pressure on a standard day is 14.7 pounds per square inch. Add another 15lbs of pressure (boost) to that and you've doubled your air density. Thus turning your 6 banger into a 12 banger under normal (non bosted) conditions, plus some extra unwanted heat.

Hot side drives the cold side via a shaft. It's like two big hair driers. One hair drier is forced to go fast because of hot expanding exhaust gasses, and therefore the other hair drier will spin as fast. This will blow more air in than then engine can ingest, therefore compressing it.

A naturally aspirated engine (no boost) can only breathe atmospheric pressure under full throttle, whereas a turbo charged or supercharged engine can breathe air that is much more dense (compressed) and therefore can burn more fuel and make more power.

Stoichiometric efficiency is where all the fuel AND air you put into an engine is burned. Add more fuel and you're blowing unburnt fuel out the tailpipe (brown smoke). Add more air and you get closer to detonation while making less power. Remember, anything extra that isn't getting burnt will instead absorb heat as the rest burns, thus reducing expansion velocity of gasses in the cylinder chamber. That will reduce power.

Hope this helps.

I might add one purpose: Here in California, it's the ONLY smog-legal way to fuel-inject the 2BBL "VIN A" version of the Buick V6. And that's the ONLY smog-legal thing you can do with it other than leave it a 2BBL "VIN A".

Last edited:
That's unusual. The typical first post goes like, "I mashed the pedal heard a noise and now it runs bad."

Absolutely better to have a "beefed up v8". Please put your pink slip in the glove box and I will have a trailer at your residence to pick up that little six banger car and rid of it for you...
LOL...No little 6 in this GN my friend! I'm running a super beefed up 383 with SERIOUS horses to the rear wheels. So that pink slip going into my glove box will be the one I have to remove your name from in order to give that Monte to my daughter when she grows up. I don't want her first car to have too much power. It is a nice looking car though, DOES IT COME IN MENS? I outgrew Monte Carlos by the time I was 30. LOL. "Little 6 banger " HA. I'll put it to you this way. I have never driven a car with less then 8 rockets. Whats a stock GN putting out? 400 horse? I'm pushing close to twice that. So go ahead and send a trailer, but you might as well put that Monte on it before it leaves. It would be coming this way anyway.

That's unusual. The typical first post goes like, "I mashed the pedal heard a noise and now it runs bad."
LOL. Thats funny shit right there. I probably would have posted that if I had not done it to my first Hot Rod 20 some odd years ago.

LOL...No little 6 in this GN my friend! I'm running a super beefed up 383 with SERIOUS horses to the rear wheels. So that pink slip going into my glove box will be the one I have to remove your name from in order to give that Monte to my daughter when she grows up. I don't want her first car to have too much power. It is a nice looking car though, DOES IT COME IN MENS? I outgrew Monte Carlos by the time I was 30. LOL. "Little 6 banger " HA. I'll put it to you this way. I have never driven a car with less then 8 rockets. Whats a stock GN putting out? 400 horse? I'm pushing close to twice that. So go ahead and send a trailer, but you might as well put that Monte on it before it leaves. It would be coming this way anyway.

Word scramble for the day......dratkuf ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^First to get it let me know lol

What exactly are the specs on that 383?

Compression ratio?

Flow numbers?

Cam specs?

Highly doubt you are producing the numbers that you claim.

If your "GN" doesn't have a turbocharged V-6, it's not really a GN any longer.

So when are you bringing that v8 GN to NED? I'd like to see it. The only v8 GN that I've seen that is respectable is from RI and has a twin turbo sbc in it. We go up Wednesdays and Fridays for street nights and sometimes on the weekends.

WOW, is this where tech has gone????????????? On to the lounge....