What Do You Think Hp Level Will Be

Travis - who's building your motor ? That's the guy you really need to be talking to.

I have a few in mind. I am really leaning toward Bill A he seems very helpful and knowledgeable. I just do not want to have to take a second mortgage out to pay him. :D Just Kidding Bill;)

Originally posted by 10SV6
You really don't need 8000 rpm to run 9's. I only needed 6800 to 7000. Granted the car is 3350, but it went 9.33, 146, with an Innovative GT80bb at 28 psi.

To give you an idea on the boost differences between a Champion headed car and a Stage II headed car. The turbo on my car now, made 30 psi with a wastegate in the crossover wide open along with the vacuum block loosened up to bleed off boost. On a real efficent stage II headed car the exact same turbo was only able to make 28-29 psi with the wastegate locked closed.

The boost we all talk about is the air the motor isn't able to take in and blow out.

The more boost you can run the bigger the cam will act. The cam in my car will only pull to 7000 rpm at under 28 psi. At 35 psi the motor went right to 7500 rpm.

Travis - who's building your motor ? That's the guy you really need to be talking to.
Very good advice!

Originally posted by njturbo
Maybe i will step up to a 230 solid. Started this project thinking i was going to be able to go to WAWA for coffee and i have since scraped that idea. This will be a race car, again i can beat on the Wife's T for some street fun. :D

Ted with a 230 or 224 am i in the ballpark on a T76. :rolleyes:
So Trav, you're not going to lose respect for me if my car becomes a trailer queen? :eek:

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
So Trav, you're not going to lose respect for me if my car becomes a trailer queen? :eek:

No Artie, I guess at this point it is what it is. You know $15k-20k I am going to protect that investment as well as I can. ;)

Originally posted by njturbo
No Artie, I guess at this point it is what it is. You know $15k-20k I am going to protect that investment as well as I can. ;)
Ohhh, you know it's going to be more than that to go 9's.... You're about half way there once you add it all up including the price of the car, cage and safety equipment to go 9's. Remember, you'll need the car certified as well as an NHRA license for yourself.

Travis, IMO either cam and a 76 will meet your goals. I would like to see you try the 230 solid. The only time my car has been to the track with the new combo the results were 135mph on 23psi, then went 135 the next pass on 21psi after getting my program straight. That's ~6300rpm through the traps on a 28" drag radial and weighing 3570. You have more heads than I, so high 9's on low boost and not spinning it to the moon shouldn't be a problem with either camshaft. You also need to consider what converter you will be running Talk to Billy A. He's been there....Later

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
I can't solve the illusive "square circle" problem of the ages but suspect the answer is 42.

>>> 42......43 whatever it takes:D

Originally posted by Reggie West
Let me add my 2 cents in here from observing our trials and tribulations.

Dad used your combo and it wont make the kind of power you are looking for. That 224 cam did not put out any more than 600 hp ( dont remember exactly) to the wheels. That was with a 72 turbo.

I have come to the conclusion that if you want 9s you need to spin the motor to 7500 to 8000 rpms. You also need to use a 400 trans with a brake. It is the only thing that will be reliable. Mind you reliable in a Buick means it .should last you a year without needing to be rebuilt.

If you want to run 9s on low boost ( whatever that is anymore ) a 76 wont do it. Not on 20 psi or in that range.

We just finished dynoing a motor with Stage 2 heads. The 74 bb turbo was all done at 24 psi. An 80 or better will do what you are looking for.

The guy I want to talk to about cams is Lonnie Diers. He is using a 244 cam ( dont know all the details but I will find out) which I thought was too big but that motor runs 9.70s I think.

Our newest idea is to spin the motor to 7500 rpms, use the 74 and see what it does. Now this one has M&A heads on it but I dont think that will make any difference. The cam is what is going to make the difference.

Hope this helps

Chris's car went 9.41@143.7 1/4 and 5.90@117 in the 1/8 with the 244 solid roller. 6800 rpm shift points and 25 psi boost LT76-q-trim turbo 3620lb with driver.

Interesting reading- I'll be running T/A Block and heads- Bored a hair under 4"- 273 motor. Heads flowed at 255 intake - 210 exhaust. Talked it over with Mike at T/A and Ken Duttweiler. Duttweiler will grind the cam. We kicked around the 230 and 224 solid roller. Ended up the 224. It was a toss up- overall- Kenny thought it would idle alittle better - Im on the street 100 miles a year. . My goal is 9.5 - to HI 9's. I will run a 76 GTQ. Im hoping to spin it at 6,500 - boost ?? Hope this gives you alittle more feed back. Hope I'm on the right track. Larry