What could have happened?

OneLethal87GN

R.I.P. Lethal GN
On the way home from hanging out Friday night I got on it a little bit and it started popping and missing. It's done this before so I assumed it was bad wires, plugs, or coil pack. The only difference this time is that I started hearing a knocking noise and saw smoke pouring out the exhaust. The smoke gets worse as you give it more gas. I pulled over and saw oil all over the engine. It seemed to have come out of the valve cover breather. I drove it home and it drove like crap. It was missing and popping and smoke was blinding the people behind me. I got it home and let it cool. A few days later I cranked it to see if I could pinpoint anything. The noise seems to be coming from the passenger side valve cover. When I give it gas it pops and blue smoke puffs out of the valve cover breather( turbo bypass kit). I'll try to take the valve cover off tomorrow and see if anything looks weird. Any of you have suggestions on what it may be? A bad valve seal, valve, rocker arm or shaft? I'm praying it's nothing inside the block. If so it's time to park this thing for good and buy something with no power so I won't be tempted to show off it's power.

Sounds like a head gasket went and is pushing oil out the breather, that or its 90.0% blown and the 10% is the firing ring left, no more graphite left on the headgasket on that cylinder.

HoW mUcH oIl iS oN ThE eNgInE?

BW

There wasn't much oil, but it was enough where I could see where it came from. What would the knocking noise in the valve cover be? Why would it pop and backfire while revving the engine? I'll try to change the oil tomorrow to see if any water is in it. I'll also check the coolant level before doing anything to see if it has dropped. Thanks for the response.

The headgasket could have blown under the intake, and no coolant was lost.

If it was a broken rocker, or pushrod fell out, then why would there have been a oil show and mesquito fogging behind the car?:redface:

I guess the valve cover could be leaking and the oil poured onto the header,??

Yeah, pull the pass side valve cover off, and inspect.
I just cant see the cloud being that bad, and the problem being a mechanical failure.

Pull it off tonight, its not late out at all!

I really hope its not a head gasket.
BW

Sorry to hear that buddy:frown: If you need any help you know where I am!

Well, I pulled the cover off and everything looked fine. Nothing was loose or broken. I jiggled all the pushrods and rocker arms. I believe the big cloud of smoke was the oil pouring out of the breather on the side of the cover, just behind the turbo. It leaked down onto the engine, header and downpipe. When I cranked it the other day the car was cold and I only let it idle for a few seconds before revving it up. Revving it caused popping and puffs of blue smoke to come out of the breather. I immediately shut it off and haven't cranked it since. Would a blown head gasket cause blue smoke to puff out of the breather only when revved? It doesn't do anything while idling except make a knocking sound. Shane, I wish I could bring it out your way but I would need to tow it and I work weird hours so working on it would be tough. Getting around would be even tougher..lol. You still want to buy this thing?..lol

Let me know dude, I can tow it for you!

Were you getting on it when it happened? Does the oil bubble when running?

I was getting on it, but not WOT. I don't go WOT much due to the bad tranny. It was under boost but I didn't notice whether the alky had kicked in yet. I have it turning on at @14 psi. It has done this popping before but I thought it was hitting the rev limiter due to the tranny not wanting to shift under heavy boost. What will a tow cost me? I have today and tomorrow off so I'm trying to do as much to it as I can. Do you have all the tools I would need to try to replace the head gasket, if that's what it is? I've never done it before but it looks pretty straightforward.

I can't do it today or tomorrow, but I will not charge you a dime to tow your car bud!

Let me know the next day you got off and I will come get it and yes we got all the tools you would need!

update

Well, after having someone check the car out they can't come up with a definite answer either. The car makes a noise at idle and blows alot of blue smoke out of the valve cover breather when revving the engine. No smoke out of the exhaust, just the breather. It also blows oil out of the breather as well. I'll pull the plugs when I get a chance. I also checked the coolant and it still has some in the reservoir and the coolant in the radiator looks nice and green. I did drive the car several miles after everything first happened so it would have had time to mix if it were a badly blown gasket. The noise actually sounds like a cracked header but the header looks fine, and wouldn't blow oil out the breather anyways. Shane, I have Tuesday and Wednesday off next week. I think I work 4 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Monday. Let me know if you can help me out man. It sucks having just one of these cars with problems, I can only imagine how you feel with about ten of these things...lol.

LOL, I guess not. I've never pulled one by myself and haven't called around yet to price it. When my engine was rebuilt a few years back I think the guy charged about $250 to R&R the engine. One guy pulled it, another guy rebuilt it, then the first guy put it back in. I have a friend who will probably do it cheaper but getting him and myself off at the same time will be quite tricky. I tell ya, a nice, reliable normal car is looking really good right now. Maybe I'll fix this and trade it in on something I don't have to worry about this much.

LOL-
do a compression test on the pass side.
That noise you are hearing is the compression leaking out under the intake manifold. Sounds like a exhaust leak cause, ummmm it really is a really bad compression leak!

Like i said earlier, you can blow a headgasket and not get into a water jacket.
I most likely blew under the intake manifold, so now when you rev it up, all that exhaust is coming up the pushrod holes into the valve cover and blowing oil out the breather.

Do the compression test and you will find a dead hole.

I am 99.99999999% sure you have a blown headgasket, do the compression test or leakdown test to varify BEFORE you pull it apart:biggrin:

You dont have to pull the motor, just yank the intake off and you will find the headgasket fire ring pushed out.

BW

I am 99.99999999% sure you have a blown headgasket, do the compression test or leakdown test to varify BEFORE you pull it apart:biggrin:

So you're .000000001% unsure?? J/K man. Hopefully I can get it to Shane's and tear a few parts off the engine and find my problem. One more question.. what's the easiest way to get the pass. side head off? I couldn't completely get the pass. side valve cover off due to all the crap in the way. Could you remove the tranny to engine bolts, pass. side engine mount and loosen the driver's side mount and tilt the engine?

You dont have to lower the motor down, stock mounts right?

Its tight, but not too bad.
Getting the valve cover off isnt real tricky, just easier with the breather off for the pass side.

Yes, .0000001 percent not sure LOL....
Oil coming out breathers under a load= bad news:eek:

You can leave the cross over still on the car, remove the pass header with the turbo still attached.
I usually leave that huge bracket that supports the turbo still bolted to the turbo and pull the entire header with turbo attached. Saves you time.
If your Downpipe hasnt been off for awhile, you need to remove the bolts from the exhaust housing when the engine is HOT.
Too often those bolts will snap off in the turbo

BW

Getting the V/C will be a breeze! We can get that head off too. I talked to Jay and he said the same thing, do a compression check and go from there. Call me this weekend and we will get it that first day you are off and go from there!

If you are really tired of it, well.......:biggrin: