What cam, pushrods, and lifters should I go with on my build? ---

alwayscode390

So far I have a razor alky kit, champion ported stock heads with Harland Sharp 1.6 roller rockers , 3" SK downpipe, pte-44 turbo, and will be using a FAST management system.

What cam, lifters, and pushrods should I get to complete the upper valvetrain?

I am sure there is are a few proven "community favorite" cam grinds out there.

Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks :) ---

Whats your ET goal? Street car , street strip...make long trips sometimes? What size stall? If you are keeping the 44?

Whats your ET goal? Street car , street strip...make long trips sometimes? What size stall? If you are keeping the 44?

I would just like a reliable car. I may make the Power Tour trip with it someday ( 4000 miles ) ... but it will mainly be a to and from the track car ( 30 miles one way max ).

There is a cam in it right now and it lopes like crazy ( dont know what cam , thats why I am pulling it ) ... I love a lopey cam so I would want to go as lopey as possible without the stalling factor. (I have a vid of it idling).

Good question about the stall ... if you have a cam in mind , recommend a stall for me too.

ET's arent a big worry ... low 12's or high 11's would make me happy. I am keeping the te-44.

If its still a FT then slap a stock cam in there if you are only wanting high 11's ....thats with ease. If you do that then use zddp and 979 springs and stock pushrods..thats if the deck or heads havent been cut.
If you want to go roller then a 206/206....If you do a roller call Dan at DLS he will set you up.
Lopey cam in our cars arent needed for your application and are waaaay overkill. And would be like playing cards in your bike spokes making noise but aint doing jack for performance.
Toatal package is key...high 11's and lopey cam...just dont go

PTc 10" 2600ish L/U will be the ticket

What cam would you call the first step up from a stock cam? Low 11's wouldnt hurt if I already have the parts to support it.

Would the 2600 stall still be what I would use for it?

I was thinking roller, but dont want to have the engine out of the car anytime soon for the machine work.

Stock cam just doesnt sound fun HAHAHA ---

No machine work needed for roller ...... The above mentioned cam is a good street strip cam for your ET range.

The stall would help get the 44 out the hole...if car hooks....But you can use the stock stall..... IMO the TE44 needs more than stock to get good boost response.

Really think about what you want. Pick a ET range and build around that...Combo Combo Combo!!! Did I mention Combo.

How heavy is your car?

I remember having a unopened stock engine with only alky, DR's, exh, intake and turbo and spanking ported head and cam Turbo regals.
They would have this huge sloppy stall that slipped like a mof on the big end or over way too much cam and turbo and was just a non responsive turd on the street.

My heads already have Harland Sharp 1.6 roller rockers installed ... and have been clearanced for them.

I thought for a roller setup something had to be changed internally of the engine ( cam button or something to keep the cam from walking ).

Thanks for the roller cam and stall recommendation.

Who sells a good roller lifter for these engines? Do you have to use lifters with bars installed to keep them from turning in the bore?

The car is stock weight. ---

There are a few different cam thrust setups. DLS has a roller thrust buttons with shims to set up end play that works well no machining required.
Morel lifters would be fine.
Order everything from Dan at DLS...his pricing is right along with everyone else. His cams make good power.

Awesome, I will definately go the DLS route too.

I have a set of small block chevy Morels with link bars ... I wonder if those fit in our bores or do the buicks take a different size?

Are the morels you are talking about with link bars ?

Thanks ---

Yeah...not sure on the SBC rollers gotta have the shrouded foot or you have oil hemmorage

Unless you are going with more turbo you will likely hurt performance with a larger cam. You determine the pushrod length after you have the cam in. No point in guessing. 941 springs are cheap and work well with any of the common cams out there. Comp 885 lifters with no preload.

I had great results with the 212/212 Comp roller and 885's.

Then you dont have to worry about oil's wiping out the cam and killing the turbo.

Turbo could be a touch bigger like a 6265. At 21-22 PSI should run 123-125 upper 10's low 11's depending on 60 on pump gas with the alky kit.. I ran on those heads, a 212 roller, and a TE63 10.5's at 132 27 PSI boost

What is this oil wiping out the cam and killing the turbo stuff? The 885's will prevent this? Those are the comp cam pro magnum lifters right? I used to hear the clips came out of them and they were noisy (from the lt1 guys) ... are those an issue with our engines?

I went with the te44 because I heard its a great street turbo, I wanted a turbo that would have almost instant boost.

Im not terribly worried about e.t.'s

The car has 50# injectors on it right now ... what injectors do you guys recommend if I run the 106/106 roller cam, champion ported heads/intake, 3" SK dp, te-44 turbo, duttneck intercooler, 3" magnaflow exhaust, and 62mm throttle body on a ported plenum? This will be on a stock bottom end.

I wont be running alcohol injection at first.

Will this need to be custom tuned , or can Turbo Tweak burn me a chip for my setup if I run a 3 bar map? I have scanmaster hooked up. Thanks :) ---

Turbotweak can burn you a chip.

If you want high 11's the 50's should be fine with a good fuel pump. However, without methanol they will be maxed out.

Buy the methanol now....