FTS 210/215 cam

Spawn1987

Hey everyone, I had a question concerning the new cam I just purchased from Full Throttle for the build I'm getting ready to do in my '87 GN. I bought their 210/215 cam to replace the stock one due to suspected worn lobe(s). Another reason for rebuild is to replace bearings, rather than having it grenade under load. It had around 70 psi oil pressure at cold idle, and around 12 at hot idle. Still ran great before pulling, with over 150 psi compression in all 6 cylinders. My current set up is going to be:

Champion ported iron heads
Harland sharp roller rockers
Harland sharp roller lifters
FTS 210/215 cam
60 lb. Injectors
TT chip
Alky injection
Precision 5831 turbo
3" DP
2 1/2" dual magnaflows
Stock intercooler for now
Cloyes double roller chain
Tinman cold air
Built trans with 2500 stall
Turbosaver
Arp studs throughout
And there are other usual add ons like scanmaster, gauges, etc.

My concern is the streetability of this particular cam with this setup after its built. I don't intend on taking it to the track that often, more of a play on the street build.i was hoping someone with a similar build could chime in on what to expect, or if a different cam should be considered. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Seems like an overkill cam for that small of a turbo? Stock cams are good into the 10s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was the cam recommended by FTS. Most everything in this setup was put together by them. I thought it was a little large as well, but I got a good deal on everything. What kind of characteristics will it have with this setup?

I had the a turbonetics T58 DBB with a 3k stall and it was fast spooling on the street with a stock cam. Someone with a similar build as yours will chime in soon I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its still a baby cam imo and will make peak power around 5200 rpm and should carry out to 5700 on a ported iron setup. Driveability will be almost unchanged compared to stock in my experience. There should be 0 lope and no surging. I ran this cam with a TE44, 6152E and later my 6776 turbo and had no issues with it.

That's good to hear. I was hoping someone with similar build would already have the experience. I just want a decent setup to play with, but not be obnoxious to drive. Thanks for all the info!

That's good to hear. I was hoping someone with similar build would already have the experience. I just want a decent setup to play with, but not be obnoxious to drive. Thanks for all the info!
Honestly Ive run a small 208 flat tappet from ATR, a 204/214 flat tappet, 210/215 FTS roller, and a 218/212 comp roller and all of them drove almost the exact same with no noticeable change in driveability. My dad has a 215/220 FTS roller and it idles really really smooth as well. All of these cams are setup with negative overlap and low lift on gentle lobes that are nice for a driver that you arne't trying to shift at 6800.

I've ran this cam, zero issues, I agree with JDS that driveabilty will feel very close to stock.

I also have this came in one of my cars. ta49, 42lbs injectors and stock everything else. Drives stock and pulls great. Its been good to me.

Wouldn't it have been easier to pull the valve covers and measure your lobes before tearing the engine apart and spending a bunch of money? Now you're going to have even more variables if/when it gets put back together.

That cam will be fine on the streets . It isn’t big at all . Is it a roller ?

I've had the car on stands since September, had an engine build in an srt8 jeep and suspension build on an old bronco to do. Which put me behind. Add that up with valve cover clearance issues, and it's been a pain. New body mount bushings, motor mounts, and it still won't clear the passenger side.