What Alky?

blckgnx

Older Member
Got Razor's Alky kit installed and electrically checked, got TT alky chip installed, and? what "kind" of alky is recomended? Went to Home Depot and all they carry is Denatured? Rite aid thinks I'm crazy for wanting 5 gals of Methyl Ethyl? I'm up in the mountains, so no Race gas place within 100 miles? Please help!! I drive the car about 30-50 miles aday, and very little drag racing (once in six months), and I live at 4,000 ft. Thanks in advance, Ron

I use air-brake anti-freeze... Straight methanol... A friend has a bunch just sitting and he doesn't need it, so I use it. :) Works fine for me. Just make sure its only methanol, should be clear and have no odor, mine comes in white quart bottles just like oil. If you touch it and hold up your finger, it should get really cold...Make sure to wash it off good though since its highly poisonous.

Thats correct, from what I understand, straight methanol is most effective. Boost has a good point as well if you have a decent shop near you that carries/can order it. Usually comes in a big drum (3-5 gal) and you may need a pump for it to make your life easier... :)

Well guys, that's what I get for living up here! Looks like a trip down the hill soon. Thanks again, at least I know what I'm looking for now. Ron

I dont know if you have anyone up there that does much round tracking but down here in the south there are a lot of guys that run methanol in there round track cars, I found a guy who was glad to help me and sell it to me when i need some, his also has an additive already that he mixes in for lubrication;) Works great in mine.

I dont know if you have anyone up there that does much round tracking but down here in the south there are a lot of guys that run methanol in there round track cars, I found a guy who was glad to help me and sell it to me when i need some, his also has an additive already that he mixes in for lubrication;) Works great in mine.

No additives... It will kill the pump.

Straight methanol.

Hope this helps.

Met a roundy rounder this AM at the local Napa store. End of his season and no alky left, but did turn me on to a place in Bakersfield. Soon, very soon, I'm chompin at the bit waiting to try this set-up! What about beer?, definitely has alky in it. Would it work, short term? Ron

I have a Vette shop thats been running VPM3 now for a while and not had any pump issues... the M3 has a built in lubricant from VP.

The deal is in the 4 years i've been doing this, and the pump failures we've witnessed... they all have been from petroleum products run through the pump. At what point does lube create the issue... at what concentration... what brand of lube.. etc.. dont know. This is why I recommend not running the lube.... of any kind.

Now as to beer... dont buy the beer.. buy methanol.. much better for ya :D At least you'll get a speed fix handled.. dont drink it tho.. pretty nasty stuff :eek:

Met a roundy rounder this AM at the local Napa store. End of his season and no alky left, but did turn me on to a place in Bakersfield. Soon, very soon, I'm chompin at the bit waiting to try this set-up! What about beer?, definitely has alky in it. Would it work, short term? Ron

Looks like your best choice is to drive down the hill and purchase the methanol. Why you are down there you might as well purchase a minimum of 5 gallons. Not sure how your shops sell it but I have to supply my own cans or purchase 55 gallons at a time. If your not sure it might be worth a phone call to see how they sell it.

I have a Vette shop thats been running VPM3 now for a while and not had any pump issues... the M3 has a built in lubricant from VP.

The deal is in the 4 years i've been doing this, and the pump failures we've witnessed... they all have been from petroleum products run through the pump. At what point does lube create the issue... at what concentration... what brand of lube.. etc.. dont know. This is why I recommend not running the lube.... of any kind.

Now as to beer... dont buy the beer.. buy methanol.. much better for ya :D At least you'll get a speed fix handled.. dont drink it tho.. pretty nasty stuff :eek:

Hmmm, the beer or the methanol? LOL, really, I got it, just want to enjoy this system ASAP and don't like the drive to Bakes! By the way, I'm very impressed with your destructions and quality of the kit. Most complete I've ever worked with. AND EVERYTHING FIT LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSED TOO!!!!!
I used to work on cars for a living, and this is a FIRST!! Many Kudos to you, Razor for putting this kit together for all us Buick guys, I shoulda done this mod first, live and learn. Thanks again, Ron from Tehachapi