what are my options?!?

John84GN

Nice Monte...
In a previous post, i said that my car was overheating, and that I would check it out w/ Turbolink...

Well...I did, and yes it is running those high temps...(210-230) with a 160 thermo. :eek:

When I posted this before a couple of guy's mentioned upgrading to an LS1 Camaro radiator, but;

should I:

1) get the radiator "rotted out"
2) buy a new "stock" radiator
3) upgrade to a new radiator that you guy's are going to suggest?!?

For what it's worth...I've never had a problem...EVER w/ a radiator until I used RMI-25...I put it in my GN, My dads work van, and my moms Roadmaster about 4 months ago...In the past month...moms car has gotten a new radiator due to overheating, and dads work van is running in the 230-250 degree range, and now the GN is showing the same symtoms, and I'm even running a 160 thermo. Is all this a coincidence...? I think NOT!

Thanks guy's!

I got a new radiator for a V8 engine Gbody from Auto Zone. Price was not expensive and had lifetime warranty. Ive had it for a few years now, and no problems whatsoever. Quality is good. Ive got the same brand (GDI) from the same place on my Suburban too (for probably about 4+ years now) and no problems.

part # for radiator: 433162
price: $83.99
vehicle I referenced was a v8 (probably .307) '86 Regal.

Another option is what I was thinking of switching to some time down the line. The Fbody aluminum radiator which is alot lighter nad should run alot cooler. Also from Auto Zone:
part #: 433918
price: $118
reference vehicle: '90 Camaro Iroc (5.7L/.350ci)

As far as the RMI-25. I have heard nothing but good stuff about it. I know that it cleans the system too, right? Maybe it has loosened built up gunk in your engine(s) that needs to be flushed out. Then refill and add another shot of RMI-25.
Just off memory dont you use RMI-25 with straight water? (not sure if thats right or not, maybe just for summer?).

i have also been wanting to get a new radiator
but i have been running into some trouble finding the proper one

everyone i have been given, has the trans cooler lines , screw in from the side facing the engine
now mine, has the trans lines wrapping around the radiator, and screwing into the front of the radiator.

anyone have a clue why mine could be this way? its never been touched before :confused:

maybe there is a diff part number, or perhaps a select few had a diff radiator in there :confused:

I have been very happy with Nick Micale's radiator , he also is the vender for the RMI-25 that everyone runs. Nick works on hotair cars and knows them very well. He's helped me out more than a few times :D .

here's a link for more info:

http://www.arizonagn.com

fan clutch or electric fans?

maybe the fan clutch is bad. i had a radiator that had plugged up and when i drained the one side was still full. im going to a v8 radiator with electric fans .andy:confused:

I would go with something new, either stock or bigger radiator.
Went to a new stocker and with A/C on 100 degree days here in Ok, I run about 172 degrees at most. Recoring,vatting is a waste IMO.
:D

I would definately upgrade to the V8 rad, I went with the standard V8 rad for G-bodies and added the Ramchargers dual electric fan setup. Last year the highest temps I ever saw, even when cruising in 100º heat, was 164º! :eek: Bear in mind, I have removed my AC condenser as well and have an external trans/oil cooler combo, but it's the ultimate in cooling efficiency IMO.

ok i see all u guys addin electric fans and v8 radiators which is my next move but what im wondering is u guys that already have the electric fans hooked up did u remove the stock fan on the pulley? did u just bolt it off got rid of it or still on there/.?

fans

just take fan and clutch off and bolt pulley down i used lock washers just because. andy

Well guy's, I did the F-body swap yesterday, and man, was it a difference...The install itself took about 40 minutes, and everything went perfectly...I had no problem at all w/ the trans cooler lines...they bolted right up...The only thing that I had to do was to support the top of the radiator b/c it was about 1/4" shorter, and the top radiator shroud would not hold it. I supported it w/ what else......zip ties! Works and look Excellent!

I went cruising last night, and w/ the A/C on (90 degrees outside), the hightest I saw was about 175, but it pretty much stayed in the 165-170 range...Alot different from the 230 I was used to seeing! :eek:

Anyway...Thanks for all the help guy's, and I'll post some pics of the install when I get a chance...

John