Smoke at startup - VIDEO

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
Still having smoke at startup issues. The motor is a fresh rebuild, .030 over. New pistons, moly rings, cleaned up heads. It's been smoking since the first time we fired it up. Turbo was rebuilt - no change. It has 500 miles on it now. Changed the oil over the weekend - lots of fuel in it. Valve stem seals look good and the oil is draining out of the heads properly. IC was full of oil (was freshly cleaned and dry 500 miles ago), but he has the stock breather setup (plumbs into the turbo inlet bell).

Whatever the smoke is builds as it sits - the longer the car sits the more it smokes. Even when it's running - if it idles for a long time you get a puff of smoke when you first take off. Doesn't smoke any other time or at WOT.

The smoke is bluish and thus looks like oil but it doesn't smell like it. Smells like fuel.

Right click, save as (Quicktime, 6.75MB):
http://www.turbojimmy.com/smokeyt.mov

Any ideas as to what is causing this would be appreciated.

Jim

What does it have for a chip, fuel pump and injectors? If it is dumping that much fuel into the oil something is wrong!

Originally posted by CallMeMud
What does it have for a chip, fuel pump and injectors? If it is dumping that much fuel into the oil something is wrong!

All 100% stock - chip, injectors, pump and regulator. The car was totally as GM built it when we got it (except for some gaudy aluminum pedal covers). My brother promptly blew the engine after swapping on a used stock turbo. It passed NJ emissions running this way so if it is a fueling problem it's only at startup.

Thanks,
Jim

More than likely the injectors are leaking down. Have you tried different injectors that are working good from another car? Looking at the video it is on start-up and when blipping the throttle. Have you tried swapping the ECM with another one or tried a different chip? My bet is the injectors.

Oh.... I read what you posted again and thought back about some things that happened to me with this. I had that same smoke ONE time. It frustrated the hell out of me and finally showed what it was on its own. The MAF finally went out and it started bucking like crazy and barely made it home. Try that also if you have a good known unit.

Have you tried cleaning the injectors? How many miles are on them?

I've got a set of injectors here with about 25k on them. They've been sitting for a long while so I'm unsure of how clean they are, but if you want em, you can have them for free...maybe it'll help?

Originally posted by WakkoSS
Have you tried cleaning the injectors? How many miles are on them?

I've got a set of injectors here with about 25k on them. They've been sitting for a long while so I'm unsure of how clean they are, but if you want em, you can have them for free...maybe it'll help?

We swapped out the stock 114k mile injectors with my old 95k mile injectors. It didn't make a difference. Then we noticed that with the "new" injectors that the #4 plug was soaked all the time. So we swapped back IN one of the originals. So I guess the answer is I don't know if the injectors are good. My 95k mile ones worked fine when I took them out.

We swapped the MAF out with my old one (worked when I took it out). Didn't affect it. Swapped out the ECM and chip, too (from the stock one to a stock recall chip that Testa burned for me many moons ago). Same problem.

The car does stumble a bit off idle (rich, I'd assume). DS didn't really show anything unusual as far as I could tell.

Thanks for the injector offer - can't hurt to try them. I'll e-mail you on that.

Thanks all.

Jim

if i am correct that is blue smoke in the video not black, black smoke is running rich blue is oil going into the chamber,could be coming down from the valve guide seals sometimes those leak down into the motor so at initial startup the car will smoke just like that and go away a second later, but it sounds like you have more issues that just an oil leak into the combustion chamber, good luck..